Cameras, Comms, and Video

Joybringer

Reaction score
While I'm waiting for the barbie to warm up...

I've already bought my main weapon of choice for still photographic purposes, and very pleased I am, too:-

1028301.jpg

Then, after watching a few videos of rides on here and elsewhere, I started thinking about also taking video. I'm not that 'into' videography anymore, but thought if I could find a cheap enough camera and set-up, I might give it a go as the trip looks set to be something of epic proportions, and could share some moving [sic] memories...

So I've ordered one of these...:thumb2

1029054.jpg

My reasoning being, that as it's waterproof (to 4 metres!) it'll be easier to wash off the dozens of flying insects it's bound to attract, but the video image quality is (apparently) extremely good. As it's smaller and lighter than a proper video camera, it should sit more easily on a RAM mount. The quality and image perpective is better than a bullet- or helmet-cam, too.

If all else fails, it could make for some interesting pictures in the communal jacuzzi...:eek:

I also mentioned using an Autocom somewhere else. Because I really want to get as wireless as possible, I've flogged that and ordered a Scala Rider Q2 together with the Zumo 660.

md_Cardo-Scala-Rider-Q2-full.jpg

So, if anyone else has one, at least we can chat en route - up to 3 can be linked, apparently???

Anyhow, the barbie's nearly ready, so I'll be off.

Yoy

Oddly enough I'll also be bringing one of these :-

1028301.jpg

However, I GOT MINE FIRST :D

There's quite a nice video mode too on the G10 but obviously only suitable for hand held short clips.

For on-bike video I have one of these :-

hq2bulletcamera.jpg

and one of these :-

hqr2menuffmed.jpg

Not decided on a suitable mount for the bullet cam yet. I have a helmet mount but I think the best results are achieved by using an on-bike mount, although not one that shows the speedo :augie

:comfort

I owe you a beer for your part in helping me switch to the dark side...

The video gear's a nice bit of kit! What's the quality like in terms of field of view, curvature distortion, etc??

Hadn't thought about mounting the Pentax on my helmet, though...:blast

To be honest I haven't had a play with the bullet cam yet. The standard lens is very wide-angle so I bought a few others with a more natural perspective. From what I can see it's about the best quality option out there - for a bullet cam. The recorder is compact and light too which were important criteria.

For me on-bike video is a bit of fun so I'm prepared top compromise on image quality. Having said that it will record at 720x576 and 25fps although I haven't tested the quality yet. The wired LANC remote means I can start and stop video easily at the push of a big button.

It's the photographs I'm more concerned about and as you have found out the G10 is actually quite a capable bit of kit :thumb2 Only flaw I've found so far is that high ISO performance is grainy, but that's unlikely to be an issue on our trip.

yoy forgot to ask did you use yr video cam today and if so was it any good ?:

Then, after watching a few videos of rides on here and elsewhere, I started thinking about also taking video. I'm not that 'into' videography anymore, but thought if I could find a cheap enough camera and set-up, I might give it a go as the trip looks set to be something of epic proportions, and could share some moving [sic] memories...

So I've ordered one of these...:thumb2

1029054.jpg

My reasoning being, that as it's waterproof (to 4 metres!) it'll be easier to wash off the dozens of flying insects it's bound to attract, but the video image quality is (apparently) extremely good. As it's smaller and lighter than a proper video camera, it should sit more easily on a RAM mount. The quality and image perpective is better than a bullet- or helmet-cam, too.
Yoy

I have the W10 on a ram mount. I use an 8GB SanDisk Ultra II SD card. Which I thinks copes with the frames per second and the quality and worth the 20 odd quid. The camera works well, but the power button is not glove friendly. The trick I find is to set the camera up so it won't power off automatically, but the battery will die after an hour or so - so don''t forget to take your charger, or get a spare battery (or both). I find a clip of about 2 mintues long is about right. That way you can get quite a few clips per day. It is fairly easy to use the shutter button and to change modes to take stills - use it on sports though. It can be distracting at first so get the hand of it before you get onto the twisty bits and don't be tempted to use half way into the bend :blast :rob.

Have fun

oh and you can clean flies off dead easy

:thumb Thanks - good tips. Where I can get some decent SD cards at a good price?

Here's my first attempt...

...bearing in mind that this is the first time mounted and used, so don't expect Oscar-winning quality!:mmmm

I'll do as suggested, in future, and keep the clips shorter!

Talking about quality, this is compressed from 880Mb to 200odd, so there is a distinct lack of quality compared to playing the full, unadulterated version.

Anyhow, about 10 minutes of a fast conga along one of Yorkshire's finest twisties...

Are embedded vids ok, here? If not, Mods, please delete and I'll just post the link.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7Gj3EykxaU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7Gj3EykxaU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Here's my first attempt...

...bearing in mind that this is the first time mounted and used, so don't expect Oscar-winning quality!:mmmm

Well done, not too shabby at all :clap
Dubious choice of backing track at times :rolleyes: but I would be pretty pleased with that :thumb2
Nice roads by the way ;)

Sheep Rustler - my arse. :mad:

That DAS course has done my riding the world of good. :aidan

Excellent day and great Vid thank you very much:thumb2

Sheep Rustler - my arse. :mad:

That DAS course has done my riding the world of good. :aidan

Excellent day and great Vid thank you very much:thumb2

I thought you preferred a Brazilian?

DAS or DAZ? :augie

It was a great day. Didn't realise how far it was until I looked at Tracks in my Zumo! Very surprised I didn't get a nose-bleed.

Very glsad I made the effort, though :thumb2

Not decided on a suitable mount for the bullet cam yet. I have a helmet mount but I think the best results are achieved by using an on-bike mount, although not one that shows the speedo :augie

I use a bullet cam just like that with an Archos...i played with bike mounts and they were all too wobbly, so now I have a bit of velcro tape stuck around the body of the bullet cam and a corresponding bit of velcro on the side and top of my helmet- slap it on, set the angle up correctly on the screen and job done...nice and steady picture:thumb
the only down side is that because it's stuck on the side of my lid, it looks at what I look at so you don't get much of a feel for lean angles or speed....

Back
Top Bottom