Anyone had experience with the XR1200?

Navy Boy

Reaction score
Hi All

Everytime I go into our local H-D dealer I see a Silver/Grey XR1200 and think to myself just how lovely it is.

What do others think? I've a deposit on a new Thunderbird but I'm thinking that I'd like the XR instead. It'd be for some gentle touring duties with Mrs NB on her Sportster as well as some hooning around on the weekends.

Am I finally falling for the H-D spell? :confused:

You should take it out for a ride before committing. The biggest criticism of these bikes is the quality of the finish, fasteners and parts - take a good close look at it and you will see what I mean. I looked at one in a showroom and I was able to detect rust on the exhaust and other locations. :(

The new XR1200 is a bit of an unknown quantity but the new Thunderbird isn't known at all. Sod both of them. If it were my money I'd be looking at buying a used Rocket III :thumb2

i'm on my second one, first was px'ed in with a v rod to buy my streetglide. i lasted a while with just the one bike but now have no2. i really like it for what it is. good fun for blatting round the back roads, both pegs been down. about 70-80 miles on a tank full. seat uncomfortable for any longer anyway. pillion is minimal. while some will say about the finish i must have been lucky, used through the winter and dipped in acf50 it seems to have survived well. no rust and it does just get used and left, lives outside under a cover. i would liken it to the m2 buell i had a few years ago. go and try one, the dealers are offering test rides. black was no1, silver is no2

Attachments

• 2008_1221newxr0001.JPG
    2008_1221newxr0001.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 2008_0705newxr0003.JPG
    2008_0705newxr0003.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 222
Hi All

Everytime I go into our local H-D dealer I see a Silver/Grey XR1200 and think to myself just how lovely it is.

What do others think? I've a deposit on a new Thunderbird but I'm thinking that I'd like the XR instead. It'd be for some gentle touring duties with Mrs NB on her Sportster as well as some hooning around on the weekends.

Am I finally falling for the H-D spell? :confused:

just realised that the dealer must be dg20, go and ask rob for a test ride, try it out for size. each to there own.

Thanks Chewey

Yes, my nearest dealer is DG20. It seems they don't have much stock in at the moment. is this the credit crunch business affecting H-D's output one wonders?

The one in the dealer is silver and I think it looks the dogs danglies. The tank range isn't a huge issue for me so I think a test ride may be the next step... :)

I know what some people mean by the finish. My wife's Sportster takes some TLC to stay looking good however I've been impressed by the whole H-D dealership experience thus far.

Spooky - test riding an XR on Friday, and a Sportster for the present Mrs JB.

I'll post a few lines about it after the event.

Has to be Racing Orange for me, though :thumb

Cheers Tarka

A most useful report and pretty much what I'd expect to find after a test ride.

Mmm. Choices, choices.

:D

Not convinced

I've seen a few of these out and about and I'm not convinced really. I think they sound awesome and they certainly seem to go well enough but parked up they haven't got it right IMHO :nenau

I think if I wanted that kind of bike the Yamaha MT-01 and the Ducati Monster do it better ;)

On the other hand I ride a Superglide so what do I know :p

Back
Top Bottom