Tool Time…

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wake to another great day’s weather and decide to stay at the hotel for another night & have a day off riding – no sightseeing, just a day’s general vegging & sorting my life out. I have breakfast at a diner across the road and, returning to the hotel, go and check the bike, which is parked in the hotel’s parking lot…

Uh oh…

Someone has nicked my tools :( The tank panniers are unzipped and my socket set and ratchet screwdriver set are missing. I’ve come into the habit of leaving the tank panniers on the bike everywhere I’ve parked it so far (laziness –they’re a pain to put on & take off).

Bugger.

Luckily, they’re only cheapo Halfords stuff, total cost about £30 – & will be easy (& cheap) to replace here.

I report the theft to the hotel manager. I recount to him a conversation I had with his night desk clerk the evening before… Rewind to 2200 yesterday…

I returned to the hotel after going out for something to eat and saw 2 uniformed security men near the front door. I asked the desk clerk whether there was a crime problem in the area (thinking I’d move the bike nearer to the door – it was around the corner from the security men – and bring the tank panniers inside) and was told that there wasn’t – this was a regular security patrol around 4 hotels in the area. Reassured I went to bed… Fast Forward…

The manager calls the Police (who are there in 10 minutes!) and the policewoman who attends smiles when she hears the story the night clerk told me. There is definitely a problem in the area, although this is the first time Best Western has been hit. She takes details and says she hopes this isn’t how I come to remember my visit to Jackson. I’m then contacted by the hotel security company, who assure me they’re going to do their best to find my kit. I tell them I used to be a policemen and I am realistic about the chances of ever seeing my stuff again…

I move my bike onto the pavement near the front door (where it was parked was just outside the scope of a security camera – D’Oh!) and bring the panniers in. Nothing else was taken (in fact they’d missed my allen-key set ;)), so I write it off to experience and will buy some tools this afternoon or tomorrow at an AutoZone or similar.

It’s still a nice day. :)

Back
Top Bottom