Luggage

Magnum

Reaction score
What on-bike luggage are you planning to take on the trip? Full 3-piece suite of panniers, top-box and tank bag, or something more svelt?

I'm planning to have a tank bag and tail/seat mounted bag of some type - yet undecided. The Kriega US-20 with US-10(s) attached looks good, but it's black so will get hot in the sun. If I'm carrying water I'd prefer it less than tepid.

I'll let you keep your water in my kitchen sink.

As I haven't learnt how to travel lite yet! :blast

Plan is vario top box ,

some type of dry tube something along this line strapped to the backwith rear seat removed ( Not sure what size yet poss 40ltr)images[6].jpg

and a tank bag for camera passport etc,

Just want something that wont be hanging off the sides so i keep the bike width down "easier to handle around them twistys"

Before anyone comments i know the gs is as wide as a car anyway :D :D But didnt want to have to purchase "WIDE LOAD" stickers :toungincheek

This is the tank bag I'm thinking of.

TankBag_HP2.jpg

I'm keen not to have black luggage because everything inside gets far too hot in the sun :rob

The only luggage available for my trusty 990SM is OEM panniers, top box, and tank bag.

The tank bag has to be COMPLETELY removed every time to fill-up, so from past experience, I won't be bothering with one of those, especially as I mainly use one to store my DSLR gear. Now I've flogged that and bought a G10, that will fit nicely in my KTM/Ogio bum-bag ensemble, along with my passport, Tena Man pads, and lip balm.

The OEM panniers aren't huge, (12litres or so per side??) so I may have to use the top box with them (very :ymca), or look at getting my Ortlieb bag safely strapped on the saddle/rear rack, without it melting on the high and HOT exhausts :eek: to get enough space for all my clobber.

The OEM panniers on their own are good for about 4 days of clothes, so I may look at getting an additional tail pack, rather than the boxy, but good, top box.

More expense.

Yoy

Am picking up some Andystrapz Exped Panniers from Oz in a couple of weeks to use on my SE.

Will also use either Kaoko bag or Ortlieb rack pack

Arsey - The Expedz are very good. I had some until a few months ago.

However...the advert on their website mentioned something about 30-40 litres capacity for EACH pannier. When you do the physics and use the actual per-pannier measurements, the volume worked out to nearer 20 litres each pannier (from memory).

I had a long row about that with the UK agent and the Oz one, as I needed the extra capacity at the time, so I like to think I helped them adjust their advert to show the true capacity!

The only other slight issue is the dye used to colour them does wash away very easily, even with plain water. Not a showstopper, though, as it adds to the adventurised look! Not sure if it would bleed through to the inside, as I used the over-priced Linerz. Grab the extension strapz too, just in case.

That said, they are extremely versatile panniers, and if I could get them to properly fit the SM, I'd have them again tomorrow.

Good choice IMHO :thumb2

Here they are:-

DSC_6191.jpg
_DSC6153.jpg

Arsey - The Expedz are very good. I had some until a few months ago.

However...the advert on their website mentioned something about 30-40 litres capacity for EACH pannier. When you do the physics and use the actual per-pannier measurements, the volume worked out to nearer 20 litres each pannier (from memory).

I had a long row about that with the UK agent and the Oz one, as I needed the extra capacity at the time, so I like to think I helped them adjust their advert to show the true capacity!

The only other slight issue is the dye used to colour them does wash away very easily, even with plain water. Not a showstopper, though, as it adds to the adventurised look! Not sure if it would bleed through to the inside, as I used the over-priced Linerz. Grab the extension strapz too, just in case.

That said, they are extremely versatile panniers, and if I could get them to properly fit the SM, I'd have them again tomorrow.

Good choice IMHO :thumb2

[/IMG]

Ta for info.

Their ad now says approx 20 litres per side.

I've also gone for the Linerz and extension straps,which I may not need.

Will fit them on the racks on my SE :

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Ta for info.

Their ad now says approx 20 litres per side.

I've also gone for the Linerz and extension straps,which I may not need.

Will fit them on the racks on my SE :

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Arsey - sorry if this is a slight hijack, but does the SE have cats in the end cans? The SM does and they get super-heated. And I mean REALLY hot. I thought about using my OEM rails as stand-off as you are, but worried the heat will damage the panniers.

The OEM panniers are pretty crap, but I may be stuck with them.

hijack over :thumb

I know top boxes are practical but everytime I see one I can't help thinking ... pizza delivery vehicle :hide

Top box-I seldom leave home without it,useful for wallet,camera,puncture kit etc. and a good way of keeping your jacket pockets empty and it's somewhere to put my lid when I stop for a coffee,plus I kinda like the negative views folks have of top boxes (pipe,slippers etc.) makes it all the sweeter when I pass 'em ;)
Panniers? Mine seldom see the light of day but I can't see me surviving for 10 days on what I can get in a top box so I will probably bring them for the ride,would have been easier to say "3 piece" in the first place :D

I know top boxes are practical but everytime I see one I can't help thinking ... pizza delivery vehicle :hide

I can't wait for the "Norm could I just put this in your top box please".

And of course you can..... :thumb2

BMW roll bag, Tank Bag and maybe summat else. :thumb

I could easily get all i need in the vario top box but i will probably have the whole 3 peice ensemble fitted, me and the missus managed 12 days away with just the panniers and she even took a hair dryer and hair staightners:augie we just used the top box for food & water and storing the sat nav, we secured the helmets & bike clothing in a pac safe 85 http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Pacsafe-85.html when sight seeing.

What's the make of that tank bag Yoy? How is it held on, capacity, ease of removal etc?

On reflection I'm looking for a smallish tank bag. Something I can fit my camera, DVR, Passport, snub-nosed revolver and other essentials in.

Back
Top Bottom