I'm just registered... F800GS blown up!

Magwa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
**800cc engine probs*** Ouch

Not my bike but a mates
but I feel bad as I'd told him how good BM's were....
He bought a new pre registered ( ex demonstrator) with 1600mile on the clock

Virtually immediatly it had strange ( metal scraping ) noises and by 1650miles was back at BMW for a NEW ENGINE........
just over 1000miles later.........

metal scraping noises again and its going back to BMW for another NEW ENGINE.

The noise is a metallic scraping from the bottom of the block by the water pump.

My mate was a bit p***ed off to say the least having got rid of a minter of a VFR.
He's argued with the dealer and has now as a result taken it to another for the work ( now going to Oxford BMW who appear most helpful)
but ........
The BM will be at the dealers for approx 5 weeks

no loan bike......

I guess the bike will be repaired under warranty and then sold
my mate is OFF BMW now
back to HONDA.....

Oh I feel bad:eek:

Look on the bright side mate, it's ony two thirds of the problem it could have been ;)

Seriously, you must be feeling :eek: but there is no way you could have foreseen this outcome - surely your mate will see it that way.

sound bad, but there is a positive in everything (caugh.. BULLS!IT)

Sorry to here the story. I think that there may have been a problem with wearing in the engine. I hit the rev limiter on a demo bike with only 78km on the clock. Bikes don't like that! No engine does till it had done at least 1000km, 2000km is better.

You will probably find that the manual had a guide as to running in the engine. 'keep it under 4K for the first 600 mile, 1000k under 5K'.

He got a demo bike, it would have been pushed, The second engine, did he push it??? (could be a factory fault) I know it should have not failed like that, just not have performed as well in the long run.

Truly I wish that a Jap producer had a bike that challenged the 800gs. The closest match is the V-storm (my opinion). I would buy the Jap over the German in a second. Knowing fault statistics (most important, i study it at university) and the price advantage.

Sorry to here the story. I think that there may have been a problem with wearing in the engine. I hit the rev limiter on a demo bike with only 78km on the clock. Bikes don't like that! No engine does till it had done at least 1000km, 2000km is better.

You will probably find that the manual had a guide as to running in the engine. 'keep it under 4K for the first 600 mile, 1000k under 5K'.

He got a demo bike, it would have been pushed, The second engine, did he push it??? (could be a factory fault) I know it should have not failed like that, just not have performed as well in the long run.

Truly I wish that a Jap producer had a bike that challenged the 800gs. The closest match is the V-storm (my opinion). I would buy the Jap over the German in a second. Knowing fault statistics (most important, i study it at university) and the price advantage.

So Snowlife....what motorcycle do You drive?

I hit the rev limiter on a demo bike with only 78km on the clock. Bikes don't like that! No engine does till it had done at least 1000km, 2000km is better.

Hitting rev limiter is probably no problem on a modern bike, as long as it has been warmed up before.

Many "experts, tuners etc." do not break in motors by recommedation from factory for getting better performance etc.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Hitting rev limiter is probably no problem on a modern bike, as long as it has been warmed up before.

Many "experts, tuners etc." do not break in motors by recommedation from factory for getting better performance etc.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yeah but those people don't care about longevety. Mind you, nor do BMW at the moment.:hide

Yes they do, at least them I know but you have do it the right way, which is not as easy as the old fashion way.

Well, ive had no problems with mine but im glad ive got the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty!

800 gs engine prob's.

My friend and I had a test ride on the 1200 & 800 gs on Saturday, Yep the 800 locked up after 40 miles, we didn't thrash it, & I never revved it above 6000 rpm, I can't speak for my mate but the bike had done 6300 miles, so is there a inherent problem there, how many others have had problems I wonder? Alex.

Poor rebuild

Well my mate got his bike back two days ago, its worse than before and now a rank poor rebuild with bare ( not even painted) crankcases,:eek:
gasket goo all around the joints, exhaust on twisted :eek:
4 weeks to NOT sort it!:eek:

He's NOT impressed with BMW machanics.:mad:

even some damage to the wheels:mad:

He's sent me the pictures and he's right to complain

He was considering a flat twin BMW racer style bike as a next step but not any longer

Its going back and he's off to Honda

When will BMW learn?

many engineers swaer by thrashing it from mile 1, and these guys do want some longevity ;)

apparently the issue is not revving hard, its worse to keep at one rev range for too lonmg....ie lots of 70mph cruising in the same gear

I can only speak from experience :eek:

17,500 miles since April and running beautifully... :thumb2

No issues... :thumb2

No problems... :thumb2

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

Name and Shame the dealer you brought it from as a demo bike. IMHO they should have sorted this for you to your total satisfaction and within a reasonable ammount of time and causing you the minimum of inconvenience, or simply just return the bike, write to BMW uk etc etc...

So, which dealer did you buy it from, i'm dying to know.. i bet i can guess....

Time for Trading Standards and a letter demanding a full refund from the supplying dealer...they have no leg to stand on imho...get heavy...take bike back and throw the keys back in front of customers...disgusting service to say the least!

Was this work done at North Oxford Garage?

Well my mate got his bike back two days ago, its worse than before and now a rank poor rebuild with bare ( not even painted) crankcases,:eek:
gasket goo all around the joints, exhaust on twisted :eek:
4 weeks to NOT sort it!:eek:

He's NOT impressed with BMW machanics.:mad:

even some damage to the wheels:mad:

He's sent me the pictures and he's right to complain

He was considering a flat twin BMW racer style bike as a next step but not any longer

Its going back and he's off to Honda

When will BMW learn?

Name and shame

Well as its my mates bike and he's in dispute with BMW as we speak its not right to name and shame ( Just yet)

BUT

It wasn't Clarkes OK, came from much further south
watch this space for update later
:thumb

I bet they were practising engine rebuilding:eek:eek:

Many technicians are good at servicing and fitting replacement service parts:mmmm

But engine building and engineering are a whole different world - bet not many had ever done one before

Back
Top Bottom