Round the Bloc tour 2009

Top stuff i both envy and admire you.

Keep up the good work with the report and ride safe.

Cheers Tom:thumb2

Day 7

Hi all

Woke up early again no air conditioning in this room so it was stifling hot all ready. Showered and went to the roof terrace for breakfast. It’s not that posh believe me. Checked on the bike, its fine.

At 9am walked into the Sultanamet district and went to the Turkish bath house I had seen yesterday. Paid my 40TL and stripped off (calm down girls), I was given what looked like half a tablecloth my Gran would have and was shown in to the bath house. It was incredibly hot and was soon stood in a puddle of sweat. About 20 minutes later in came the Turkish male attendant, basically the Turkish bath consisted of a scrub with a car mitt then a soaping down and being pummelled/massaged by the attendant. He tweaked my neck and back and slapped me a few times. After a rinsing I was told to lie on the hot floor. Another guy was then subject to the same treatment. It sounds bad but was actually very good and I recommend anybody who is coming here to experience one. The other guy eventually ended up on the floor next to me. I said to him loudly (as you do) ‘Do you speak English?’ ‘Yes’ he replied in a British upper crust accent. Turns out he’s on holiday and lives in Hastings 30 miles from me. So we had a good old chin wag about the pros and cons of travelling alone. Sometime later I left and got dressed, had tea and went on my merry way feeling fully refreshed.

Next order of the day was a visit to the Ayasofya or Hagia Sophia Museum. It cost 20 TL to enter and me and an American shared the cost of a personal guide. Han as he wanted to be called (didn’t get my Han Solo joke, the American did) showed us around the museum and explained how, what, who etc. The building started as a church ended up a Mosque and is now museum. It was very interesting.

SANY0293c.jpg

Next was the Sultan Ahmet Mosque or more commonly known as the Blue Mosque but due to it being prayer time and the call to prayer was sounded as I arrived it was closed for an hour. I sat outside and watched the comings and goings. A guy sat next me and introduced himself; he was from New Zealand on a public transport (trains, buses, boats) Europe trip with his wife. We had a natter and his wife soon joined us and were swapping stories of exotic travels. A very nice couple. Later after I had been back to the hotel for new camera batteries and SD card I returned bumping into the New Zealanders who had just finished in the Mosque. I went in removed my shoes and had a good look around. Some people were still conducting their prayers with about 1000 onlookers. Again both Mosques are well worth a visit if your here. The hawkers and sellers are very active around all these sites and we were warned by the tour guide that it’s all Chinese made crap rather than authentic Turkish carpets and nic naks.

Following this went and walked my route to sea and the main road out of Istanbul (the one I should have come in on). I passed an English style pub on the way and realised the F1GP was on so went back to the hotel and watched it in Turkish. Funny enough the closest I’ve been to a real GP.

Following Jenson Button’s convincing win I went and repacked the bike, checked the oil and prepared my kit for an 8am getaway when the secure car park opens. I don’t want to be caught up in the Istanbul rush hour in the morning. Had tea which consisted of a plate of mixed salad and doner chicken with a BEER; the first beer of RTB 09.

Just catching up with emails :type and the blog then off to bed for an early night.
Leaving for Bulgaria tomorrow :moped: and an overnighter at Sunny Beach (Thanks ANDY007)
Will update whenever I can

Ghostrider aka Geoff

Day 8

Day 8
Set the alarm for any early start, want to be out before the Istanbul rush hour. Had breakfast and checked out, packed most of the bike yesterday so only took a few minutes to put my rucksack on the bike. I was gone by 0745 hours. The checking out of my route paid dividends and was quickly on the main road following the sea. Got onto the motorway and was soon heading through the last suburbs of Istanbul without getting lost once (that’s a first).
Used the toll motorway all the way north to my turn off and headed towards Kirklareli and the border with Bulgaria. The road from the last town is amazing riding, shame the surface is not 100% but was fun anyway. Approached the Turkish border and had to show my log book to enter the border control area. Then into passport control. The Turkish policeman eyed my passport and eventually stamped it out but beckoned me over to some search benches. I wondered what on earth was going to happen here. The policeman explained he was studying English and wanted to talk to me (what a relief) and he practiced his English with all sorts of irrelevant and stupid questions. He was actually a nice guy and went on to tell me his favourite band was Metallica after spotting my tour t-shirt. The result was he walked me through the remaining two Customs offices to have my passport stamped (bike and luggage), nobody at any time checked to see if the bike I was talking out matched my documents!
Then onto the Bulgarian controls and good news I’m back in Europe. Shame nobody informed the border guards of this. The first window took my log book and passport and gave me back both with a USB memory stick?? The second place was Customs who took the memory stick and documents and a few minutes later sent me on. I saw a sign displaying vignette prices no mention of motorbikes. Went on to the next window, or so I thought and the woman sent me back saying ‘taxes, taxes’. So I went back but unbeknown to me went back to the exiting the EU side where I spoke to the guards the older one took my passport and came back a few minutes later with a right chin on. He said ‘you leave or come’, I explained that I’ve been sent back ‘you leave and don’t come back he shouted’ and pointed back where I had come from. I left and rode around again and this time noticed a man in another window, ‘taxes’ I said and gave him the memory stick, ‘how much’ I said and he gave me back the stick and said ’no pay moto’, So I had been sent back to pay for taxes that were not required bureaucracy at its best. So back to the window who sent me back in the first place she took the stick and then gave it me back I then moved forward to the last window a 6ft away who just took the stick away. I was in so buggered off into Bulgaria. I stopped 4km from the border and took the non-motorway route towards Burgas.

SANY0318c.jpg

I rode for the next hour or so in a time warp (1950s Soviet Union). The houses and roads were in poor condition, horse and carts and groups of men sat in the shade on the roadside. Vintage Russian lorries and jeeps were everywhere. As I approached Burgas that all changed and I saw the new EU modern side of Bulgaria. I was getting worried I had no Bulgarian cash and the petrol stations looked like they didn’t have electricity let alone credit card payment systems. I went through numerous police checkpoints both manned and unmanned. Occasionally a top of the range Mercedes or BMW would come the other way intermingled with the carts and lorries.
Had a bit of an experience getting on the dual carriageway to Burgas due to lack of road signs went head-on with van and ended up going onto the wrong carriageway. Soon all was sorted and I headed for Sveti Vlas on the Black Sea coast which is one of the tourist hotspots. Very Spanish type holiday resort. Although I knew I was in the right place a British registered Range Rover came up behind me we had a quick conversation at the lights and he confirmed my choice of turn (First British registered car I seen for a few days).
Found the apartment I was going to stay in very easily and set to work washing my socks and smalls (sorry Andy) and sorting out, reorganising my panniers.

SANY0337c.jpg

The apartment is brilliant with amazing views over the Black Sea. Although I haven’t used them it has loads of children’s facilities, pool and bar. The weather today was a staggering 32 degrees when I crossed the border.
So this brings me up to date on the blog as I sit here looking out over the Black Sea, Beemer safe in the car park, loads of beer in the fridge. Today has been a good day and I was glad to be back in the saddle. I have just spoken to my Romanian friend Dan who I met at the BMW off Road School he is going to meet me tomorrow at the Bulgarian/Romanian border and we will drive in Bucharest together.

Tomorrows another day

Ghostrider AKA Geoff

P.S. Andy007 rents out his apartment please PM him for details – it’s a great place and has my recommendation.

GREAT JOURNEY

Geoff,

Your updates are awesome, keep the black side down and the smiley side up.

ryan

:cool:

Day 9

Day 9

Left the Black Sea resort of Sveti Vlas at 10am and made my way across Bulgaria toward the crossing to Romania at Giurgiu/Russe. The ride was great, good roads and very little traffic to hinder my progress. In some places the road surface was not up to scratch, so others beware. The only issue was the Traffic Police who are everywhere and set up checkpoints. Beware those who go to Bulgaria WATCH YOUR SPEED. Passed a number of scrub fires on the roadsides most were out of control and heading for crop fields, other the locals were desperately trying to stamp them out. I arrived at the Romanian border at 2pm and was waved though all the Bulgarian controls?? No data sticks this time and a quick check of my passport on the Romanian side but the copper was more interested in the bike than the passport. Drove into Romania and found my friend Dan waiting at the petrol station. Temperature at the border 33.5 degrees. So after our hellos and a refuel we headed for Bucharest. Dan was riding his 1200GS, I met Dan last year at the off road school in Wales and we have kept in touch via email ever since. Dan is going to compete in the Paris-Dakar Heroes rally next year.
The traffic going into the city was a nightmare and I found the city actually busier that Istanbul. Dan took me on a tour of the city ending up at the Parliament building which is massive and very impressive. It was built by Ceausescu as a palace with a boulevard to match across the centre of the city.

SANY0350c.jpg

We ended up at an apartment Dan has arranged for me in a Soviet style block close to the city centre. It was comfortable and perfect for my short overnight stay.

Dan went off to sort out some work leaving me to sort myself out, blog and email sorted. At 7pm Dan collected me and we went on another tour of the city on bikes and ended up a restaurant in the hippest part of town. Dan’s 1200GS and my 800GS fitted in perfectly and were parked just outside so we could watch the bikes. We had a lovely meal and talked about the Dakar, Bikes, BMWs etc. It was a great evening. Another tour of the city and we ended up at Dan’s work where we stashed the bikes away for the night and he dropped me off in his car. On the trip around the city I had the fright of my life as we came down a dual carriageway Dan in the middle lane and me in the slow lane the highway split causing us to go in two different directions. I had no idea where the flat was or Dan’s work, if we lost each other I was up shit creek so to speak. Lots of blasting the horn and Dan realised I was in trouble and guided me to a break in the wall which allowed me back to his side. I paid much attention after this episode.

This part is for the guys only, sorry Mrs Ghostrider - The place we went for dinner was amazing. The restaurants and bars were buzzing with atmosphere and the Romanian women are stunning, absolutely stunning, amazingly stunning. Our conversation was halted on a number of occasions over ladies entering the restaurant. Drop dead gorgeous blondes in mini skirts....no photos sorry guys.

Back to the blog... I have sunburnt hands from riding without gloves on. What an idiot!

Bucharest; if you come here be warned the traffic is a nightmare my advice if you are coming this way avoid it if you can.

Slept very soundly as very tired from the long day.

Nite nite
Ghostrider AKA Geoff

Day 10

Day 10
Up early yet again, knackered before I even start, Dan picked me up and we crossed the city to collect the bikes. Packed up the Beemer and we headed out into the city, Dan was going to take me to the motorway north and let me go alone. At first travelled 2km in 30 minutes, traffic still a nightmare. Stopped to change up some money but they refused to change my £10 & £20 pound notes as they had been written on as they do in England. Had to change my Euros into Romanian Lei.

Anyway Dan left me at the start of the motorway after lots of hand shaking and thank yous; he’s a great bloke. Travelled 120km on the motorway and then headed west on A type roads which were full of pot holes. The HGVs caused the going to be very slow.

Eventually started to head north into the Carpathian Mountains which have excellent type roads very much like the Alps. The only two problems are the HGVs and the road surface. Sometimes you come round a bend the surface is missing or has a pot hole. You cannot blindly go into bends, on two occasions I had HGVs on my side of the carriageway. At another point where I slowed to go though roadworks I was attacked by 5 dogs in a pack, I slowed to avoid them but they did not like the bumble bee. One was just about to get an Aplinestars boot to the chops when I managed to accelerate away. The left mirror on the bumblebee keeps swinging inwards since the incident on the ferry in Turkey, must tighten it up.

Got to a place called Petroseni and the skies above the mountains were black, I could see lightening striking the hills. All of as sudden it rained like it has never rained before; I was soaked in about 30 seconds. I managed to pull over as the rain was too hard to ride in and the road so flooded it was dangerous, I hid under my camouflage tarpaulin until it was over.
The weather today was 33 degrees when I left Bucharest the further north I go it is dropping. Thank god as I don’t really enjoy the heat when wearing motorcycle gear.

Had to make a decision about where to stay tonight; two options camping or hotel. I will come back this. One of the places I wanted to see was Vlad the Impalers castle at Hunedoara. I saw I sign pointing me in the direction and eventually found the castle. Managed to get some snaps but was too late in the day for walk round.

SANY0366c.jpg

SANY0369c.jpg

As I rejoined the main road a motel presented itself to me, better option than a wild camp. So booked in, room for the night £33, Chinese meal and 5 bottled beers £12, for everything else there’s MasterCard.

So here I am slightly pissed (Thanks to Mr Heineken at £1 for 500ml) writing the blog, at Deva in Romania, tomorrow off to Slovakia and Hungary and will push the 400 miles mark if possible get into southern Poland.

Missing you all

Ghostrider AKA Geoff

Day 11

During the night had the most horrendous thunder storm which must have been overhead. By morning there was little sign of all the rain. Packed up and left before 9am going north.

The going was slow, singe track road with HGVs having to be overcome every few minutes. Had an hour or so on some fantastic roads over a mountain, switch backs galore but then encountered the HGVs again. Road surfaces leave a lot to be desired. Got attacked by stray dogs again, is the bumble bee tuned to dog frequency, will have to speak to BMW warranty.

Really enjoyed this morning’s riding until I was stopped by the cops just outside Oradea which is the border town to Hungary. Radar trap 70km in a 50km zone. Politeness and a British registration did not get me off. 60 Lei fine (£15) but didn’t have enough on me. Took the ticket and was told to pay at the border. I found a bank 2km down the road withdrew the cash and went back to pay the fine but the Policeman didn’t have the change. So opted for the border payment.

Made my way to the border and as part of a diversion was taken through an industrial estate. The place was lined with trucks and prostitutes, never seen streetwalking girls like this before. All dolled up to the nines (fishnets etc)at 1130 in the morning. Not a place I would want to stop. Anyway into the border area and the Romanian side was deserted. Found a policeman on the inbound side and explained I needed to pay the ticket, his advice don’t worry about it and go home, apparently since Romania joined the EU you cannot pay for tickets at the border. If I wanted to pay the ticket I would have to go back into town and find a police station. 2 Minutes later I was in Hungary. Bought a Vignette for 4 Euros and after a quick passport check was on my way. The roads in Hungary are mostly single carriageway and very frustrating. It was difficult to get mileage done. Cops out in force in yet another country.

Eventually crossed into Slovakia the border crossing was deserted. The clouds in the sky were threatening rain and lighting was hitting the hills in the distance. I had preconceived ideas about Slovakia but let me say the countryside is wonderful; the towns are not so nice. The roads are again mostly single carriageway but a new motorway is being built the length of the country and we went on and off it. Went through a tunnel a few miles long under an entire mountain. Slovakia has a mountain range similar in appearance to the Alps called the’Tatras’ and are snow capped and wonderful to see in the distance. I had just entered them when it started to spit with rain and I could see that thunder storm from earlier flashing on the mountainside. Found a hotel very quickly, an alpine lodge style building. 20 Euros for the night and had 2 pints and fish and chips for 6 Euros. Not expensive here.

SANY0377c.jpg

Boys only bit again: The girls in Slovakia are good looking, not quite as good as the Romanian standards.

So this is where I am tonight, wonderful view from the window in a comfortable room above a pub. Heaven. Now for the bad news.

Came to a few decisions today whilst riding – When I first planned this trip I wanted to go to the Asia side of Turkey, how or why the Scandinavia part of the trip got bolted on I can’t remember (likely to do with Mike Carter and his book ‘Uneasy Rider’). I believe there are two trips here and too much now for the one adventure. I am both mentally and physically exhausted after nearly two weeks on the road, have very sore eyes from the grit and wind and a sore ass. This is causing a lack of concentration which in the circumstances is dangerous (driving on the right with mad Romanian lorries). The trip is not worth getting hurt. I am also down on the finances and may have to wallop the credit card in the long run. So after I reach Poland and have a day off visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau I am going to come home via the Czech Republic and Germany. The rest of the countries can wait for another day. My initial objective of Asia has been met and I can say I have had the experience of a lifetime. I have however, as they say ‘bitten off more that I can chew’. So readers I am sorry I know you are enjoying the blog but I will be coming home next week sometime. :(

So until the next instalment most likely tomorrow, getting to like staying hotels rather than camping.

Ghostrider AKA Geoff

2 Minutes later I was in Hungary. Bought a Vignette for 4 Euros and after a quick passport check was on my way.

That strange as I got turned away when I wanted to buy a Vignette. Told I didn't need one. Maybe the woman behind the desk took pity on a weary, poor biker :comfort

This website suggests you do need one.

http://www.motorway.hu/engine.aspx?page=motorcycle_vignette

I believe there are two trips here and too much now for the one adventure.

I came to the same conclusion. After the expensive border crossings in the Balkans and the fact I was already running on a shoestring I was out of dosh come Romania. I'd planned to visit some relatives in Southern Sweden but the Orresund bridge and or the ferry options between Denmark / the baltic states and Sweden were extortionate.

The adage of double your money and halve your gear is so very true :thumb2

aww, that's a shame. but you're in the saddle and you know better. great reading and thanks for taking us along. keep it safe and CONCENTRATE ye boy ye! :thumb2

Day 11

During the night had the most horrendous thunder storm which must have been overhead. By morning there was little sign of all the rain. Packed up and left before 9am going north.

The going was slow, singe track road with HGVs having to be overcome every few minutes. Had an hour or so on some fantastic roads over a mountain, switch backs galore but then encountered the HGVs again. Road surfaces leave a lot to be desired. Got attacked by stray dogs again, is the bumble bee tuned to dog frequency, will have to speak to BMW warranty.

Really enjoyed this morning’s riding until I was stopped by the cops just outside Oradea which is the border town to Hungary. Radar trap 70km in a 50km zone. Politeness and a British registration did not get me off. 60 Lei fine (£15) but didn’t have enough on me. Took the ticket and was told to pay at the border. I found a bank 2km down the road withdrew the cash and went back to pay the fine but the Policeman didn’t have the change. So opted for the border payment.

Made my way to the border and as part of a diversion was taken through an industrial estate. The place was lined with trucks and prostitutes, never seen streetwalking girls like this before. All dolled up to the nines (fishnets etc)at 1130 in the morning. Not a place I would want to stop. Anyway into the border area and the Romanian side was deserted. Found a policeman on the inbound side and explained I needed to pay the ticket, his advice don’t worry about it and go home, apparently since Romania joined the EU you cannot pay for tickets at the border. If I wanted to pay the ticket I would have to go back into town and find a police station. 2 Minutes later I was in Hungary. Bought a Vignette for 4 Euros and after a quick passport check was on my way. The roads in Hungary are mostly single carriageway and very frustrating. It was difficult to get mileage done. Cops out in force in yet another country.

Eventually crossed into Slovakia the border crossing was deserted. The clouds in the sky were threatening rain and lighting was hitting the hills in the distance. I had preconceived ideas about Slovakia but let me say the countryside is wonderful; the towns are not so nice. The roads are again mostly single carriageway but a new motorway is being built the length of the country and we went on and off it. Went through a tunnel a few miles long under an entire mountain. Slovakia has a mountain range similar in appearance to the Alps called the’Tatras’ and are snow capped and wonderful to see in the distance. I had just entered them when it started to spit with rain and I could see that thunder storm from earlier flashing on the mountainside. Found a hotel very quickly, an alpine lodge style building. 20 Euros for the night and had 2 pints and fish and chips for 6 Euros. Not expensive here.

View attachment 122752

Boys only bit again: The girls in Slovakia are good looking, not quite as good as the Romanian standards.

So this is where I am tonight, wonderful view from the window in a comfortable room above a pub. Heaven. Now for the bad news.

Came to a few decisions today whilst riding – When I first planned this trip I wanted to go to the Asia side of Turkey, how or why the Scandinavia part of the trip got bolted on I can’t remember (likely to do with Mike Carter and his book ‘Uneasy Rider’). I believe there are two trips here and too much now for the one adventure. I am both mentally and physically exhausted after nearly two weeks on the road, have very sore eyes from the grit and wind and a sore ass. This is causing a lack of concentration which in the circumstances is dangerous (driving on the right with mad Romanian lorries). The trip is not worth getting hurt. I am also down on the finances and may have to wallop the credit card in the long run. So after I reach Poland and have a day off visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau I am going to come home via the Czech Republic and Germany. The rest of the countries can wait for another day. My initial objective of Asia has been met and I can say I have had the experience of a lifetime. I have however, as they say ‘bitten off more that I can chew’. So readers I am sorry I know you are enjoying the blog but I will be coming home next week sometime. :(

So until the next instalment most likely tomorrow, getting to like staying hotels rather than camping.

Ghostrider AKA Geoff

Day 12

Had a day to myself today. Staying at the same hotel tonight and for 20 Euros who can crumble.

Went out on the bike for a long ride nothing much to report other than Slovakia is an absolutely beautiful country.

Found this castle

SANY0380c.jpg

Just had a great pizza and two pints + two take away beers all for 8 euros who can complain about this country.

Off to bed to catch up on some sleep.
Off to Poland tomorrow

Ghostrider AKA Geoff

Hi Geoff

Geoff,

I will miss your updates, but look forward to hearing all about your journey when you get home.

I think you have found your true vocation in writing about your travels.

ryan

Sounds like you are having a great time, enjoy :thumb2
dont fall for the tyranny of the miles, its your trip, do as you please.

Stewart

Hey Geoff, before you come home can you nip back to Romania and pick me up a souvenir, one of those mini-skirted blonde things you mentioned..... Ryan will have one too while you're at it :thumb

Look forward to your return and hearing about all the exploits you couldn't write in your blog :hug..... oops, Mrs. Ghostrider isn't following this blog is she ?

Stay safe buddy.

Nick

Romanian Totty

Saxman

I know a certain Mrs Saxman who not approve of this. But we could fly over to Bucararest for an offical visit and I will get Dan to take us out for the night. There is no way you could handle what I saw, or Ryan either.

Be home soon for a debrief over a few pints and a bottle of Merlot.

Ghostrider

Last edited:
Day 13

Day 13

Had a lie in until 0800, what a luxury. Anyway packed up my kit loaded the bike and did a few regular checks including filling up the Scottoiler. Headed in the direction of Poland across the mountains. The roads in Slovakia are excellent, the countryside is wonderful and I think I have found the jewel in Europe’s crown (including beer prices and women). The area close to Poland is real Alps type country but without all the trucks and congestion. Passed through a small town with a wide shallow river which was flowing from the hills. A group of men had a tractor and trailer in the river and were taking the large stones and loading them into the trailer, I guess for building purposes. About 500m up the road I passed another group of men chucking building rubble in the river.
The dog think has started again and twice I had dogs in gardens barking at the bumble bee. Anyway crossed into Poland through a derelict and half demolished border area. The roads in Poland are great for bikes but in a poor state of repair. However there is loads of road building going and they work on the roads on a Saturday!! In roadworks which includes a single cone the speed limit is reduced to 40 kmph and I have been through the longest temporary traffic lights ever about 4 km. It was about 100 miles to Auschwitz from the hotel. The temperature was about 12 degrees and had to put a jumper on no, pleasing some people is there). Realised I've lost a padlock for one of the panniers, must have left it on top when I done the Scottoilher.

Soon arrived at Auschwitz although some of the roads were hard going and slow. For those who are coming here don’t be deceived by the people waving you into car parks. There is a number of different car operators at varying degrees of price. Check them all out before deciding. I paid 7 ZT (about £1.80 for the day) some were 3 ZT an hour. Auschwitz is free entry but I paid 47 ZT for the film and a guided tour (well worth the money about £12).
The tour took us around the first Auschwitz and saw the displays of Glasses, shoes and suitcases and a bus then takes you over to Birkenau for site visit. Birkenau is the main camp where the slaughter took place and is an disturbing place to see just from the sheer size of it. Its weird to stand in the place where the photographs shows people being selected for death or work camps.
Auschwitz is a must for a visit it is awe-inspiring.

SANY0466c.jpg

SANY0514c.jpg
Collasped Gas Chamber at Birkenau

SANY0533c.jpg

SANY0544c.jpg
The sheer scale - photo from the tower in photo above

Following the visit fuelled up and started towards the Czech Republic but found a way decent hotel for 35 Euros with secure parking, internet and a good looking receptionist. The restaurant next just done me 2 pints and steak N chips for about £12. Poland seems OK at this point no complaints so far (apart from I’ve either dislodged a filling or broken a tooth, the beer is numbing the pain).

Mrs Ghostrider quick look behind you a new shoe shop...right lads whilst she’s not looking the girls in Poland as good as Slovakia but nowhere near Romania.

Been thinking about my decision to come home today – definitely the right decision, today I nearly rear ended the same car twice due to lack of concentration. Both my wrists are painful from the riding. I thought I was a fairly fit 40 year old but I’m not next trip needs more fitness. Time and money are both coming issues as well.

Hoping to be back in the UK on Tuesday morning for a coffee and breakfast with the lads in Dover. Still got 900+ miles to complete across Europe to Calais - sure there's more adventure in there somewhere. The Beemer has developed an oil leak from a a rubber bung on the crankcase (not a problem though).

Ghostrider AKA Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to hear that the trip's being cut short; it sounds like the only choice though what with the increased costs & the fatigue. Better to fight another day. Stay safe on the 900 miles back...

I've enjoyed catching up on your adventures, I'm sure there's a few more posts to come though.

See you soon after you get back!

Jason. :thumb2

Geoff,

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your bike experiences on this trip, at times feeling like I'm riding with you. Know what you mean about Eastern Euro ladies..... my better half is Polish:drool ( and a damn fine plumber too ).:D

Cutting short your trip only means a chance to go and explore those countries you missed another time.... Sounds like you planned this well, and your honesty about fitness levels/concentration for riding long distances is praiseworthy. I take my hat off to you Geoff.

Ride safe and look forward to reading the final tour exploits upon your return.

Sounds like the right decision to come home...If you get a chance ride through the Harz Mountains in Germany, They should be pretty much on a direct route from ploand

Ghostrider
I'm mega impressed withyour exploits and honesty. Having just completed a trip through France, Italy, Austria, Germany then home - 2500miles. Exhausted, sore butt. I can vouch for how you are feeling.
Enjoy your ride home stay safe and I hope one day to meet you and share exploits.
Cheers
Gary

Back
Top Bottom