Round the Bloc tour 2009

Ghostrider

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been a motorcyclist most of my life but only in the last few years have I taken up touring. This trip is my most adventurous so far. I was inspired after watching C+E in the LWR; if they can do it so can I (without the backup). This is also the first time of using a blog to record my travelling.

Me and a few mates have done round England trips incorporating my love of football by visiting all the Premier league grounds and the obligatorily Alps trip. My wife and I have also managed a couple trips into France and Belgium which is quite easy as we live close to Dover.

Last summer I was the big 40 and decided I would mark the occasion by going to the BMW off road school in Wales to have a go at ‘off roading’; this course was a defining moment of my life not only did I fall in love with BMWs I also caught the off roading bug. So after 2 days of racing around Walters Arena behind Patsy Quick and trying all the different bikes I went home and badgered the wife for a new F800GS.

Persistence pays off and in November 2008 I was the proud owner of a bumble bee F800GS. :p

gs.JPG

Since the summer I had been in initial planning for a mammoth trip in 2010. I thought I would like to cross over the Bosphorus in Istanbul and conquer the first few miles of Asia. The biggest mistake is loading up Google Earth and maps because the route quickly got bigger and bigger. After deciding on a route I made the tentative enquiries with my boss about a month off in June 2009 or 2010 and go the OK quite easily. Then the big one, the wife said yes as well. No questions as to Why, What etc just a stone bonker ‘yes’. The date was fixed 1st June 2009 to 30th June 2009 (30 days off ...heaven).

At this point emergency planning went into operation and in two days it was all planned and done. The Garmin was programmed, Amazon were delivering a 6’x6’ box of maps of Europe. I resisted the urge to start packing clothes. Sadly it was still only September, 10 months prior to the start date. From this point on and a reality check later planning went onto the back burner.

Jump forward to the start of 2009 and New Years day felt like a week before lift off and I was telling everybody I could about my pending trip. Most of the motorcyclists I know were full of questions about how, where etc and lots commented about travelling alone. I prefer to travel alone I get to do the things I want and I get to talk to very interesting people. Those non motorcyclists have no idea including one buffoon I work with who now refers to me as Johnny bowman (a referral to Charley Boorman).

A few hundred pounds later I had kitted out the new bumble bee with SW Motech rails, Alpos panniers, Git bashplate and Luggage plate, Touratech handguards, GPS holder and a Scott oiler. Ebay provided an Oxford strap-on tank bag which fits like a dream.

Jump forward again to April 2009 and finally the route is as solid as raspberry jelly. Every time I turn on the telly I see something else in Europe which is just around the corner and is a must see. Latest additions include the Wolfs Lair in Northern Poland (Thanks to Harry Enfields programme) and Vlad the Impalers castle in Hunedoara, Romania (Thanks to the Hairy Bikers).

The Route

The route is as follows:

France
Belgium
Germany
Austria
Italy (Ferry from Ancona to Igoumenitsa, Greece)
Greece (Ferry from Athens to Chois) - Visting the Acropolis
Greek Islands (Ferry from Chois to Cesme, Turkey)
Turkey - Visiting the Blue Mosque in Instanbul and Asia
Bulgaria
Romania - Visiting Dracula Castle in Transylvania and Vlad the Impalers Castle
Hungary
Slovakia
Poland - visiting Auschwitz, Krakow and Warsaw
Lithuania - visiting the Wolfs Lair
Latvia
Estonia (Ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki)Finland - Crossing the Arctic Circle
Sweden
Denmark
Germany
Holland
Belgium
France

Total mileage (approx including ferries) 6680 miles, 19 different countries, 30 days.

And for those bored of reading another pretty picture...

route.jpg

Then came the question of what to call this tour around Europe...Hey presto

bloc tour emblem.jpg

Sad isn't it, way too much time on my hands :nenau

The Shakedown

Every motorcycle adventure book and website suggests that before the big trip take a small trip. This is known as the ‘shakedown’. So last weekend the bike was packed including my 12 year old daughter (who is nuts about bikes) and off we went for a day trip around Kent and Sussex. The overnight camp was in Bexhill, Sussex.

108_4436 - Copy.JPG

108_4458 - Copy.JPG

Of the small amount of problems identified the major one was my self-inflating bed mat was in fact a self-deflating bed mat due a small hole in it. A very uncomfortable night on the floor was had. Glad I found this one as 30 days sleeping on the floor would have been a nightmare. :blast

The plan for the trip is to camp on official sites, wild camp and in cities like Istanbul get cheap hotels that have secure parking for bikes. This site has been a great help in finding accommodation in Istanbul.

One of the major decisions is communication with home and friends. I have thought about taking my laptop and charging it from the BMW accessory socket but the laptop becomes a ball and chain and there is the thought of breaking it or having it stolen. I have decided to rely on internet cafes and hotels to update this thread. I am taking an IPod touch which has WIFI access and I can send and receive emails use Google maps, Google Earth and basic internet access after piggy-backing an open WIFI source. It’s a bit more discreet walking around with an IPod rather than a laptop searching for a signal. There’s always the mobile in an emergency.

So this brings me to today May 2009 less than a month to lift off. What’s left to organise?

• Service the bike
• Change money
• Pack the panniers (1/2 done already)
• Piss up with the lads
• Buy a new Self INFLATING sleeping mat
• Tell everybody yet again all about my trip

For those of you still reading, Thanks and I will update soon with all the preparation prior to lift off.

Ghostrider (aka Geoff) :thumb2

That looks like a great trip.

I wish I was in a position to be able to do it with you.

Gute fahrt!

:D

Fantastic route - very envious!
Look forward to reading the blog.
Wish you luck - have a safe trip :thumb2

... the route is as solid as raspberry jelly. Every time I turn on the telly I see something else in Europe which is just around the corner and is a must see. Latest additions include the Wolfs Lair in Northern Poland (Thanks to Harry Enfields programme).
What a trip! :clap I've never met you, but I hate you already. :D

If you want to see some more photos of the Wolfs Lair do a quick search for a thread I started after visiting it back in 2007 IIRC. BTW, there's a very good hotel near there - I'm pretty sure the co-ordinates are on the thread.

... One of the major decisions is communication with home and friends. I have thought about taking my laptop ... but the laptop becomes a ball and chain ... I have decided to rely on internet cafes and hotels to update this thread. ... There’s always the mobile in an emergency.
If you can't find an internet cafe or if your hotel doesn't have public internet facilities, I've found that if you ask the receptionist nicely, 9 times out of 10 they will allow you to use their behind the counter computer to shoot off a quick e-mail as long as your quick. :thumb2

Tip No 1 for you. Make it crystal clear to the family that you will only contact them if you get the chance - ie don't automatically assume that if they haven't heard from you for a day or 2 that you've come to grief. When I started going abroad, my mother (bless her) insisted that I ring home every night to let her know that I was safe, which is fine as long as you can, but sometimes things conspire against you. One night between Warsaw and Krakow there was just no way I could (no mobile signal, local phones only accepted cards - which I didn't have and couldn't get as the shop had shut, the motel didn't have internet access etc etc). When I did contact home, it turns out my mother had been worried sick and crying her eyes out thinking the worst, which leads me to

Tip No 2: Tell the family to "Assume everything is fine - unless they get told different". Trust me, it takes some pressure off you.

Enjoy the trip and don't forget we want to see a full report with photos. :thumb

Bon Voyage mate, sounds like a brilliant trip one I'd love doing but have the two obstacles in my way you've overcome i.e.work and my missus!!!

Taff

Thanks for the tips as I read it the wife is also reading it over my shoulder so job done. :D

Will check out the Wolfs Lair thread later :ronno

Can't wait to get riding and posting.

GR

Best of luck

Looks like a great trip. Have you condidered going to Petersberg in Russia as you are so close?. Not sure what teh story is with permits etc.
Will be watching the blog

D Day -5

Five days to go.
It has been a long month, perhaps the longest on record. I have two more days work before D Day. Every passing hour I think about nothing else but the trip. Numerous people at work have asked me about it and I am certainly not getting bored talking about it, however some are bored to death with it and wishing I would go now.
Anyway been to Asda to buy the supplies, changed the money up and bought the new self inflating sleeping mat. Managed to get the money back on the old one---mugs. :eek
Bikes all serviced and the tyres are slimed. The bike is ready to roll and I even have a full tank of fuel. The packing has not really started but all the things I need are ready on the garage floor to be packed into the panniers. I have thrown out all the unnecessary items: hairdryer (I’ve shaved all my hair off). The photo below is the kit laid out whilst we go though the packing list.

SANY0006w.jpg

The only thing left on the list is the ‘quiet jolly with my buddies’, the piss up is arranged for Friday night at Canterbury Cricket ground Kent V Middlesex 20/20 game. Should be a great laugh and hopefully Kent can win. :beer:

Then just a weekend of family duties and hey presto its time to go. :kissy2
6am ferry from Dover on Monday morning. Can’t wait. Hopefully post some packed bike pictures over the weekend. One thing I hadn’t planned for is that I will be arriving in Istanbul on the weekend of the F1 GP. That could be good or bad (Good) never been to a GP (Bad) Hotels all full. Find out when I get there??

Post soon

Ghostrider (aka Geoff)

Hola!

Hey Geoff,

Looks like you're ready to roll. I'm looking forward to following your adventures as & when you get the opportunity to post.

I hope it's exciting, but not TOO exciting if you know what i mean...

Good Luck & have fun!

Jason. :thumb

The excitement and anticipation (tinged with apprehension) before a trip is just the best feeling in the world.

If you have a moment check out Horizons Unlimited website for any updates on areas you are going to.

Have a great trip and maybe that understanding wife you are so fortunate to have will also get the bug and be on the next trip!

Be very careful, this travel thing is a dangerously infectious high which requires regular attention!!

Safe trip and maybe see you on the road sometime.

Liam

All the best of luck Geoff. You will see some amazing things.

two tips. you'll only need a 5 litre jerry can if at all and one hat will suffice. :D
Lose the baseball cap and get a mozzy net from blacks for the Peter Storm hat (If my eyes are correct) :thumb2

Hill of crosses

I had spotted the Hill of Crosses on another trip report and I am going to be driving right past it. One of the many highlights I will stop at. Thanks for the info.
Geoff

hill-crosses-01-500.jpg

D-Day -1

Hooray Kent won the cricket convincingly and we all got suitably pissed.:ChrisKelly You may think that the group in the photo are Special Forces or similar but you would be wrong; my friends are so ugly I cannot allow them to be seen on the internet. ;)

SANY0027sas.jpg

Spent most of Saturday and Sunday morning packing the bike up. It’s all done and I am ready to go. Doubtful if I’ll sleep tonight. Mrs Ghostrider says she’s going to miss me, the mini Ghostriders have given me father’s day cards sealed until 21st. I now have 15 hours of pacing up and down the lounge until I leave. Look on the bright side Big Brother should be finishing when I return, just a shame I had to be here to experience Britain’s got (no) talent.

Bloc 025.JPG

Next post should be from somewhere in Europe.:moped:
Have fun
Ghostrider (aka Geoff)

Geoff
I was just looking at your route and see your transiting through Bulgaria, i have a few apartments in the Sunny Beach area and am more than willing to let you have one free of charge if it fits in with your plans mate. :thumb2 good luck and have a safe journey.

Back
Top Bottom