what silver paint for frame chips?

theop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My silver frame has a couple of small chipped bits by the pillion footpegs. Went to get a silver paint pen to quickly repair, but Halfords make about 20 different silver/met grey colours (for cars). A BMW Arctic Silver Metallic looks closest if I judge from the pen sticker..

Does anyone actually know?

I had chips on my silver framed GS and asked the dealer the very same question -------

So, with the subsequent advice I went to Halfords and bought a silver touch up pen thingy, Tetrosyl it was, only one silver at the time, and it worked a treat.

Phil

Have had previous experience and I think AutoGlym Silver Wheel Paint is the best match, if you use a clear lacquer after it works spot on! I think hammerite is close but compared is a little darker and not as smooth enough finish.

The dealer will supply you with the exact match in a small frame-sized quantity. I got some a few years ago, knocking around in the garage now, can't be @rsed to cover the bit where my boot rubs the frame. Too busy doin' other stuff....:beerjug::beer::ChrisKelly

From your friendly BMW agent:

Metallic spray paint set , white aluminium2: Part number 51 91 7 654 123

Or

Two stage touch up set, white aluminium2: Part number 51 91 7 654 131

From your friendly BMW agent:

Metallic spray paint set , white aluminium2: Part number 51 91 7 654 123

Or

Two stage touch up set, white aluminium2: Part number 51 91 7 654 131

Four questions

Is this the same paint used on the rocker cover?

Is the two stage - paint plus laquer?

About how much does it cost?

Can I do a patch repair in a few scratches or does the old paint need to come off completely?

Last time I asked a dealer they told me to try Halfords for frame paint. I spent a long time with their paint matching sheets and BMW MINI silver was the best I could find for the frame. It's no use for the handlebars and I wouldn't like to use in on the gearbox where the paint is bubbling off.

Last time I asked a dealer they told me to try Halfords for frame paint. I spent a long time with their paint matching sheets and BMW MINI silver was the best I could find for the frame. It's no use for the handlebars and I wouldn't like to use in on the gearbox where the paint is bubbling off.

Strange, if there's part numbers for paint that they send you to Halfords:eek:

Maybe they've realised that frames are badly painted and they can make yet more money out of us by selling something we shouldn't need.

asked yesterday at Bahnstormers - BMW won't sell paint for H&S reasons.....

So all those isles of paint in Wickes, Homebase, B+Q etc etc are there for show only? :rolleyes:

I think someone should make a website listing all the bollocks that car/bike salesmen tell people, assuming there isn't one already.

Rear Drive shaft

For the rear drive shaft painted aluminium cover, I used Halfords aluminum spray paint last night and it was a perfecxt match for a small 2mm boot mark! Put a lots of 3m tape over the bits now to stop it happening again as well as the center stand (satin black plastikradt from Homebase works a treat!)....

For the rear drive shaft painted aluminium cover, I used Halfords aluminum spray paint last night and it was a perfecxt match for a small 2mm boot mark! Put a lots of 3m tape over the bits now to stop it happening again as well as the center stand (satin black plastikradt from Homebase works a treat!)....

I could be wrong but think the frame is painted and the rear drive shaft, rocker covers, engine etc are powder coated.

Nice to hear you found a paint that will match the powder coating.. Does it have a dull sheen like the other powder coated bits?

I could be wrong but think the frame is painted and the rear drive shaft, rocker covers, engine etc are powder coated.

Nice to hear you found a paint that will match the powder coating.. Does it have a dull sheen like the other powder coated bits?

Ah they are powder coated! I tried hammerite silver but it was too dark and thick. Two coats of the halfords spraypaint applied by the end of a brush and pretty good match.

Got all sorts of paints from renovating old bikes and it's funny how they come in useful :) The 3m film on top now should stop any more boot damage! It does see to dry without much of a gloss...

Simmoniz wheel paint also looks similar...

I have been watching this tread with interest, as my driveshaft got damaged last time it was serviced,:mad: Bmw have failed to come up with a code, so that I could repair it.
So plan B is to get the silver colour matched at a paint factors, then I will post the info here.

Paintman.

Back
Top Bottom