CAMPING SITES

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Campers... please discuss amongst yourselves and sort out the bookings for the campsites as listed. Thanks

10/07/09

Mainz ** Bear in mind Rivendell/Drumacoon lad/ Casperfelix don't need to sort out the campsite as they are now booked in both ways in the Ibis***

http://www.camping-doering.de/

11/07/09

Mittenwald

http://www.camping-isarhorn.de/

12/07/09

Trieste

http://www.trivago.co.uk/trieste-45421/hotel/mare-pineta-camping-village-99564

13/07/09 -14/07/09

Split 2 DAYS!

http://www.campingsplit.com/

15/07/09

Zagreb

http://www.motel-plitvice.hr/kamp.html

16/07/09

Vienna

http://www.campingwien.at/fr/?URL=/fr/picture.asp?g=CMPWS_GALLERY&i=5137&g=CMPWS_GALLERY&i=5137

NOT sure wether Paul is suggesting South or West site :confused:

17/07/09

Prague

http://www.caravancamping.cz/

18/07/09

Colditz was mentioned on the route , but Paul has not specified ( or found ) a campsite... so over to you lot.

19/07/09

Ibis Mainz.... all meet up again :beer:

Day 1 Dover to Mainz 439 miles 10th
Day 2 Mainz to Garmisch ( Mittenwald) 292 miles 11th
Day 3 Garmisch ( Mittenwald) to Trieste 269 miles 12th
Day 4 Trieste to Split 262 miles 13th/14th
Day 5 Free day 0 miles
Day 6 Split to Zagreb 337 miles 15th
Day 7 Zagreb to Vienna 226 miles 16th
Day 8 Vienna to Prague 204 miles 17th
Day 9 Prague to Colditz ? miles 18th
Day 10 Colditz to Mainz 19th
Day 11 Mainz to Calais 360 miles

Hope this sounds clearer than it looks! Bear in mind this is being sorted by someone who didn't do the original planning, so go easy on me please!

campsites

I've never booked a campsite when riding round Europe. I'd prefer to just turn up.....gives much more flexibility. Campsites are in abundance which means you can move on if the site is no good etc.

thoughts.........?

gordo'

Campsite booking

Gordo'
That would work for me too. Most of my travelling has been in a campervan in Europe and I never book, but have moved on from a site once I has seen it, to find a better one.

Only thing about it we would need to stick together. In the past on this tour I believe people have been able to do their own thing for a day, knowing which site the main party will be on that evening, to meet up again.

Thoughts from others? Jim

CAMPSITES

I never booked in spain & france,just stopped on route.

I just wonder if we should book the campsite in croatia,as we
are going in mid july.

It would be nice to hear from paul, to hear what is plans are.

I am happy to go with the majority.

Gordo'
That would work for me too. Most of my travelling has been in a campervan in Europe and I never book, but have moved on from a site once I has seen it, to find a better one.

Only thing about it we would need to stick together. In the past on this tour I believe people have been able to do their own thing for a day, knowing which site the main party will be on that evening, to meet up again.

Thoughts from others? Jim

Yep, I agree with that too, I think trying to pre book all camp stops might make it more complicated.

Obviously somethings gone a little pear shaped!
Does anyone if the b&b'ers are now able to get accomodation near campsites or visa versa, now numbers are reduced slightly? Or is it sort of two seperate groups and then a bit hit or miss if we meet up? Has there been a route book done for the original itinery?
Brett

Yep, I agree with that too, I think trying to pre book all camp stops might make it more complicated.

Obviously somethings gone a little pear shaped!
Does anyone if the b&b'ers are now able to get accomodation near campsites or visa versa, now numbers are reduced slightly? Or is it sort of two seperate groups and then a bit hit or miss if we meet up? Has there been a route book done for the original itinery?
Brett

Brett, there's still an original route sorted by PaulBDE which should be fine for the trip.

The B&B contingent are all happy to wing it as far as accomodation is concerned but that may mean that 1) they are near to the campers or 2) they're not;)

It has gone pear shaped due to the lack of lodgings, but nothing that will spoil the trip for anyone:thumb

Last year ( italia 08 ) the gps route took you straight to the campsites,
which were booked. This allowed the group to split up,and meet at the
end of the day. ( apart from me no gps )

I dont disagree with anything that,s been said.
A group of 8 is not too big that most site owners cant find us a pitch but large enough for it to be profitable for them to do so.
I would have no hesitation in "winging it" between Mainz and Split both ways. OK, we may not always end up staying in the ideal spot but I for one have never been on a package trip that,s been worth talking about.
If anyone feels the urge to go "off piste" Im sure we could get back together with the use of mobiles and gps.
Should the B&B,s decide to book rooms prior to leaving we could try to meet up on some evenings en route, otherwise aiming to get together in Croatia would seem to be a better plan.
Thats my 2p worth. My only aim is to Go, Have a good time and get back home - everything else is flexible.

David

A group of 8 is not too big that most site owners cant find us a pitch but large enough for it to be profitable for them to do so.
I would have no hesitation in "winging it" between Mainz and Split both ways. OK, we may not always end up staying in the ideal spot but I for one have never been on a package trip that,s been worth talking about.
If anyone feels the urge to go "off piste" Im sure we could get back together with the use of mobiles and gps.
Should the B&B,s decide to book rooms prior to leaving we could try to meet up on some evenings en route, otherwise aiming to get together in Croatia would seem to be a better plan.
Thats my 2p worth. My only aim is to Go, Have a good time and get back home - everything else is flexible.

David

+1:thumb

David

Don't be too keen to dismiss the proposed campsites - Paul wouldn't of recommended them if they aren't thought to be good. He has put a lot of effort into researching the route. The route that Paul works on features some great roads and is off the beaten track. The stopovers are usually designed with milage and petrol stops in mind, and to get you to the best riding, the next day.

If you haven't thought about the campsites, at the end of the day you may be a very disjointed group, or spend a lot of time chatting on the phone, figuring where each other is.

This is certainly not a package tour - primarily because you haven't paid for anything!:augie

Whatever you get up to i'm sure you'll have a great adventure:thumb2

Campsites

Hi Stevo, Agree with everything you say,, but as always, as they say. EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT ON THE NIGHT.

Cheers Ken.

Common sense view .................

Don't be too keen to dismiss the proposed campsites - Paul wouldn't of recommended them if they aren't thought to be good. He has put a lot of effort into researching the route. The route that Paul works on features some great roads and is off the beaten track. The stopovers are usually designed with milage and petrol stops in mind, and to get you to the best riding, the next day.

If you haven't thought about the campsites, at the end of the day you may be a very disjointed group, or spend a lot of time chatting on the phone, figuring where each other is.

This is certainly not a package tour - primarily because you haven't paid for anything!:augie

Whatever you get up to i'm sure you'll have a great adventure:thumb2

May have missed something here, but I'm not sure why everybody is so keen to be so macho.

Occurs to me that:
  1. we will be doing quite a few miles each day and I for one would like to go straight to a camp sight (put my tent up) and chill rather than farting about trying to find one
  2. the camp-sites Paul recommended are charging about 3 Euro a night for motorbikes - so if we don't like them we can move on without losing a great deal of money
  3. if someone doesn't ride with the group they know where to meet up later (I don't hear my phone when riding - so no good the lost soul phoning me, and s/he may not have a sat nav if they do get through to someone!)
  4. the B&B brigade will know where we are so we can meet up for an evening meal/drink together - which I thought was the point of this trip?
Why make the trip more difficult than we need to?

I vote we pre-book.

campsites, route

so just to continue with this.........
OK, so a couple of things have come un-done, but there's still a base plan there and I think a 'many thanks' to Bryn, Stevo and PaulBDE for the work they've put into this so far wouldn't go amiss. We can still stick to the route, albeit a couple of detours may occur, and we can use the campsites listed as primary destinations. Backup campsites could be researched and banged into the satnavs before we leave. It also seems most of the campsites have cabins.....motel rooms in the case of the Zagreb site which may be of interest to the B&Bers. As for the EU3 per night for camping.........from what I've seen, the prices range from EU10 - EU15, (includes person, tent, bike and tax) which is normal for the time of year we're travelling. Casperfelix is right though, we still need to address the chance (a good chance) of us becoming disjointed.....either by choice or by mistake. While some may be happy to not quite know where they're staying that night (me for one and I'm not even remotely 'macho') others may not so some sort of a plan needs to be conjured up to include everyone.
Thoughts.........?

so just to continue with this.........
OK, so a couple of things have come un-done, but there's still a base plan there and I think a 'many thanks' to Bryn, Stevo and PaulBDE for the work they've put into this so far wouldn't go amiss. We can still stick to the route, albeit a couple of detours may occur, and we can use the campsites listed as primary destinations. Backup campsites could be researched and banged into the satnavs before we leave. It also seems most of the campsites have cabins.....motel rooms in the case of the Zagreb site which may be of interest to the B&Bers. As for the EU3 per night for camping.........from what I've seen, the prices range from EU10 - EU15, (includes person, tent, bike and tax) which is normal for the time of year we're travelling. Casperfelix is right though, we still need to address the chance (a good chance) of us becoming disjointed.....either by choice or by mistake. While some may be happy to not quite know where they're staying that night (me for one and I'm not even remotely 'macho') others may not so some sort of a plan needs to be conjured up to include everyone.
Thoughts.........?

You pretty much summed it up mate. I think every thing wil become transparent once the route is released - hopefully next week.

I'm sure everything will get sorted. I've been in touch with Rivendell (David) who expressed an interest in trying to pull together any pre bookings for the campers. this should be easy, just a couple of e-mails with information on potential numbers turning up. For the B&Bers, they will need to make a few arrangements for themselves, but this should be easier as most of the couples are now taking an alternative route, freeing up the few rooms that may be available.

I'd imagine all will be finalised within the next two weeks.

Roll on July:clap:clap

Stevo:beerjug:

Guess one of the options to help move forward is to see how much reserving the sites cost?
Perhaps my EU3 for a night was a tad optimistic - but reservations may not be a lot more.
I'm not against being adventurous, that's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the trip, but I've got to the age where a fall back position always seems wise and often pays dividends.:rob

Hi All,

A quick question for you. Is this trip now closed or can new people still come along?

I've read the threads and I know you have spent ages planning and you have some nights already pre-booked but I was thinking. If I decided that I wanted to come along - could I just turn up and come with you on the understanding that I would obviously need to book my own things along the way?

Cheers, Dean.

first stop

How's anyones German, looks like there maybe a festival on 10/07-13/07 near the location of the first nights stopwww.camping-doering.deProbably would need booking if that's the case. If someone could translate that would be great

1st Campsite(Mainz)

Chubs, I'm in Germany at the moment, in fact in the lobby of the Ibis Hotel in Mainz, using the hotel internet link. I can't get that 'Fest' link to work from the campsite site, but will inquire about a festival at that time tomorrow at work. If needed I could call over to the campsite and make a booking before I return to UK on Wed. I'll post an update tomorrow.

On a general note I have been persuaded that prebooking may have advantages. I suspect we will mostlly use the prearranged sites and if we did have to change plans on one or 2 nights and lost deposits then it would not be the end of the world. Having prearranges linking up with Pasuls good routes sites seems worthwhile and maybe increase the chance that the 2 groups may link up at times too. So I've moved to the prebook camp. Jim

Chubs- good spot. It appears to be an Annual Port Festival.
Jim, There may be a difference in numbers camping. Stevo is going to confirm next week but if you can get a provisional booking it would be great.

Back
Top Bottom