Going Bezerk Amongst the Berbers (Moto Morocco Apr 09)

DAY 11: Friday 10th April 2009

Imilchil to the Kasbah Didis Hotel

On the road:

DSCF2185.jpg

So I think today was my fear day. We went through the Dades Gorge, the sheer drop on my left was excruciating, I should have told someone a bit more vocally about my fear of heights....:comfort

DSCF2233.jpg

DSCF2241.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Fanum looking cool as always

IMG_0231.jpg

Notwithstanding the fear I dropped the bike in the mud as well, what a twat, front end went on me, didn't stand a chance but to be honest I was elated about finally dropping the bike, good to get it over and done with....:D

This is how you sort of do it:

IMG_0187.jpg

So's this....

IMG_0193.jpg

This is not cool.....:D

P1000280.jpg

We also had a mental river crossing, poor Farm Boy (Chris) thought he had bust his leg getting it trapped between his pannier and the rocks as he crossed the water, bloody kids throwing boulders in the crossing.....:mad:

IMG_0264.jpg

Bob tries to kill me

IMG_0277.jpg

Speggo does the hard part and then.....

IMG_0299.jpg

Pete was raging when Chris left him (the hills echoed to the sound of a made Pole swearing uncontrollably, we came upon Pete looking glum not sure how to do the crossing, in the end he did it with some style....:clap

IMG_0316.jpg

I seem to recollect something about a mad shepherd's dog trying to chew my leg off, I exagerate, but the point is made, Mr Ifan needed to push me out of the big hole the bike went down when I lost my line, all those flexing muscles, enough to make a girl swoon....:p

There was also a bit of fun at 9,760 feet, Mr Ifan got the truck stuck in the ice, apparently he thought he could do it without the diff locks on, turned out he couldn't, so Fanum was right....:augie

Speggo does something odd again....

P1000269.jpg

when all you had to do was this......:augie

P1000265.jpg

Our hotel tonight is outstanding, far too classy for the likes of us, I am now stinking like fury, covered in red mud, haven't washed my Knox T shirt that has been on my back for 11 days, I'm loving it, in true cowboy style I shower with my boots on, they're a bit dirty....:ymca

DSCF4141.jpg

DSCF4150.jpg

DSCF4151.jpg

Speggo tinkers with his bike.....

DSCF4155.jpg

DSCF4133.jpg

the view from the hotel

DSCF4143.jpg

That night, Fanum and I spend some time classifying the different types of Moroccan child we've seen, so here you go pop-pickers...:thumb

• waving kid
  • cartwheeling kid
  • running furiously kid
  • 1 Dirham kid
  • V sign kid
  • Fingers in the Ear kid
  • motorbike handle bars kid
  • suicide kid
  • old fashioned british army saluting kid (has Whatton been nearby?)

A time to chill, it's been an intense and mixed day, laughter rings in my head as I think about what Fanum said to me earlier in the day, "your entry was a bit butch".....well I do like to please.....:D

Great report so far. Keep it coming.

thanks....:beerjug:

... as the actress said to the bishop.
more please :)

you forgot the bit where she said, "and ram it to the hilt this time".....:D

C'mon. I want to see how the romance between you and Reg turns out. :augie

(Not literally you understand. I don't want pictures of that. Ooh, Ride Reports has just taken on a whole new meaning. :( )

$50 for those pics....:D

That boy Garfield....he's just a damn tease :blast:rolleyes:

:popcorn

no more than you....:hug

DAY TWELVE: Saturday 11th April 2009

Kasbah Didis to Zagora

We're off to Zagora

DSCF4167.jpg

DSCF4168.jpg

P1000318.jpg

P4090052.jpg

We hit 9,300 feet today, you can feel it when you breathe as well....:eek:

DSCF4178.jpg

DSCF4179.jpg

I am so impressed with my bike on the stoney stepped descent, it just smashes it's way through the rocks....:JB In fact, I'm impressed with my bike period....

DSCF4182.jpg

P1000331.jpg

P1000334.jpg

When we hit the valley floor something clicks, I think I may just be starting to get the hang of this off roading malarky, I speed up, the back end bounces and slides all over the place, today is a good day.....:D

SDC11989.jpg

Poor Speggo got himself stuck in the sand today, the man's a menace, mercifully I'm not trying to pull the machine out....:p

P1000340.jpg

We stop for lunch in Nickheb, a bustling little town, quite interesting

Fanum singing for his supper

DSCF4203.jpg

When we make Zagora it's off to Mohammed's, Fanum's bike has a hole in the radiator, Bob's bike needs a bit of panel beating done to it and Paul's KTM is having problems with it's Shocks....:(

DSCF4226.jpg

P1000345.jpg

Whilst bikes get fixed I chat with the kids, soon my bike becomes a climbing frame....:clap

DSCF4234.jpg

DSCF4237.jpg

Some cheeky swine offers me 5 camels for my bike today, if it were 15 I might have done a deal with him....;)

P4110040.jpg

Zagora is a cracking place too, full of 4x4s some of them looking a bit dinged to be honest

DSCF4255.jpg

The hotel for tonight is just awesome though, shame about the flies, never mind, it has alcohol....:clap

DSCF4238.jpg

So today was a good day apart from the 40 deg heat

Lovely looking trip ...

but does these trip have to involve wreaking the bike? :nenau

Is there a "I won't break the bike" option?

DAY THIRTEEN: Sunday 12th April 2009

Zagora to Tallouine

We go into the Sahara today (I think anyway), either way there's a lot of bloody sand. It's hot, in fact it's damn hot and then some, hard work to, I fall off twice, others fall off too, we have fun nonetheless

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

P4120082.jpg

P1000364.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

P4120088.jpg

Unfortunately Bob died....he's probably still lying there, somebody go check please....:D

P1000376.jpg

P4120091.jpg

I'm knackered

IMG_0528.jpg

The tour photographer, mechanic, bike pusher, hotel organiser, man who smiled and made you laugh when you needed it, guy who drives the van and so on, only title he won't get is bag carrier.....:augie

DSCF2411.jpg

Now I'm really knackered, can we go now....

IMG_0606.jpg

We also had the most excellent lunch yet in Foum Zguid

DSCF4278.jpg

The rest of the ride to our lodgings for the night is on the road (if such a thing is possible in Morocco....:D), everyone is feeling knackered today, we plead for a rest day tomorrow

DSCF2406.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

DSCF2467.jpg

In honour of the sheer awesomeness of my bike I rename it, "Boulder Mashing Werken".....:D

Lovely looking trip ...

but does these trip have to involve wreaking the bike? :nenau

Is there a "I won't break the bike" option?

i didn't wreck my bike....:comfort .....and I'm not exactly a skilled off roader, in fact when I went there I had no off road experience....you could always do the Road Ride, I know I will at some point.....:thumb

DAY FOURTEEN: Monday 13th April 2009

Rest Day in Tallouine

So let me start by categorically denying any involvement in this happening to allow us to secure a rest day....:augie

DSCF4294.jpg

he's not seen that his tyre is flat yet.....:angel

DSCF4296.jpg

A time to relax for everyone, bikes fettled, laundry done, swimming in the pool, a long and hearty lunch.

It's a pretty hot day and I once again get some sunburn....:(

P1000431.jpg

A passing bike race comes our way just before lunch....

IMG_0643.jpg

the best place for the boots was about 6km away but this had to do....

DSCF4299.jpg

The afternoon is equally good, Paul and I go out with Bill in the truck and do some sight-seeing, really loved the little villages we visited, even more funny was the terrified kid who thought Bill was going to run him over, you had to be there to see his facial reaction, I still laugh about it today....:D

DAY FIFTEEN: Tuesday 14th April 2009

Tallouine to Marrakech

Bill's bike is terminal and it's decided to trailer it to Marrakech for repairs, it's spraying oil like fury and the front of my bike is covered because I was following him yesterday, I give my bike a baby wipe bath by way of apology.

Speggo is in the lead today, he's christened Red Leader in honour of his Smoke On, Smoke Off policy, remember SWMBO doesn't know he likes the fags....:D

P1000460.jpg

SDC12040.jpg

DSCF4300.jpg

DSCF4308.jpg

DSCF4311.jpg

Back
Top Bottom