Going Bezerk Amongst the Berbers (Moto Morocco Apr 09)

Hey Garfield. Good write up and pictures.
Was nice to meet you on the boat to Spain and I wasn't at all upset you poured your red wine all over my new cream coloured jumper, despite it being the only jumper I had for the trip, on day 2, with 2 weeks to go..
If you thought Elvis was good, you should have seen James Brown on the way back.

Cracking report with some great piccies. I went end of March and came back 5th April and did some of the same route - had a great time and learned a lot more about off roading in loads of different conditions. The pics brought back lots of great memories.

I dropped my bike a few times on the pistes but no damage - the GS is really versatile in these conditions.

Hey Garfield. Good write up and pictures.
Was nice to meet you on the boat to Spain and I wasn't at all upset you poured your red wine all over my new cream coloured jumper, despite it being the only jumper I had for the trip, on day 2, with 2 weeks to go..
If you thought Elvis was good, you should have seen James Brown on the way back.

.............:beerjug: ....was great meeting you and the gang, hope you had a great trip....:thumb2

Cracking report with some great piccies. I went end of March and came back 5th April and did some of the same route - had a great time and learned a lot more about off roading in loads of different conditions. The pics brought back lots of great memories.

I dropped my bike a few times on the pistes but no damage - the GS is really versatile in these conditions.

I am so impressed with the GS, I keep on saying it, it really compensated for all of my failings....:bow

:nenau hell, I didn't know Garf was afraid of heights :blast

:augie

only a little, it's the unsecure stuff that scares the bejesus out of me....:D

:blast

Feck. I suppose this means Fanum is going to be nagging me again to do my trip report now that you've finished yours!

Pete was raging when Chris left him (the hills echoed to the sound of a made Pole swearing uncontrollably, we came upon Pete looking glum not sure how to do the crossing, in the end he did it with some style....:clap

IMG_0316.jpg

well this is how it was - and do you hear me raging ???

but keep an eye on the fella lifting hes skirt, this may be the reason Farmboy took a run :)

ps. any of you guys have any pics of me ?? please piowarno@poczta.fm

Thanks

thank you all for your comments, I have some video to add, because of a tremendously busy life I never seem to get it all done in one hit...sorry....:( .....:D

Here's the first, more to follow soon

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i230.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid230.photobucket.com/albums/ee148/biker_garfield/Bonkersa-1.flv">

Like the video, lets see more.

I bet he won't post the one of him prancing with the belly dancer in Le Sable :augie

Nick...you'll be doing that ford in November....we didn't do it on your first trip :thumb2

I bet he won't post the one of him prancing with the belly dancer in Le Sable :augie

Nick...you'll be doing that ford in November....we didn't do it on your first trip :thumb2

might do....:augie

couple more vids to add in, hopefully get it done this week....:beerjug:

<object width="540" height="485"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JPnkvgGqvGw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JPnkvgGqvGw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="540" height="485"></embed></object>

finally playing catch up, Xmas holidays are great!!

Here's a little video of some 'fun' in the sand....:comfort

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid230.photobucket.com/albums/ee148/biker_garfield/MD1.flv">

It's been great fun looking back at this thread and pictures....:bounce1

My final thoughts.....

I'm going to put another video up later today/tomorrow just to round off the whole trip experience, but sitting here in a snow bound Scotland in December, it's nice to reflect back quite a few months....

For starters I don't think I felt any sort of trepidation or fear about going on the trip (maybe I'm not smart enough too....:duno). Getting ready was straight forward, making a bike fit for travel and ensuring it can cope with some endurance is easy (there's a wealth of information on UKGSer to help), the packing lists from MotoMorocco really helped (I think I could have packed lighter, probably at the expense of smelling a bit more...:D)

I had gained the confidence to 'free wheel' it to an extent from other trips, the ride through Spain was therefore easy and fun and I allowed myself the right sort of time I think (the few rest days beforehand by the pool [before leaving for Morocco] were a god-send), picking up hotels as you go was perfectly possible which took the stress out of 'having to be somewhere' at an appointed time

Turning to Morocco itself, it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, the people are beyond friendly, I loved walking about the streets at night (no sniggering at the back), always felt safe, the accommodation varied from just wonderful to very basic but you know what it didn't matter, I would have and could have slept outdoors, it was an adventure (Bill will be happy I got that in....:D), stand up toilets are easy when you work out the knack of it, the food is fresh and tasty, I also loved the hustle and bustle of Morocco, that side of the holiday was right up my street (you are in more than just a different country, you are most definitely on a different continent).....:JB

As for the biking side, Morocco is an epic country on so many levels, beauty in a scale you won't see elsewhere (I'm from Africa so I know what epic means...:thumb), the road riding sections were fun, the off roads were a challenge but sitting in the comfort of your hotel at the end of the day belly full of healthy, tasty food and a couple of beers, the day's didn't seem as bad as how you felt when you did it....:blast.

The important thing to remember, is that I turned up on the holiday without ANY off road experience on a bike that I treasured. I really appreciated that not only Bill but the others in the group were so generous with their time and experience, there was never a sense of holding anyone back either, the group moved forward together all the time (we all laughed together and cried together....:p). There's something quite pleasing about watching a 'holiday' mould around the skills and hopes of the group (and we didn't miss out on anything by doing so - just look back at the photos and video). I also found myself learning at a frantic pace and I definitely feel a better road rider today because of the experience

And I think as a conclusion that sums it up for me, this isn't a 'holiday', and it's not as twee as blokes bonding on a cattle ranch in Colorado, this is about as real an experience as you will find anywhere (and you get to do it on a bike), you're out in the middle of nowhere making it happen as a 'team' in fairly difficult terrain and that sort of 'adversity' creates stronger, more lasting relationships because of the fun and experiences you have as a group of people

I feel a richer person for the time I spent with the others on the Moto Morocco trip, I don't think I've laughed as hard as I did, ever, I don't think I pushed myself as hard as I did either, would I do it again, you bet, I'm sat here right now working out the when and the how, so my only advice would be just go do it, you won't regret it.....:beerjug:

So in conclusion, thanks to Bill and Rosie (Moto Morocco), Steve, Ian, Kim (the beautiful assistants on the trip - well Kim anyway) and to trip buddies Paul, Reg, Bob.....you all played a part in me having some absolutely wonderful memories....:bow

wow, what a report.

I have enjoyed this report more than any other that i have read through since joining GSer.

Your trip sunded awesome, i am hoping to do some of your route in September when i am in Marroc.

:clap:clap:clap

Thoroughly enjoyed this report, thanks!

Morocco is on my hit list, hopefully for next year. I have contemplated a solo effort but tbh after reading your report, the laughter and sticking together as a unit when any issues happen along etc, then to find a group to ride with def seems the more sensible approach.

Some top notch piccies, especially one with the GS/rider slumped over the tank, page 3, 4 maybe (can't remember), but that image alone said so much about what the GS represents and prob one of the best GS 'in the line of duty' pics I've seen!

Again, brilliant write-up and thanks for the extra inspiration to gather the wonga for next year. :beerjug:

Excellent read. Really enjoyed it, thanks fot taking the time to write it:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom