Swiss Alps Tour: Day 2 - Verbier to Zermatt

Posh Hotel is booked for me, Arsey and leel600 :thumb2

Just waiting for confirmation that the Alfa is booked for the remaining 16 in the group :)

Mags - just plotting Day 2 in the ole Zumo 099. It used to be a 660 till I mounted it incorrectly...:augie

Anyhow, I can follow your Goggle map almost perfectly, except for a couple of places that may indicate a one-way system. Or me being cack-handed. Nothing to worry about, either way, really, as I still get 153 miles, same as you. :thumb

I'll post the file(s) here if anyone wants them for reference purposes.:nenau

Quick question, mein hairy - is the E62 a motorway? In any event, do we HAVE to buy the vignette things when we enter Swissland, even if we don't use motorways?

:tarka

:tumbleweed

Hmmm...it's a bit dead in here, isn't it?

Maybe we should hold a seance?

i haven't really been paying attention to these threads as i thought they were just about routes.

as i am firmly in the "let the local man be my guide" camp i have largely ignored them. so just to recap for the idle feckers whispering at the back of the class, do i have to decide anything here, or can i go back to reading the NME behind my desk?

In the earlier days, yes, there was a debate about where, who, and how we get there, but I think the general view now is for Magnum to get an idea of preferences of where we all want to kip, so he can book it for us.

Yoy

Right folks I've taken into account everyone's preference for rooms at the Hotel Alfa and I'm pleased to say the rooms are now booked :thumb2

I told the hotel what everyone wanted room-wise and this is how the Hotel can accommodate those that are staying there.

Hotel Alfa said:
Thank you for your e-mail and your reservation. We are happy to welcome all of you to our hotel in Zermatt.

With great pleasure we confirm you the following reservation (10 rooms in total):

from 12th September 2009 until 13th September 2009 (1 night)

* three single rooms each with window to the north side, running cold and warm water, hair-dryer, shared bath and toilet on the corridor, direct-dial telephone, cable - TV and - radio

at CHF 65.00 per day and room for one person

* two double rooms each with balcony to the south side and a fantastic view of the Matterhorn, private bath and toilet, hair-dryer, direct-dial telephone, cable - TV and - radio, minibar

at CHF 180.00 per day and room for two people

* one double room for single use with queen-size bed, window to the east side, private bath and toilet, hair-dryer, direct-dial telephone, cable - TV and - radio, minibar

at CHF 108.00 per day for one person

* our apartment consisting of two twin-bedded rooms with one private bath and toilet in common, hair-dryer, one room with window to the west side, running cold and warm water, the other one with minibar and balcony to the south side with a fantastic view of the Matterhorn, both rooms with direct-dial telephone, cable - TV and - radio

at CHF 300.00 per day for four people

* one twin-bedded room with window to the east side, privat short-bath / shower and toilet, hair-dryer, direct-dial telephone, cable - TV and - radio, minibar

at CHF 158.00 per day for two people

* one twin-bedded room with balcony to the south side and a fantastic view of the Matterhorn, running cold and warm water, hair-dryer, shared bath and toilet on the corridor, direct-dial telephone, cable - TV and - radio

at CHF 140.00 per day for two people - Please note that the beds are one behind the other.

In the above rates are included: the room, large buffet breakfast, service charges, all taxes and V.A.T per day, as well as free use of a laptop and wireless LAN throughout the building.

For an extra charge of CHF 15.00 per day and person you can use the new health-center of the hotel Metropol & SPA next door with swimming pool, whirlpool, sauna, steambath and caldarium, fun- and massage-showers and Kneipp basin and fitness room. Bathrobes and slippers are at your disposal.

We provide a transfer from the train station / taxi stand Zermatt to the hotel for CHF 2.50 per person during the day.
You can fight eachother for rooms but I told them what you wanted and this is the best fit :beerjug:

Cheers Magnum. :thumb2

Me in a posh hotel, thats a first! :bounce1

Promise not to show myself up........................................ Too late :blast

Mags - just plotting Day 2 in the ole Zumo 099. It used to be a 660 till I mounted it incorrectly...

:jes
Made me larrff that did mate

I was wondering why you kept going in the opposite direction to every one else last time we were out :augie:D:augie

Quick question, mein hairy - is the E62 a motorway? In any event, do we HAVE to buy the vignette things when we enter Swissland, even if we don't use motorways?
Aye, the E62 is a motorway, but only heretics and those with limp wrists will be using them on this tour :D

You can buy the Motorway vignette at all border crossings for CHF45 but you do not have to buy one unless you intend using the motorway network. We obviously use motorways whilst living here and I've never been asked for mine. You are supposed to fix them to your vehicle, even on bikes, but nobody does. I just keep mine in my wallet.

Incidentally everyone in Switzerland is expected to carry their registration document - Carte Grise - with them at all times. This is the equivalent of your registration document but also lists Insurance details too. You are also expected to have your driving licence and don't forget your Green Card insurance document.

So in summary these are the documents I recommend everyone brings :-

Driving Licence
Registration Document
Insurance Certificate
Green Card Insurance Certificate
Motorway Vignette (if required)

as i am firmly in the "let the local man be my guide" camp i have largely ignored them. so just to recap for the idle feckers whispering at the back of the class, do i have to decide anything here, or can i go back to reading the NME behind my desk?
There was a choice of accommodation for this overnight stop so it would be useful for everyone to at least decide this aspect of the trip. Most are staying in the Value option so I've put you and your Mrs in there mate :thumb2

If I don't hear from anyone I'll put them in the value option (if there is a choice) and assume there are no objections to my proposed route :beerjug:

Aye, the E62 is a motorway, but only heretics and those with limp wrists will be using them on this tour :D

You can buy the Motorway vignette at all border crossings for CHF45 but you do not have to buy one unless you intend using the motorway network. We obviously use motorways whilst living here and I've never been asked for mine. You are supposed to fix them to your vehicle, even on bikes, but nobody does. I just keep mine in my wallet.

Incidentally everyone in Switzerland is expected to carry their registration document - Carte Grise - with them at all times. This is the equivalent of your registration document but also lists Insurance details too. You are also expected to have your driving licence and don't forget your Green Card insurance document.

So in summary these are the documents I recommend everyone brings :-

Driving Licence
Registration Document
Insurance Certificate
Green Card Insurance Certificate
Motorway Vignette (if required)

Erm...I think part of your route is using the E62 - between Gampel (ish) and Visp? Or is that just a mapping thing?

:toungincheek

Oh...meant to say...I'm pretty sure I was snapped by a Talivan at more than 40% over a 60mph speed limit last Friday, in the car.

That'll be a ban, then. :tears

Erm...I think part of your route is using the E62 - between Gampel (ish) and Visp? Or is that just a mapping thing?

:toungincheek

Oh...meant to say...I'm pretty sure I was snapped by a Talivan at more than 40% over a 60mph speed limit last Friday, in the car.

That'll be a ban, then. :tears
We are both right mon ami. The road east of Sierre to Visp is the E62 and it isn't a motorway. It is a motorway west of Sierre. Confusing innit :rob

Don't get banned Yoy, otherwise we'll have to forge you a new set of documents. Can you still ride one of these without a licence? :moped:

Fingers' crossed.

Not had a NIP or Summons, yet, but there's still time. :(

Not proud or clever, but it was great conditions, lovely day, no traffic, sweeping bends, in the groove, etc etc.

:tears:tears

Bring on the routes for days 3 & 4 ;)
and 5,6,7,8,9................................... :D

Back
Top Bottom