American Graffiti...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
20th March

Another foggy morning, but I pack the bike and I’m on the road for 0945. I head off into Baton Rouge at first, to Louisiana Farm Machinery – they are Caterpillar dealers, and I pick up an O ring from them. This fits over the bar-end weight on the right handlebar. When rolled over the throttle, this provides just enough friction to allow me to remove my hand from the twistgrip whilst riding. It’s a very basic (and cheap) form of cruise control – an idea that Jeff gave me when I was in Daytona…

3013701-L.jpg

I then go for a random ride, ending up in the very pleasant town of False River…

2966392-L.jpg

…the name False River comes from the lake that the town is built on the shores of. It is a long crescent shaped lake, which could easily be mistaken for a river – in point of fact (remembering my O level Geography) , the lake (called , if I remember correctly, an Oxbow Lake), used to be part of the Mississippi, which meanders down to the sea nearby. As a result of silt build up over many years, the loop that is now the lake, eventually sealed itself off. Enough revision :D.

A little further down the road, in the town of New Roads, they’re having a Classic Car Show… I park the bike and walk through the exhibits. It’s very warm (84º F) and humid. The cars are a varied collection of classics, from this 1954 Hudson Hornet…

2967435-L.jpg

…to this 1966 Ford Thunderbird…

2969293-L-1.jpg

My favourites are the collection of older Thunderbirds – this one from 1959…

2967438-L.jpg

…with a colour-coordinated interior…

2967439-L.jpg

…this one from 1956…

2967437-L.jpg

…with ‘vanity tag’…

2967436-L.jpg

…and subtle upholstery…

2966391-L.jpg

…but my favourite,

2967440-L.jpg

is this particular 1956 T’bird, which is identical to the one which the ‘mystery blonde’ drove in American Graffiti

2968448-L.jpg

All ‘juke-box’ chromed out, I take a leisurely ride North East towards Alexandria, Louisiana, where I’ve decided to stop for the day. I pause for lunch at another bit of chrome nostalgia – another diner. This one differs from the last one I went into (in North Carolina) – in as much as the service is appalling.

2966393-L.jpg

On the plus side, Penny (whose diner it is), overcomes the ineptitude of her waitress by producing quite the best cheeseburger I’ve ever eaten - for $6 :thumb

I ride on, feeling a little lethargic after a large lunch, and arrive in Alexandria in mid afternoon. I check into my room, turn the air conditioning up to maximum, and settle in for the evening…

2968641-L-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom