Tour X 3 & pinlock

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I pensioned off my original Tour X after nearly 5 years of (mostly trouble free) service and got a new Tour X 3 with the pinlock system,I've been pleased with the new lid so far,I think it's a little quieter and more comfortable than the previous version with better ventilation and the same,great visibility with a wide field of vision,evolution-not revolution then ;)
One area I'm not happy about is the visor misting despite the pinlock,I know people rate the pinlock system highly and was happy to go along with both popular opinion and "progress" but is it.....progress I mean?
My original Tour X had a "fog city Hyper Optik" insert in the visor for more than 4 years and it did what it said on the tin :thumb2 the pinlock just doesn't work for me :confused: I've spoken to the rep at the importers and his suggestion was to remove the pinlock and dry both it and the visor with a hair dryer then re-attach the pinlock and all would be well,his reasoning behind this is that the pinlock is actually hydroscopic (think that's the right word....) i.e. it works by absorbing moisture and can reach saturation point-hence the need to dry it out occasionally,this seems like not too bright an idea to me:blast Admittedly,the ride home from Llangollen on Sunday was an extreme test :rolleyes: but within 20 mins of setting off I was stopped and seeking shelter to clear my fog bound and moisture sodden visor! I had taken the precaution of buying another pinlock and taking it with me in case the worst happened (it did...) and because I had no faith in the rep's solution to the problem.
Within 10 minutes the 2nd pinlock had also become sodden and foggy and unusable,I had taken 2 other precautiuons namely;
fitting the "breath guard" to the Tour X 3 to minimise the problem
also
I carried an anti fog visor spray in case I needed to remove the insert completely (I did :rolleyes: )
I kept the inner chin vent and exhaust vents at the rear of the lid open slightly to create some flow of air but all to no avail..........I'm thinking of buying a non pinlock visor and a "fog city Hyper Optik" to solve the problem,I don't see why I should have to spend more money to sort the problem out but don't seem to have another option, any body else had similar problems-more importantly did you solve it-if so how?

I've had a pinlock on my aria condor, worked like a dream until Sunday, went for a run in the rain and water droplets between pinlock and visor, never had that before...Had to remove pinlock and ride with visor open slightly.
When i got back i cleaned everything and re-assembled it, couldnt get the pinlock to fit tight to the visor, adjusted the pin on the side and this has now fallen out and wont fit back in properly. Not sure which way to go now, do i see if i can get another pin and retry this pinlock or just buy a new one? :blast
Definately stick with pinlock though, for now at least as its worked well in the past

i have a pinlock on my shoei. never been much use in the wet + it's horrible in the daytime too, slightly milky vis and giving odd tints when i turn my head.

now i admit i don't clean visors much, so wasn't surprised when i took it apart to see the pinlock had fretted against the visor causing a lot of fine scratches on both.

so i bought a new visor with pre fitted pinlock. it's still shit.

when it rains, i tend to ride with visor open and clear or yellow glasses on. no problems at all.
actually i hardly use the visor much at all, whatever the weather. my problem is the tour-x visor dropping under it's own weight and interfering with vision.

I have a tour x, I've never had the visor drop under its own weight. I think you might need to give the screws a nip with a 50 pence piece! The problem I have with my tour x is that it is the ultimate bad choice for a dakar as the screen on the bike seems to direct the wind perfectly into the scoop of my helmet peak, can do 60 mph before discomfort....not good! Looks cool though especially with my black visor!

the visor's held up by two nylon springy things. even fitting new ones has not helped much.

maybe it doesn't like being in the up position 90% of the time?

Arai race service

If possible, present your helmet to those excellent chaps at the Arai Race service wagon, and they will overhaul your lid, replace any broken parts, adjust, clean and generally fettle it! Whilst doing all this right before your eyes, they are happy to answer any questions about how to maintain your lid in first rate nick. All for no charge beyond the base cost of any new parts used.

They are to be found at race meetings around the country - next at the TT - and they'll be sorting both my Arai's on the 29th of this month.

Tip: - get there early as there is usually a bit of a line of liggers waiting for this service.

Second Tip: - Have about your person the means of obtaining an autograph - as you'll often rub shoulders with the racers, dropping off their lids for service.

All the best, Jim .

any body else had similar problems-more importantly did you solve it-if so how?

Hey Humvee,

I had the exact same thing as you on the ride back from Llangollen on Sunday, and ended up riding with the visor open just so that I could see at all.

Just had the pinlock insert off to see if I can reposition it a bit better as I noticed the beading around the edge doesn't touch the visor properly near the pins, and that the insert has been rubbing on the visor slightly in the middle.

Totally failed to get a better fit unfortunately, maybe the pinlocks are still a bit "fresh" as far as this lid is concerned and need to be refined by Arai? One thing's for sure, I'm not trying one of those Fog City things again. Had one on my AGV lid, and although it worked fine at first it has since stopped working and only serves to cause annoying dazzling around lights when I ride in the dark. Plus you can't get it off again because the glue they use is the strongest, most gooey substance known to man. Bah, waste of £25.

Back to the pinlock, is the beading on your's giving a good seal all the way around the outside of the insert?

Mup.

If possible, present your helmet to those excellent chaps at the Arai Race service wagon, and they will overhaul your lid, replace any broken parts, adjust, clean and generally fettle it! Whilst doing all this right before your eyes, they are happy to answer any questions about how to maintain your lid in first rate nick. All for no charge beyond the base cost of any new parts used.

Did that at the BMF at the weekend. Nice and shiny now. :thumb

Madmikey got told off for putting his on the mirror. :D

I got told off for carrying mine by the chin bar. :(

And now the visor drops under it's own weight. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom