Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Klanky's GOTC Rideout?

Klanky's GOTC Rideout?

After recieving various threats from fellow SS members, I have reluctantly agreed (against my will and better judgement..) to try and organise 'a bit of a rideout' on Saturday of the GOTC.

The purpose of this post is to find out if there is any genuine interest in doing the route I have in mind.

Bearing in mind there will be a few people at GOTC who have never travelled to the North of Scotland before, I thought it would be a good idea to try and do an all-day ride taking in some of the best scenery - along with some quieter roads - to give them an idea of just how good it can be up here.

Here's the idea:

Off from Ullapool 09:30
    Heading North to Ledmore Junction and then heading East down Strath Oykel for Lairg.
    Strath Oykel is a fantastic single track road in very good condition with virtually no traffic..as the tourists tend to stick to the coast road. Plenty of superb views and photie opportunities.

At Lairg we turn North into the remote wilds of inland Sutherland, passing through Altnaharra and coming out on the spectacular North coast at the Kyle of Tongue. We will stop somewhere around here for something to eat/coffee.

Travelling West on the North Coast, we go round Loch Erriboll stopping off for photies where we wish and eventually regrouping in Durness at the car park and toilets.

From here we will head past the ferry point for Cape Wrath (see here for details of the Tossers Amphibious assault on Cape Wrath) and South on more fantastic roads towards Kylesku where we will regroup again so those who have been stopping for photies can catch up.
    The roads on this section go from good quality single track to good quality 'proper' road with cracking bends and very little traffic.........

Depending on time/weather interest/apathy we will go to the junction at Loch Assynt and either take the short route home or go down to Lochinver to take an absolute treat of a tiny narrow road back to Ullapool.

The whole thang will take around six hours at a steady pace and allowing for food/comfort breaks. So back for 16:30ish. I did the whole route today and it's a longish day but not a very taxing 180 miles.

I'll not take more than 12 people on this. Please only say you'd like to go if you mean it. Providing there is at least one person who wants to go - I'll do it. If nobody puts their name down on here then I'll just stay in Ullapool and get pished.

First 12 get priority.

Don't ask feckwit questions about where we can get pies or what oil to drink before setting off or fuel stops...we can sort all the crap later.

I just want to know if anyone is genuinely interested.

Over to you......

Uinneag
    They be a further 2 ride outs so we don't have huge groups hogging up the roads

Myself will take one and Garfud t'other

G-spot locator Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    count me in ta
    ride safe g.s.john
    Born to ride now retired
    Now mortgage free YEEHAAA
    Einstein said two things are infinate human stupidity and the universe but i am not too sure about the universe
    2007 R1200 G.S

Quote Originally Posted by g.s.john View Post
    count me in ta
    That's two of us then.

Trip on...

Go Anywhere K
    Quote Originally Posted by Klanky View Post
    That's two of us then.

Trip on...
    plus two maybe three depends who i come up with but certainly two

enjoyed the north west run south from durness last time can't wait to do it again

David Lee
    Yes for me. Cheers Klanky

That's Saturday sorted.

I fancy going to John O Groats on Sunday, just to say I have been there.

Not been to this part of the country before and am really looking forward to it.....

Dave

So far...

GS John
    Go anywhere K +1
    A.N. Other (tbc by Go Anywhere)
    David Lee

Never been around that part of the country before.

Count me in.

GS John
    Go anywhere K +1
    David Lee
    Freeloader

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Three more:

Me
    chasr
    loftyboy

Ta

I,m up for that too Klanky bra

GS John
    Go anywhere K +1
    David Lee
    Freeloader
    Arsey
    chasr
    loftyboy
    Doyle

(2 places left).

I'm up for it Mrs Nak will be on the back seat
    Gert

GS John
    Go anywhere K +1
    David Lee
    Freeloader
    Arsey
    chasr
    loftyboy
    Doyle
    Nakambale

(one place left)

Shipmate,
    Count me in, if there is still a place

Regards

Kevin

GS John
    Go anywhere K +1
    David Lee
    Freeloader
    Arsey
    chasr
    loftyboy
    Doyle
    Nakambale
    JKM

Sorry folks, no more spaces left. Unless Goanywheres' mate cannot make it.

Just to clarify, the reason for me limiting places to a dozen is because a lot of the roads are single track with passing places - I want to keep the group manageable where possible. Big groups don't mix with roads like these.

To those of you who are on the trip, I'll get back to you all later with a more detailed plan on potential fuel stops, eats and where to regroup en route if we get split up.

It should be good.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast