Thread: Klanky's GOTC Rideout?

Deleted account rno
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    or I'll just take your route with a few miles of seperation
    Stalker Alert!!!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    [QUOTE=Klanky;1867130]
    Quote Originally Posted by always 100 View Post

Err..actually, it could be Laide, I've never paid that much attention when passing through...

Hang on a minute.......there's something fundamentally wrong here.

How come there's a load of Jocks asking an Englishman for directions around the North of Scotland?........What a sad day for Scotlandshire....

Nah, nothing fundamentally wrong there ............... 'tis Laide (Post Office) for sure -but also one at Dundonnel Hotel -Can't say about Sundays though.

Appreciating Scotland Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Stalker Alert!!!
    Oh no Ronno, they're not stalking me are they. You'll rekindle my paranoia

Must polish my mirrors to be sure that I can see them. When did they start stalking me? How many are there?
    '83 BMW R100
    Yamaha S10
    '69 BMW R60 US

Food on Rideout

Just a thought.

Hows about me organising a light lunch in Tongue? Half hour stop maximum.

Coffee/tea and sarnies all round for a few quid (£5-6 per head?)? There's a good hotel/bar that I stop at occasionally called the Craggan at Melness, just outside Tongue.

It's about half way round the route. If anyone would rather explore than eat, there's the old road around the Kyle to explore and a nice road beyond the Hotel you could mooch around whilst we are stuffing ourselves.

What say we?

Food: Yea or nay?

Could be good if the weather is iffy.

Since we'll (well, I know I will) be wanting to eat at least once on the trip then using a place you already know to be good seems like a good idea.

So, food, yea...

...I'll have 2 coffees and 2 sandwiches please.

David Lee
    Always up for lunch. Tea and sarnies for me as well please

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    Always up for lunch. Tea and sarnies for me as well please
    Actually the primary point of my post was to try and wind Klanky up - see this thread.

But I still want sarnies and coffee though.

Appreciating Scotland Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Tea and sandwiches will go down nearly as quickly as an F800GS in a big hole

Yes please for me Klanky
    '83 BMW R100
    Yamaha S10
    '69 BMW R60 US

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Since we'll (well, I know I will) be wanting to eat at least once on the trip then using a place you already know to be good seems like a good idea.

So, food, yea...

...I'll have 2 coffees and 2 sandwiches please.
    D'oh!

I meant twice, of course.

Klanky,
    When it comes to 'Standeasy', I'ts a no brainer. Count this Royal in Just a growing lad yer nah

Big James at the Craggan does some nice food.........I almost finished a Craggan burger and chips once ,I was really hungry.........

Go Anywhere K
    food i need always need food

G-spot locator Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    luvverly jubberly
    ride safe g.s.john
    Born to ride now retired
    Now mortgage free YEEHAAA
    Einstein said two things are infinate human stupidity and the universe but i am not too sure about the universe
    2007 R1200 G.S

I'm up for some food.

The Master Plan

Right, you lot.

Outline:

Rather than attempt to keep everyone together, we'll ride a a pace we are individually happy with, stopping for photies when we want and then regrouping at certain points throughout the day to ensure everyone is OK.

No drop-off systemrequired...if you get lost on this then you are beyond all hope anyway.

09:45 meet up at petrol station in Ullapool for a 10:00 start.

1st leg (45 miles)

Head North up to Ledmore junction and turn right onto the A837. Follow down Strath Oykel until just after the bridge at Rosehall. Turn left onto the A839 for Lairg. Meet up in the car park next to the petrol station in Lairg.

2nd leg (38 miles)

Head North up the A836 through Altnaharra to Tongue, turn left onto A838 and go through Tongue (stay on main road, don't turn into village at hairpin).
    Fuel is available here on the left hand side just as you get into the 40mph section going out of the village.
    Go over the causeway and turn right for Melness and Talmine.
    Craggan Hotel is on left about 2 miles.

Stop fer lunch. I was going to pre-order sarnies for us, but Hamish at the hotel says we won't cause them a problem - so order what you want off the menu.

3rd leg (32 miles)

Continue on A838 up to and around Loch 'Orrible to Durness and Smoo. meet up in carpark next to public bogs at Smoo (just as you get into Durness).

4th leg (35 miles)

The road becomes a little..er, faster after this point. Don't get carried away too much - there's a lot of dopey motorhomes on this bit...you have been warned.
    Rgroup at the viewpoint and carpark at Kylestrome. Which is on the rightjust after a bend...with a very small sign. if I actually manage to get there first, I'll park me bike at the entrance.
    If you go over the flyover bridge at Kylesku...you've gone too far.

5th leg (50 miles on long route)

We need to discuss what averyone wants to do at this point.
    If the weather's crap, then we can take the direct route home or if everyone is happy, go to Lochinver and back via Inverkaig and Loch Lurgainn.

PLEASE NOTE:
    If we decide to go via Lochinver, we will meet up in the car park by the petrol pumps in Lochinver (you can't miss them). Oppiste is the Lochinver Larder - famous for it's tasty (and expensive) pies.
    The reason for stopping here is that the next section of road is narrow...and I mean bloody narrow. And gravelly.
    We'll do this section in groups of 3 and no more. Ifyou meet any traffic coming the other way in the first 3 or 4 miles in a larger group...everyone is going nowhere, believe me. So 5 minute interval set-offs are in order.

So the last section is a lovely detour, but it can be challenging in meeting traffic situations for the first couple of miles at least. Your choice on whether to do it or not.

Should be back about 4-ish.

Any queries, let me know.

My mobile number is 07525 901625 if anyone wants to speak to me about any aspect, or get hold of me in Ullapool.

Enjoy.

Klanky.

Quote Originally Posted by Klanky View Post
    Right, you lot.

Outline:

Rather than attempt to keep everyone together, we'll ride a a pace we are individually happy with, stopping for photies when we want and then regrouping at certain points throughout the day to ensure everyone is OK.

No drop-off systemrequired...if you get lost on this then you are beyond all hope anyway.

09:45 meet up at petrol station in Ullapool for a 10:00 start.

1st leg (45 miles)

Head North up to Ledmore junction and turn right onto the A837. Follow down Strath Oykel until just after the bridge at Rosehall. Turn left onto the A839 for Lairg. Meet up in the car park next to the petrol station in Lairg.

2nd leg (38 miles)

Head North up the A836 through Altnaharra to Tongue, turn left onto A838 and go through Tongue (stay on main road, don't turn into village at hairpin).
    Fuel is available here on the left hand side just as you get into the 40mph section going out of the village.
    Go over the causeway and turn right for Melness and Talmine.
    Craggan Hotel is on left about 2 miles.

Stop fer lunch. I was going to pre-order sarnies for us, but Hamish at the hotel says we won't cause them a problem - so order what you want off the menu.

3rd leg (32 miles)

Continue on A838 up to and around Loch 'Orrible to Durness and Smoo. meet up in carpark next to public bogs at Smoo (just as you get into Durness).

4th leg (35 miles)

The road becomes a little..er, faster after this point. Don't get carried away too much - there's a lot of dopey motorhomes on this bit...you have been warned.
    Rgroup at the viewpoint and carpark at Kylestrome. Which is on the rightjust after a bend...with a very small sign. if I actually manage to get there first, I'll park me bike at the entrance.
    If you go over the flyover bridge at Kylesku...you've gone too far.

5th leg (50 miles on long route)

We need to discuss what averyone wants to do at this point.
    If the weather's crap, then we can take the direct route home or if everyone is happy, go to Lochinver and back via Inverkaig and Loch Lurgainn.

PLEASE NOTE:
    If we decide to go via Lochinver, we will meet up in the car park by the petrol pumps in Lochinver (you can't miss them). Oppiste is the Lochinver Larder - famous for it's tasty (and expensive) pies.
    The reason for stopping here is that the next section of road is narrow...and I mean bloody narrow. And gravelly.
    We'll do this section in groups of 3 and no more. Ifyou meet any traffic coming the other way in the first 3 or 4 miles in a larger group...everyone is going nowhere, believe me. So 5 minute interval set-offs are in order.

So the last section is a lovely detour, but it can be challenging in meeting traffic situations for the first couple of miles at least. Your choice on whether to do it or not.

Should be back about 4-ish.

Any queries, let me know.

My mobile number is 07525 901625 if anyone wants to speak to me about any aspect, or get hold of me in Ullapool.

Enjoy.

Klanky.

Sounds great.

If anybody wants to transfer this route to a Mapsource route then feel free and send me a copy.

My poor ickle KTM might struggle to keep up with you GS-mounted nmacho boys.

onyack

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast