Klanky's GOTC Rideout?

Since we'll (well, I know I will) be wanting to eat at least once on the trip then using a place you already know to be good seems like a good idea.

So, food, yea...

...I'll have 2 coffees and 2 sandwiches please. :augie

D'oh!

I meant twice, of course. :D

:D

Klanky,
When it comes to 'Standeasy', I'ts a no brainer:drool. Count this Royal in:clap Just a growing lad yer nah:augie

Big James at the Craggan does some nice food.........I almost finished a Craggan burger and chips once ,I was really hungry.........

The Master Plan

Right, you lot.

Outline:

Rather than attempt to keep everyone together, we'll ride a a pace we are individually happy with, stopping for photies when we want and then regrouping at certain points throughout the day to ensure everyone is OK.

No drop-off systemrequired...if you get lost on this then you are beyond all hope anyway.

09:45 meet up at petrol station in Ullapool for a 10:00 start.

1st leg (45 miles)

Head North up to Ledmore junction and turn right onto the A837. Follow down Strath Oykel until just after the bridge at Rosehall. Turn left onto the A839 for Lairg. Meet up in the car park next to the petrol station in Lairg.

2nd leg (38 miles)

Head North up the A836 through Altnaharra to Tongue, turn left onto A838 and go through Tongue (stay on main road, don't turn into village at hairpin).
Fuel is available here on the left hand side just as you get into the 40mph section going out of the village.
Go over the causeway and turn right for Melness and Talmine.
Craggan Hotel is on left about 2 miles.

Stop fer lunch. I was going to pre-order sarnies for us, but Hamish at the hotel says we won't cause them a problem - so order what you want off the menu.

3rd leg (32 miles)

Continue on A838 up to and around Loch 'Orrible to Durness and Smoo. meet up in carpark next to public bogs at Smoo (just as you get into Durness).

4th leg (35 miles)

The road becomes a little..er, faster after this point. Don't get carried away too much - there's a lot of dopey motorhomes on this bit...you have been warned.
Rgroup at the viewpoint and carpark at Kylestrome. Which is on the rightjust after a bend...with a very small sign. if I actually manage to get there first, I'll park me bike at the entrance.
If you go over the flyover bridge at Kylesku...you've gone too far.

5th leg (50 miles on long route)

We need to discuss what averyone wants to do at this point.
If the weather's crap, then we can take the direct route home or if everyone is happy, go to Lochinver and back via Inverkaig and Loch Lurgainn.

PLEASE NOTE:
If we decide to go via Lochinver, we will meet up in the car park by the petrol pumps in Lochinver (you can't miss them). Oppiste is the Lochinver Larder - famous for it's tasty (and expensive) pies.
The reason for stopping here is that the next section of road is narrow...and I mean bloody narrow. And gravelly.
We'll do this section in groups of 3 and no more. Ifyou meet any traffic coming the other way in the first 3 or 4 miles in a larger group...everyone is going nowhere, believe me. So 5 minute interval set-offs are in order.

So the last section is a lovely detour, but it can be challenging in meeting traffic situations for the first couple of miles at least. Your choice on whether to do it or not.

Should be back about 4-ish.

Any queries, let me know.

My mobile number is 07525 901625 if anyone wants to speak to me about any aspect, or get hold of me in Ullapool.

Enjoy.

Klanky.

Right, you lot.

Outline:

Rather than attempt to keep everyone together, we'll ride a a pace we are individually happy with, stopping for photies when we want and then regrouping at certain points throughout the day to ensure everyone is OK.

No drop-off systemrequired...if you get lost on this then you are beyond all hope anyway.

09:45 meet up at petrol station in Ullapool for a 10:00 start.

1st leg (45 miles)

Head North up to Ledmore junction and turn right onto the A837. Follow down Strath Oykel until just after the bridge at Rosehall. Turn left onto the A839 for Lairg. Meet up in the car park next to the petrol station in Lairg.

2nd leg (38 miles)

Head North up the A836 through Altnaharra to Tongue, turn left onto A838 and go through Tongue (stay on main road, don't turn into village at hairpin).
Fuel is available here on the left hand side just as you get into the 40mph section going out of the village.
Go over the causeway and turn right for Melness and Talmine.
Craggan Hotel is on left about 2 miles.

Stop fer lunch. I was going to pre-order sarnies for us, but Hamish at the hotel says we won't cause them a problem - so order what you want off the menu.

3rd leg (32 miles)

Continue on A838 up to and around Loch 'Orrible to Durness and Smoo. meet up in carpark next to public bogs at Smoo (just as you get into Durness).

4th leg (35 miles)

The road becomes a little..er, faster after this point. Don't get carried away too much - there's a lot of dopey motorhomes on this bit...you have been warned.
Rgroup at the viewpoint and carpark at Kylestrome. Which is on the rightjust after a bend...with a very small sign. if I actually manage to get there first, I'll park me bike at the entrance.
If you go over the flyover bridge at Kylesku...you've gone too far.

5th leg (50 miles on long route)

We need to discuss what averyone wants to do at this point.
If the weather's crap, then we can take the direct route home or if everyone is happy, go to Lochinver and back via Inverkaig and Loch Lurgainn.

PLEASE NOTE:
If we decide to go via Lochinver, we will meet up in the car park by the petrol pumps in Lochinver (you can't miss them). Oppiste is the Lochinver Larder - famous for it's tasty (and expensive) pies.
The reason for stopping here is that the next section of road is narrow...and I mean bloody narrow. And gravelly.
We'll do this section in groups of 3 and no more. Ifyou meet any traffic coming the other way in the first 3 or 4 miles in a larger group...everyone is going nowhere, believe me. So 5 minute interval set-offs are in order.

So the last section is a lovely detour, but it can be challenging in meeting traffic situations for the first couple of miles at least. Your choice on whether to do it or not.

Should be back about 4-ish.

Any queries, let me know.

My mobile number is 07525 901625 if anyone wants to speak to me about any aspect, or get hold of me in Ullapool.

Enjoy.

Klanky.

Sounds great.

If anybody wants to transfer this route to a Mapsource route then feel free and send me a copy.

My poor ickle KTM might struggle to keep up with you GS-mounted nmacho boys.

:eek:onyack

My poor ickle KTM might struggle to keep up with you GS-mounted nmacho boys.

:eek:onyack

Sez you...

...at least two of us (Klanky and myself) will be riding girls' bikes*, and I don't know the area, so I expect to be finishing about three hours after everyone else.

* The BMW F800GS, as described in the Oonyackipedia.

Sez you...

...at least two of us (Klanky and myself) will be riding girls' bikes*, and I don't know the area, so I expect to be finishing about three hours after everyone else.

* The BMW F800GS, as described in the Oonyackipedia.

That's two of us FL, that should placate your OCD.:thumb

PLEASE NOTE:

How gravelly is the gravelly route? I'll have Mrs Nak on the back, is that going to be doable?

How gravelly is the gravelly route? I'll have Mrs Nak on the back, is that going to be doable?

Its a proper tarmac road, I mentioned gravel as the road isn't used that much so you can get a 'crown' of loose gravel in the centre of the road.

TBH It's certainly do-able for the average rider, it's just that I didn't want anyone to get themselves into a situation they may not be happy with as it is a VERY narrow road, so riding over the gravelly bits will happen at some stage.
You'll be lucky if you get up to 25-30mph on this stretch...so high-speed 'offs' won't be a problem.:D Meeting cars coming the other way will be more of a challenge......*

I did it on nearly bald Battlewings a few weeks ago and had no probs.

Hope this helps.

*(EDIT) The narrow gravelly stretch is only about 4-5 miles long, after that it opens up into a 'normal' single track road.

Will give my place up to someone,sorry to cancel,i've sold my bike and am not sure if i'l have the replacement by then.Hae a guid time:thumb

Will give my place up to someone,sorry to cancel,i've sold my bike and am not sure if i'l have the replacement by then.Hae a guid time:thumb

Sorry to hear that Doyle. I look forward to seeing you later on in that case. If you do happen to make it, give me a shout and we'll try and fit you in.

Packer - you're officially in.

people wot is booked in (amended).

GS John
Go anywhere K +1
A.N. Other (tbc by Go Anywhere)
David Lee
Freeloader
Arsey
chasr
loftyboy
Nakambale
JKM
Packer

That's two of us FL, that should placate your OCD.:thumb
D'oh! 10 points for spotting what I didn't.

people wot is booked in (amended).

GS John
Go anywhere K +1
A.N. Other (tbc by Go Anywhere)
David Lee
Freeloader
Arsey
chasr
loftyboy
Nakambale
JKM
Packer

Still an even number, if I'm not mistaken. Phew.

Its a proper tarmac road, I mentioned gravel as the road isn't used that much so you can get a 'crown' of loose gravel in the centre of the road.

Lucky for me I'll be getting TKCs fitted on Friday morning, so I'll be able to attempt the gravelly crown... :augie

Back
Top Bottom