Thread: Pas de Calais - Montreuil - Coq hotel and nice riding

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Pas de Calais - Montreuil - Coq hotel and nice riding

For many folk, this bit of France is somewhere to be traversed asap on the way to somewhere more interesting. However, if you live an hour from the Folkestone terminal as I do and have an unexpected couple of days to spend riding, it's actually a very nice area for gentle bimbles and the occasional bit of more spirited riding on surprisingly twisty roads in a nice mix of countryside. I went with a friend and we based ourselves at Montreuil in the Coq Hôtel - lovely name and a nice litte boutique hotel in the centre of town with a small courtyard (closed at night) for the bikes. The bedrooms have recently been renovated and are very good indeed and the €12 breakfast is excellent and very good value. Montreuil is not exciting at night and if that is what you are after, Le Touquet would perhaps be a better bet.

For routes, we rode essentially 2 1/2 routes (Saturday, Sunday and half of Monday)of around 150-200 miles each I devised, based partly on the Petit Futé France à Moto book and partly on the Michelin 100 Virées book but I also used the Kurviger app on my phone which is a really great app for finding and navigating nice biking roads.

I reckon there are several more day's worth of riding in the area before it becomes repetitive and of course if wartime relics and sites are your thing, there is plenty of that.
    Chris

Copied in from a thread in the French section.

Richard

The owner of the cog is Bridget her husband has the pot du clap soup place on the city walls. If you exit montreiul on the back road towards Madeline sous montreiul there is a beautiful back road to le touquet where you can pick up the coast road back to the tunnel.