Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I won't be coming now

Toy maker
    Chuck it in the back of your pick up,and bring it to me,I have many delicate tools for work like that

Dare you

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    So you've got a Mig, you've run a bead around the outer race in the frame and it still didn't fall out !! Strange.

So now go to option two. Using the Mig build up a "lump" on each side of the outer race. Then with a long drift or some such technical instrument knock it out from the top of the headstock.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

I find a big old washer that fits inside the outer race, about half way in.

then arc weld it in, 2 blobs should do.

smack washer and bearing comes out

cant be used again though

Trustworthy Scouser AND
    Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the Wirral

Bit late now.....but it may have worked

LOCTITE® 8040 is a special mineral oil formulation to free rusted, corroded and seized parts.

The shock-freezing effect will cool parts instantly down to -43 °C and cause microscopic cracks in the layer of rust. This allows the lubricating ingredients to work directly into the rust by capillary action.

Released parts remain lubricated and protected from corrosion.

400ml aerosol

made by Loctite FREEZE and RELEASE...recommended to me by Proff. Never done head bearings myself but I'd spray this on first if I did !!
    Remember, we are only here for a good time, not a long time !

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    That's the one fella, worked a treat when I did my head races.

You could try a heat gun on the outer of the headstock too, just enough to warm in to too hot to hold your hand on

I used a big socket. Smack it feckin hard around the edges and keep moving around the circumference. Will probably not move for 5 minutes, then suddenly it'll go, trust me

Fat blokes bounce better

"The human race is being overun by muppets, it's like fraggle f*ckin rock down here!!!"

flipfly - Dec 2012

Thrower of cats at pigeons Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Al,

I guess your out sweating/cursing in the shed.

From what I understand; you have managed to remove the bearing seat from the bottom fork yoke?

Now your struggling to remove the bearing seat/cups from the frame headstock tube, Yeah?

Is it's so try this; Find a length of tubing that will fir down the inside of the cups. It needs to be about twice the length of the headstock tube itself.

With a saw cut two slots at 90'o (a cross) about 1 1/2" - 2" long. Splay the four legs to a little over the diameter of the head tube.
    Slide this tube up inside from the bottom till the splayed ends locate inside the head tube and sit on the edge of the bearing cup. Brace the frame, and hit the top of the tube, knocking the cup out from the inside. The cup should cum out quite easily.

To do the upper cup turn the frame upside-down ......... Naa just joking But you might need to try standing on your head. Put the splayed tube in the other end and do the same thing.

Hope you get it sorted. But what ever, get your ass down to Devon by whatever means. I'm sure if my reason for not being on a Airhead is acceptable, your would be too.

Val.
    You know!?, it's the people who live in the land that always seem to make it more beautiful than it already appears.

Size 11.5 Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    BM, I think you aren't to far from me, I'm trailering 2 bikes down there early Friday morning ( can't ride both at the same time ) leaving around 6-7am Stoke on Trent, if you want picking up on my way through PM me.
    Bill

Everyone and his dog knows how to do this it seems

here's my 2p

Tarka's on the right track - you need a long heavy drift that transfers all the hammer force - a long thin punch absorbs and bends - as you've found out.

The bigger the diameter the better - and a big hammer and lots of confidence to hit the fcker hard

"If you knew when you were going to die, would you live your life differently?"

Quote Originally Posted by brassmonkey001 View Post
    Do you ever start a job and think why did you bother?

Oh Yes Many, Many times

Like, why did I decide to do some outstanding jobs on the Airhead before the Wee-Kend . . when it was running fine .

I took it out to warm it up today - and its running worse than its ever run before

I'll probably set off on a 1,000 mile round trip to Devon with an untried bike

Stick with your problem - you'll get there in the end.

But get a good night's sleep before you attack it again, it will be a much simpler job than you imagined then

Worked for me the other day when I couldn't remove the timing cover late at night . . . popped off a treat next morning (hot air gun wasn't up to it . . BIG gas torch sorted it ).

Bob.
    The BMW R100GS - Truly Unstoppable

BM. Where do you live? I've got a proper tool for removing the outer races from the headstock.

I should change this Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

Like, why did I decide to do some outstanding jobs on the Airhead before the Wee-Kend . . when it was running fine .

I'll probably set off on a 1,000 mile round trip to Devon with an untried bike
    Are you me?

In fairness a couple of jobs needed doing before the trip to Devon but one thing leads to another and you might as well do that while you've got this bit off etc. etc.

I'll be in much the same boat I think but with less mileage. Untried coil, rotor, new steering head bearings, springs. Undiagnosed misfire and charging problem. I still haven't done my master cylinder yet either, but perhaps I'll do that down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Then I remembered. He doesn't ride a GS. Therefore he aint at the sharp end of Dudeness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    'Where there's offence, there's brass'

Quote Originally Posted by brassmonkey001 View Post
    Are you me?

In fairness a couple of jobs needed doing before the trip to Devon but one thing leads to another and you might as well do that while you've got this bit off etc. etc.

I'll be in much the same boat I think but with less mileage. Untried coil, rotor, new steering head bearings, springs. Undiagnosed misfire and charging problem. I still haven't done my master cylinder yet either, but perhaps I'll do that down there.
    I'm guessing you've had some success with the races

Come on fella, if you have any problems someone will be able to save ya

Fat blokes bounce better

"The human race is being overun by muppets, it's like fraggle f*ckin rock down here!!!"

flipfly - Dec 2012

Deleted Member I
    Go on own up .. .you don't want to smell of wee all weekend ... you are going to GOTC instead

I should change this Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Blood, sweat and tears (as in that's torn it! (The Exped mat that is!))

Looks like I might be coming after all.
    I'll say no more at this stage so as not to tempt fate any further, we've had a merry dance together already.
    Thank you to everyone for your kind offers of lifts, assistance and advice.
    Looks like I'd better pack plenty of monkeyjuice as the first round will have to be on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Then I remembered. He doesn't ride a GS. Therefore he aint at the sharp end of Dudeness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    'Where there's offence, there's brass'

25 Mar 1949 - 10 Nov 2016 Click here to find out how to Subscribe

nuff said
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

[QUOTE=brassmonkey001;1877935] Looks like I might be coming after all. [QUOTE]

Sounds encouraging

Bob.
    The BMW R100GS - Truly Unstoppable

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast