I won't be coming now

brassmonkey001

I should change this
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I ****ed it all up good and proper.
I'm so ******* angry I feel like going apeshit with a hammer but I think I've done enough damage for one night.

you could always try the mikron travelling theatre in marlow instead

or the 70's day at Ace

or the Knebworth bike show

I ****ed it all up good and proper.
I'm so ******* angry I feel like going apeshit with a hammer but I think I've done enough damage for one night.

i was going to ask -WHAT YOU DONE-
but could tell by your tone you was most annoyed.
cant you take the 650 or the car
rather than miss out on something/somewhere you wanted to attend :comfort
:kissy2

No he fecking can`t.

Not while he could monkey my outfit with me. :augie

C`mon fella...what`ve you done ??? :nenau :nenau

He could always passenger on Camille on Saturday morning too :augie:augie

Al, you've gotta get whatever it is sorted dude, need to sample that super gin of yours :thumb

brass,

you can cadge a lift down with me an rossi on saturday morning if you want.

And i'll let you have a play with Camille so you can feel like a proper airhead:augie

as one who wanted to go.
thought about it.
worked out the miles / trials+tribulations / smiles / cost etc....
...and eventually, reluctantly had to say no. :(

i Really Really sympathise mate. :comfort

my money's on female related :augie

Not this time, although it's still only Tuesday. A lot can happen between now and the weekend. :augie

No, I had a dummy spitting episode last night.
I'm having the devils own job trying to get these steering head bearings out without the proper tool.
A mate said he'd borrow a suitable bearing extractor for me but the lad he was going to ask is on holiday.
I borrowed a hydraulic puller from work but it doesn't fit.
I tried making a drift to knock them out but it was no good.
I borrowed a MIG welder to try the beading method but that didn't work either (I just pray I having welded the damn thing in place).
I then tried the method of drilling into the headstock and knocking them out with a punch but that just bent my punch into an 'S' shape. (I only used a small punch as I don't want to drill dirty great holes in it to weaken the structure any further.)
It was at this point my inflated Exped Downmat fell against my drill putting a 2" gash in it.
Around about the same time I lost my temper which could have ended nastily being as I already had a hammer in my hand.
And then herself walks in and bollocks me for hammering and swearing loudly at 1 am which didn't help my mood any.
I then walked away from it all, kicking things and myself and completely failed to go to bed (Gin & Sofa) so I don't know if she's speaking to me or not today. I expect she'll have a pig on.

Anyway, I have now borrowed a slide-hammer and I'll have to see if that works. There's not a lot of room to get any purchase behind these bearings, is there?
Next I'll have to weld a bit of bar across the race and thrash fcuk out of them.

Do you ever start a job and think why did you bother? :(

Edit: Thanks for all the offers, I'll sort something out.

I used an old engine mounting bolt from a Jap 4 cylinder bike to get the bottom race out of my LegoBike...one end has a hexagon nut machined into it with a flared 'integral washer' and either that gave enough purchase on the bearing lip,or I ground a small step in the other end (either way,it did the job easily enough).....also the bolt was a fair bit longer than the headstock height and the smallish diameter allowed me to get the angle okay....and being high tensile it didn`t bend. :augie

C`maaan mate....pucker up,the job`ll be done in no time.

Wish you were nearer to me...I`d have popped round to help ya.

Acording to Robert Pirsig you've hit a "Gumption Trap"

Throughout the process of fixing the machine things always come up, low-quality things, from a dusted knuckle to an accidentally ruined "irreplaceable" assembly. These drain off gumption, destroy enthusiasm and leave you so discouraged you want to forget the whole business. I call these things "gumption traps."

There are two types, internal and external traps. And Mr Monkey, you've hit an external one. This is split into three types:

Value traps
Truth traps
Muscle traps

And your suffering from the 3rd of the three internal traps.

Muscle traps deal with your physical capabilities and available tools. If you have inadequate equipment, you’re likely to get more frustrated than if you have the best tools you can afford. You won’t regret having good gear. You can also be influenced by your physical surroundings: if you’re hot, you get frustrated and angry easily; if you’re cold, you get in a hurry and make mistakes and hurt yourself easily. Comfort and ergonomics are more important than a lot of people give them credit for. Another aspect of muscle traps involves muscular insensitivity or “mechanic’s feel.” Train yourself to know how far you can push your materials and tools. This is one of those things that comes with experience.

Hope this helps :D

I must stop reading stupid hippy books :blast

Trying to understand your problem fella. Are you struggling to remove the outer race from the headstock, or remove the bearing from the steering stem?

If it's the races then I used a socket and then tapped around the edge (remove the forks and yokes completely). the top on came out easiest. That then gave me room to hammer the feck oot of the lower one :thumb

If it's the bearing off the steering stem, the trick is to destroy the bearing and then (with a dremmel) cut a slice into the inner cage of the bearing. A quick tap of the chisel against the cut and the inner cage should open up and come off nice n easy :thumb

If it's neither of the above, sorry I can't help. Got ma fingers crossed for ya though if that helps :thumb2

I got the inner off the stem with an angle grinder, it's the outer races I'm stuck on. Or they're stuck in. one of the two.
I'm going to have some tea to recharge my gumption then have another play.
That Robert Pirsig knew what he was talking about. :thumb2

Flip - do you mean a socket on an extension bar at an angle? That might be another option. Otherwise I'm going to have to nick some liquid nitrogen from work in my flask. :eek:

Chuck it in the back of your pick up,and bring it to me,I have many delicate tools for work like that:bounce1

Dare you:beerjug:

So you've got a Mig, you've run a bead around the outer race in the frame and it still didn't fall out !! Strange.

So now go to option two. Using the Mig build up a "lump" on each side of the outer race. Then with a long drift or some such technical instrument knock it out from the top of the headstock.

I find a big old washer that fits inside the outer race, about half way in.

then arc weld it in, 2 blobs should do.

smack washer and bearing comes out

cant be used again though:augie

Bit late now.....but it may have worked

LOCTITE® 8040 is a special mineral oil formulation to free rusted, corroded and seized parts.

The shock-freezing effect will cool parts instantly down to -43 °C and cause microscopic cracks in the layer of rust. This allows the lubricating ingredients to work directly into the rust by capillary action.

Released parts remain lubricated and protected from corrosion.

400ml aerosol

made by Loctite FREEZE and RELEASE...recommended to me by Proff. Never done head bearings myself but I'd spray this on first if I did !!

Back
Top Bottom