I won't be coming now

That's the one fella, worked a treat when I did my head races.

You could try a heat gun on the outer of the headstock too, just enough to warm in to too hot to hold your hand on :thumb

I used a big socket. Smack it feckin hard around the edges and keep moving around the circumference. Will probably not move for 5 minutes, then suddenly it'll go, trust me :thumb

Al,

I guess your out sweating/cursing in the shed.

From what I understand; you have managed to remove the bearing seat from the bottom fork yoke?

Now your struggling to remove the bearing seat/cups from the frame headstock tube, Yeah? :nenau

Is it's so try this; Find a length of tubing that will fir down the inside of the cups. It needs to be about twice the length of the headstock tube itself.

With a saw cut two slots at 90'o (a cross) about 1 1/2" - 2" long. Splay the four legs to a little over the diameter of the head tube.
Slide this tube up inside from the bottom till the splayed ends locate inside the head tube and sit on the edge of the bearing cup. Brace the frame, and hit the top of the tube, knocking the cup out from the inside. The cup should cum out quite easily.

To do the upper cup turn the frame upside-down ......... Naa just joking :augie But you might need to try standing on your head. Put the splayed tube in the other end and do the same thing.

Hope you get it sorted. But what ever, get your ass down to Devon by whatever means. I'm sure if my reason for not being on a Airhead is acceptable, your would be too.

Val.

BM, I think you aren't to far from me, I'm trailering 2 bikes down there early Friday morning ( can't ride both at the same time :mad: ) leaving around 6-7am Stoke on Trent, if you want picking up on my way through PM me.
Bill

Everyone and his dog knows how to do this it seems :)

here's my 2p

Tarka's on the right track - you need a long heavy drift that transfers all the hammer force - a long thin punch absorbs and bends - as you've found out.

The bigger the diameter the better - and a big hammer and lots of confidence to hit the fcker hard :)

Do you ever start a job and think why did you bother?

Oh Yes Many, Many times :comfort :comfort :comfort

Like, why did I decide to do some outstanding jobs on the Airhead before the Wee-Kend . . when it was running fine :nenau.

I took it out to warm it up today - and its running worse than its ever run before :blast

I'll probably set off on a 1,000 mile round trip to Devon with an untried bike :eek:

Stick with your problem - you'll get there in the end.

But get a good night's sleep before you attack it again, it will be a much simpler job than you imagined then :thumb2

Worked for me the other day when I couldn't remove the timing cover late at night . . . popped off a treat next morning :thumb2 (hot air gun wasn't up to it . . BIG gas torch sorted it :D).

Bob.

BM. Where do you live? I've got a proper tool for removing the outer races from the headstock.

Like, why did I decide to do some outstanding jobs on the Airhead before the Wee-Kend . . when it was running fine :nenau.

I'll probably set off on a 1,000 mile round trip to Devon with an untried bike :eek:

Are you me? :confused: :confused:

In fairness a couple of jobs needed doing before the trip to Devon but one thing leads to another and you might as well do that while you've got this bit off etc. etc. :blast

I'll be in much the same boat I think but with less mileage. Untried coil, rotor, new steering head bearings, springs. Undiagnosed misfire and charging problem. I still haven't done my master cylinder yet either, but perhaps I'll do that down there.

Are you me? :confused: :confused:

In fairness a couple of jobs needed doing before the trip to Devon but one thing leads to another and you might as well do that while you've got this bit off etc. etc. :blast

I'll be in much the same boat I think but with less mileage. Untried coil, rotor, new steering head bearings, springs. Undiagnosed misfire and charging problem. I still haven't done my master cylinder yet either, but perhaps I'll do that down there.

I'm guessing you've had some success with the races :nenau

Come on fella, if you have any problems someone will be able to save ya :thumb

Go on own up .. .you don't want to smell of wee all weekend ... you are going to GOTC instead :D

Blood, sweat and tears (as in that's torn it! (The Exped mat that is!))

Looks like I might be coming after all.
I'll say no more at this stage so as not to tempt fate any further, we've had a merry dance together already. :blast
Thank you to everyone for your kind offers of lifts, assistance and advice.
Looks like I'd better pack plenty of monkeyjuice as the first round will have to be on me. :thumb2

Looks like I might be coming after all.
I'll say no more at this stage so as not to tempt fate any further, we've had a merry dance together already. :blast
Thank you to everyone for your kind offers of lifts, assistance and advice.
Looks like I'd better pack plenty of monkeyjuice as the first round will have to be on me. :thumb2

Keep at it Al, just to add to the encouragement first swallees on me :beer: :D

Fingers crossed :thumb
Don't drink it all on Friday, I don't get there till Saturday and a may need a wee dram to calm my nerves after wobbling down the motorway on Camille :D:D:D

well done Al.
glad to of helped.;)

Fingers crossed :thumb
Don't drink it all on Friday, I don't get there till Saturday and a may need a wee dram to calm my nerves after wobbling down the motorway on Camille :D:D:D

I'll put a drop by for you.
Is Mrs Flip coming? I know she likes a drop of monkeyjuice. :D

Back
Top Bottom