Climate

leman

Having never been to the swiss alps before what sort of climate are we expecting to encounter on our trip, also do i need any passes to use the roads over there ? :confused:

Might be hot in the valleys, cold on the passes. Dry on the passes and valleys, but might not. And it might be hot on the top and sunny, and even hotter and sunny in the valleys.

Probably chilly at nights wherever you are.

So, in brief, what you'd take if you were going out in the UK for a weeks holiday, except the weather might be a bit warmer and drier.

Might be hot in the valleys, cold on the passes. Dry on the passes and valleys, but might not. And it might be hot on the top and sunny, and even hotter and sunny in the valleys.

So, in brief, what you'd take if you were going out in the UK for a weeks holiday, except the weather might be a bit warmer and drier.

Or it might not ...........................:blast

But hey thanks for popping in. :thumb2:thumb

Having never been to the swiss alps before what sort of climate are we expecting to encounter on our trip, also do i need any passes to use the roads over there ? :confused:

If you are going in December.... It's going to be bloody cold!

Weather Underground site has more historic data than you can shake a stick at.

It's a bit like the UK. Had you asked two years ago what's it like in the summer? The answer: Not at all bad. But, had you come over last year..... You would have got very wet and very dissapointed.

The best and easiest tip?

Look at picures of the Alps in summer... Happy hikers, wild flowers, contented cows, placid lakes, sunbathers.... They cannot all be wrong....

Look at pictures in winter.... Snow and ice....

Then go figure, as our US cousins are prone to say.

Same as on the Moon then :mmmm

Look at picures of the Alps in summer... Happy hikers, wild flowers, contented cows, placid lakes, sunbathers.... They cannot all be wrong....

Selective photo's :blast who'd go if they only showed it raining there?

As a sort of example. Col de la Bonette one day in mid July, sleet, windy and not very nice :( The very next day, 20 deg C, visibility so good you could see your own back, and no wind.

Pack for c**p and good weather, be pleased if it's good.

In the summer, it can be warmer than the UK, but then it can also be a lot wetter. High passes still have snow on them for a reason, although we have sat in a snowdrift in baking hot sunshine.
Layers.
The answer to your question. :thumb
I wear my Aerostich over shorts and a t-shirt when it's hot, and add layers as the temperature falls.
Mark

Generally the weather here in summer is warm. 30C is not unusual in the valleys and 20C in the ski resorts. The higher passes can drop to single figures and occassionally in September be near freezing first thing in the morning, but that's possible not likely. It rains far less than the UK but when it arrives it usually stays for a few days.

Hope this helps :thumb

also do i need any passes to use the roads over there ? :confused:

Yes, but only for motorways.

It's called a vignette and is available at the border and pretty much any petrol station.

It lasts for a year and afterwards you can sell it to the saddoes at various cafes around the uk:augie.......if you can peel it off your screen :blast

Available online here but I've not used that site for them so use at your risk ;)

:Motomartin:tears
Generally the weather here in summer is warm. 30C is not unusual in the valleys and 20C in the ski resorts. The higher passes can drop to single figures and occassionally in September be near freezing first thing in the morning, but that's possible not likely. It rains far less than the UK but when it arrives it usually stays for a few days.
Good advice, but be aware the same time last year We experianced a proper snowstorm on top of Col Du Galibier, very scary for a while,(wife on the back).
That evening we stopped in a big white castle like hotel in a valley some where near Barcelonnette, great stopover :beer: but the next morning every thing was white with frost :eek:eek:. The hotelier insisted we waited untill noon as the high roads were sheet ice. Not trying to put anyone off, other years September has been brilliant and we will be back again this year.

34C here today in the valley. It was even 31C at 1500m. Just goes to show how warm it can get here :Motomartin

On Saturday it snowed everywhere over 2000m, and in some places as low as 1200m. Just goes to show how variable the weather can be.

On Saturday it snowed everywhere over 2000m, and in some places as low as 1200m. Just goes to show how variable the weather can be.

Variable-now there's a word I would welcome to describe the weather:rolleyes: We've had rain,rain,showers and more rain-sometimes heavy............

i wonder if i can get my snowboard on the bike :mmmm

Back
Top Bottom