abs red warning triangle light staying on?? 1150 GS

ka4564

Reaction score
Hi,
I have had the 1150 gs for 2 months now and im very pleased, love the bikes to bits. One problem though I have got the red warning triangle (abs) under the square abs light staying on.
When I turn on the ignition the abs does it checks the abs light above the triangle stays on until I pull off (normal) then goes out.
But the red warning triangle stays on, the brakes work well and I can hear the motor working. I have been riding the bike with the triangle light on for around 100 miles and all seems fine although a little un nerving.
I have had the battery checked and that is ok the only other thing I done was fitted a autocom system. Firstly I tried to wire to the green and black foot brake wire but it did not work I have since re joined that wire and soldered it.
I have since wired to the rear light which works. The only other odd thing was my brake light was continuously on due to me not putting the bulb back in correctly I have since removed it and put it back all works fine now, but I still have the red triangle staying on.
Any ideas??

1150 gs 02 abs

Many Thanks

If the ABS warning lamp goes off but the red warning triangle stays on it means you have a problem with your tail/brake lamp. Make sure its fitted proprly or not blown. Always a good idea to carry a spare as they are only about £1 anyway.

Good luck.

AndyT:cool:

Thanks Andy i have checked the tail light and all seems fine - light works and break work - i do have the auto com wired into the rear light though.

The bulb may appear to be working correctly on both filaments, but if one filament has broken, the bike realises this and adjusts the voltage to the one remaining filament. So that it still "seems" as if the brake and tail light are working.

Change the bulb!

If that doesn't work, take your modification off the bike.

Me too!

I have the same problem but I have not changed anything recently. After I have ridden for a couple of miles if I switch the ignition off and on again it goes out. I have charged the battery - it made no difference. The bulb filaments are both working fine. My mate had the same issue on his GSA SE and it was a wire wearing through which was covered by his warranty- is this a common issue if so does anyone now where the problem ususally occurs?

I'm not aware of this being a common problem however my tail light had a dodgy filament and it would come on and go out randomly so I changed the bulb and it has been fine since. I would suggest if you have wired in your autocom to the rear light that this will be th eproblem. Most people tend to put them at the rear of the tank and have a fused connection coming from either the bettery, a seperate fuse panel or the auxillary outlet socket.

Good luck

Andy

Warning Light

As has been said, change the globe in the tail lamp.
If that does not make the problem go away, check the fluid level in the master cyclinder of the servo unit - low brake fluid due to pad wear will also cause the warning light to do its job.

I have had both problems at different times.:blast

cheers
gregGS

Thanks for the tips - I'll try changing the bulb and checking the fluid - my autocom is hard wired with the autocom switched live solution - just as an update the light only stays on after starting for the first time each day - after I have switched off and on again in the same day it seems to stay off:nenau

anyway thanks for the help.

Thanks for the tips - I'll try changing the bulb and checking the fluid - my autocom is hard wired with the autocom switched live solution - just as an update the light only stays on after starting for the first time each day - after I have switched off and on again in the same day it seems to stay off:nenau

anyway thanks for the help.

By all means check your fluid level but if that was low it would bring in the ABS alarm and not the Red Triangle so I'm confident its a tail light issue:thumb

ANDY T official genius

Andy T you’re a genius done as you said and the triangle went out – you were right the small filament was blown.
I even popped the bike along to Dameralls our local bike shop who checked if over but did not know what the problem was, so they suggested taking the bike to BMW Plymouth. The bike was booked in for 2 weeks time at £37 just for the thing to be wired up plus the cost to repair her.

So thanks again mate :JB

Kevin

I was also immensely relieved when I found out, the first time this happened to me.

Eliminator thank you too - i did'nt think it would be the bulb and was'nt going to check it until i saw the ending of one of your post 'CHECK THE BULB! so i did. again thank you

Checked mine too and although both filaments were working - one did look a little distorted so ive replaced it and will see how it goes.

Andy T you’re a genius done as you said and the triangle went out – you were right the small filament was blown.
I even popped the bike along to Dameralls our local bike shop who checked if over but did not know what the problem was, so they suggested taking the bike to BMW Plymouth. The bike was booked in for 2 weeks time at £37 just for the thing to be wired up plus the cost to repair her.

So thanks again mate :JB

Kevin

Nice to see a good result:thumb2 Theres loads of useful tips on this site and not usually from me by the way, :augie

AndyT:cool:

Always worth replacing the bulb, cheap and often works. I had the warning lamp intermittently because the broken ends of the filament sometimes touched so the bulb would work (for the self-test) some days but not others. Change even a bulb that looks OK, can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom