G450X - Any had more than 70 hrs use yet?

What are they like on the electric starter? I had the 650 and the starter was strictly a 'restarter' mostly used if I stalled it, starting on electric from cold was all but impossible. I have no issues with kickers, even left kickers but the thought of trying to get it started by kickstart 3/4 of the way up a steep muddy slope for the 5th time is downright scary :eek:

The Husaberg battery is small for sure (and won't churn the engine for ages like my old DR-Z would), but I have not once needed to start mine with the kicker - hot or cold.

Greg

What are they like on the electric starter? I had the 650 and the starter was strictly a 'restarter' mostly used if I stalled it, starting on electric from cold was all but impossible. :

The new Bergs are quite different animals, one of my Hill Climbing buddies uses a 450 both for the hills and green laning and it's a cracking bike :thumb2

I just sold my DRZ and went a bit 'left field' getting an '06 Husky 610 (very different from the older 610's that most peeps are familliar with). I wasn't expecting much but I'll tell you what, it's superb - nearly as good as my mates Berg on the rough (but then both the bikes are far better than their respective riders!) but much, much better on the roads getting to and inbetween the lanes - might be worth a looky?

Andres

The new Bergs are quite different animals, one of my Hill Climbing buddies uses a 450 both for the hills and green laning and it's a cracking bike :thumb2

I just sold my DRZ and went a bit 'left field' getting an '06 Husky 610 (very different from the older 610's that most peeps are familliar with). I wasn't expecting much but I'll tell you what, it's superb - nearly as good as my mates Berg on the rough (but then both the bikes are far better than their respective riders!) but much, much better on the roads getting to and inbetween the lanes - might be worth a looky?

Andres
My primary aim is something light as a lot of what I do is very steep up/down inter spaced with knee deep mud/water hence the desire to stop in the 450 class. Having said that one of the gals that rides with us has a 2007ish 250 Husky enduro that is incredibly good and offers performance not far off the GX but with traditional build standards. She does tend to have a 'lie down' with the bike from time to time but she is only maybe 5'4" so that is acceptable :)

Whatever I choose needs to be fun, capable and slightly spiteful with a budget of around 2500 quid ish as I will get stabbed if I spend any more esp. as it is a second bike.

DR's despite being great bikes are not an option as it needs to be european.

My primary aim is something light as a lot of what I do is very steep up/down inter spaced with knee deep mud/water hence the desire to stop in the 450 class. Having said that one of the gals that rides with us has a 2007ish 250 Husky enduro that is incredibly good and offers performance not far off the GX but with traditional build standards. She does tend to have a 'lie down' with the bike from time to time but she is only maybe 5'4" so that is acceptable :)

Whatever I choose needs to be fun, capable and slightly spiteful with a budget of around 2500 quid ish as I will get stabbed if I spend any more esp. as it is a second bike.

DR's despite being great bikes are not an option as it needs to be european.

A Berg then would seem to fit the bill :).................but, how's about a 300 KTM stinkwheel (even has a leccy button!) - VERY good in tricky, muddy stuff (contrary to what you may think) :thumb2

Andres

£10 to cancer research mate.... No way will a £6000 new BMW bring more money than a £5800 09 KTM 450 EXCR.

No way at all mate

The buyers would be falling over themselves to buy the KTM... You would really have to push the BMW.

I struggled to flog my Jan 09 registered 58 plate 450x for £4650.... and I mean really struggled.

I bought it for £4750 with only 9 hours on it, with nearly £600's worth of extras included... akra, plastics, low seat, new tyres as spares, oil, clutch lever etc etc etc.

I was glad to get shot of it because the dealers have a stack of them left over just waiting to be sold off.

The second hand market will be even worse now that Knighter has amicably agreed to bin his contract with BMW.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the BMW and I think it is a good trail bike, I just wanted shot of it before I lost a stack of cash on it.

Had any interest yet then ???

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36336

The bike sold for £4800, plus around £30 I'll get back on the tax disc. No messing around with shipping or dropping the bike off at ferry ports either ;)

Interest was very high, around 80 watchers on the Ebay Auction, loads of questions, most people wanting something else other than a KTM.

Some silly 'Best Offers' (1 for £500!) were received, but I found the better offers were taken via email.

So for that £10 to Cancer Research, you just need to flog your KTM 400 EXC now!

I phoned round a few KTM Dealers, and I can have one Brand New OTR KTM 400 EXCR for £5000. I am sure I could do better than that if I tried harder, so I reckon you will be VERY lucky to get more than £4500, but I reckon closer to £4000.

Anyway Good Luck

MitchMan

Still waiting for you to name the dealers who are offering 400 EXCR's for £5k, Triple D are still quoting £5.5k otr this week.

I aren't selling my 400 as I like the bike that much, but If i was to put it up for sale today I know it would fetch more than your £4800 Beemer.

BMW can't be that confident of their bikes as Knighter can't ride any of the remaining rounds of the WEC on any other bike than a BMW.

If he was wrong about the bike they would let him ride the Kawasaki KX450F to achieve similar results as what he had on the 450x.

2 rides 2 wins so far on the Kawasaki.

He will do really well now he has Paul Bird Motorsports backing too :p

A brief update on mine, initial view was the piston skirt was scuffed quite badly along with the bore but latest report from BMW via my wife are 'It is in a million bits' ETR is maybe a couple of weeks. It appears to be a warranty job and as ever my local dealer is doing a brilliant job but it does worry me slightly.

So I feel a change of bike coming on :( Even worse is the fact that they leant me an 09 registered R1200R to use until the GX is finished and I was dim enough to take the wife out on the back, and she enjoyed it, and so did I.

BWM dealers are very sneaky like that.....

So it looks like the GX will be swapped out for an R1200R but that still leaves me needing something for the weekends.

450 Husaberg maybe? The problem now is I have ridden 'Bergs and KTM's and neither felt like the GX which is like a mountain goat in comparison.

What's the latest on your bike then?

Still waiting for you to name the dealers who are offering 400 EXCR's for £5k, Triple D are still quoting £5.5k otr this week.

I aren't selling my 400 as I like the bike that much, but If i was to put it up for sale today I know it would fetch more than your £4800 Beemer.

BMW can't be that confident of their bikes as Knighter can't ride any of the remaining rounds of the WEC on any other bike than a BMW.

If he was wrong about the bike they would let him ride the Kawasaki KX450F to achieve similar results as what he had on the 450x.

Dont think we can compare the GNCC and a round of the GBXC to the standard of riding in the WEC its like chalk and cheese and he is riding a Motorcross bike i am not doubting his riding he is a legend just dont think he could gel with the BM and get the best out of it

Plus the BMW didnt do that bad in the WEC at the last round a 2nd place finish from Juha and a 3rd at the Erzberg from Andreas Lettenbichler,

As I said there are two dealers I found in the UK offering 400 EXCRs Brand New OTR for 5K. If you really wanted one you would go the the KTM UK Dealer page, and phone negotiate with them in turn, starting at the top.

It is amazing what can be negotiated when you really try. Most dealers start off by offering your a free first service, reduced price parts and free kit but if you press they will give you a good cash discount, specially if you just say you will take your customer elsewhere.

Your bike is worth 4K maximum now, maybe £4200 if your lucky, no lower depreciation than a secondhand BMW G450X.

As we near September and the 2010 KTM Range Launch, prices will be steadily coming down and down on the Brand New but old stock 2009s, and 400 EXCRs will be available at £4600 in September (Just check Fowlers et al).

However good luck to Triple D at pricing themselves out of the market in todays economic situation. As you also mentioned on the UK KTM Forum you had bought one yourself for £5400 from Triple D, so there is obviously room for movement with them also.

As I said there are two dealers I found in the UK offering 400 EXCRs Brand New OTR for 5K. If you really wanted one you would go the the KTM UK Dealer page, and phone negotiate with them in turn, starting at the top.

It is amazing what can be negotiated when you really try. Most dealers start off by offering your a free first service, reduced price parts and free kit but if you press they will give you a good cash discount, specially if you just say you will take your customer elsewhere.

Your bike is worth 4K maximum now, maybe £4200 if your lucky, no lower depreciation than a secondhand BMW G450X.

As we near September and the 2010 KTM Range Launch, prices will be steadily coming down and down on the Brand New but old stock 2009s, and 400 EXCRs will be available at £4600 in September (Just check Fowlers et al).

However good luck to Triple D at pricing themselves out of the market in todays economic situation. As you also mentioned on the UK KTM Forum you had bought one yourself for £5400 from Triple D, so there is obviously room for movement with them also.

Name your 2 dealers then and I will try to buy one for the same money.... if I can then I will gladly donate £10 to cancer research, no problem.

You obviously dont realise my bike is an 09 as I sold an 08 450 EXCR for £4300 only 3 months ago. !!

DSC00643.jpg

An 09 400 will command top end money as they are in short supply secondhand, infact I haven't seen a used one on ebay yet. There was one in the TBM magazine a few months back and it had sold at 0800hrs on the first morning of publication for £5300.

Like was offered... you can use somebody elses money to buy every 400 you can for £5k or less.

You can't do it.... simple as that !!

There was one in the TBM magazine a few months back and it had sold at 0800hrs on the first morning of publication for £5300.

£5300 for a second hand bike that you can get brand new for £5000, someone must have seen him coming!! Even you got one for £5400??? I'm guessing that must have been a lot earlier in the year when the 09 models were still 'hot'. There has't been any supply problems with the 400 EXCR (in fact they must be struggling to sell them due to the deals that we have both found on them).

Even you know that when the wave of 2010 models hits town with their 'huge' changes like new stickers, different coloured grips etc, interest in the 2009s falls and you can hear the money literally fall out of the 09 model.

The only thing that will stop this is :-

a) The model is being discontinued and it is a 'cult' bike
b) The new range is massively more expensive
c) There are massive supply problems with the 2010 bikes

Out of those options, b) is the only possibility, however as I have said KTM simply cannot put the prices up (at shop floor level) as they just will not sell, and they are already bankrupt! They need to sell bikes.

KTMs are ten to a penny on the second hand market, if someone wants a 400EXCR but can't find one they just buy the nearest available as there are so many around, maybe a 450 EXCR or 200EXC, 250EXC, 300EXC.

By looking at used prices across the range, it would seem to me that the price of a second hand KTM is halved (from Brand New OTR) after about 2 years. Pretty poor IMHO.

An 09 400 will command top end money as they are in short supply secondhand

"Command"......?:nenau
Don't kid yourself..... your droning on about a KTM ffs, not an old MV Augusta, there is plenty of new ones in dealers, and most still in boxes. There are very few secondhand due to very few new ones being sold in the first place. The very few new that have been sold are brobably into a season's worth of motorsport, so won't be for sale until a year old, ie, when the next edition of the bike come out.

Now, isn't that a better package than a 450X - pretty too

Looks superb

Don't know, I can't see it.... it's covered in fecking stickers.......:ymca
And as you know JB, I've never been a fan of KTMs, why? probably because of the other owners, the way they behave..... and the shite that they talk. And I've ridden with quite a few over the years......

And looking at it again, I'd rather have my DRZ400E.

Timpo.

Looks superb:thumb

You should buy one then, several KTM Dealers are knocking them out the door for 5K OTR if you ring round, as the 2010 Models are on the way.

Why do you hate the G450X so much though (and never owned one). I have noticed you knock them at every opportunity?

Looks superb

Don't know, I can't see it.... it's covered in fecking stickers.......:ymca
And as you know JB, I've never been a fan of KTMs, why? probably because of the other owners, the way they behave..... and the shite that they talk. And I've ridden with quite a few over the years......

An looking at it again, I'd rather have my DRZ400E.

Timpo.

I think they just did!

A 2010 KTM 400 EXC-R retails at £6545

:eek:

Greg

As I have said sooo many times thats RRP, they will not sell any at that price (You can get a R6 for 7K!!) and the price out the door will be much less.

Or if they stick to it, KTM (Already Bankrupt) will die.

Back
Top Bottom