Grand St Bernard Pass Pics - Today

Magnum

Reaction score
Here's a few pics to whet your appetite lads :rob

Today I rode one of my favourite Swiss mountain passes, the Grand St Bernard Pass. It has only been open officially a few days and we will be riding it towards the end of Day 1 in September.

img0748r.jpg

The Road was quite rough in places with plenty of evidence of recently cleared rock slides, but it is a beautifully natural and quiet place.

img0753r.jpg

Plenty of snow still around although most of it will be gone by September.

img0758r.jpg

The GSA looks perfectly at home in these surroundings.

img0764r.jpg

Stopped at the top for a coffee and slice of Tarte Tatin :drool Parked next to a load of UK Wings which failed to make the GSA look small.

img0763r.jpg

Remember this? Well this is what it looked like last August.

17597472wy8.jpg

What a difference a few months makes :nod

Temperature was around 20C in Aosta as low as 6.5C at the top of the pass where it did sleet briefly and then 22C back down at the bottom of the Swiss side.

Roll on September :beerjug:

I see you have give the GSA a run out and left the moto locked up this time:thumb2

Looking good though , hope yuo had your thermals on looks a bit nippy :D

Hi Magnum et all,
Been looking at your trip over the last few days, as part of it coincides with what Denise and I are doing! We leave on the 12th of September, heading down the Route Napoleon, along the Italian Riviera, around the Lakes, then heading back over the Alps via my cousin's place in Interlaken. Will keep an eye out for you all, in fact I may just switch a couple of routes around to make sure I don't meet you all coming the opposite way! :eek :augie :D
Mark

Jammy git, Mags. :D

I had to put up with these views...

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

...I still have a kind of throbbing, drumming noise in my head - I think it's from all the concentration through the twisty bits. Feels like I've been part of a rock concert or something! :eek:

I'll post some more pics a little later.

:beerjug:

Looks good mate:drool did you get the weather and did you meet up with anyone ?:thumb

These Yoys can sometimes appear to be quite shy and reclusive, in truth however you simply cannot use one sentence to ask two questions - their brains canna tak it.
Legend has it that one particular breed, the pot bellied Yoy, can spit out whole languages in a single sitting.
Lets hope Brian that you haven't attempted to communicate with one of these as. once rested they can go off like a dragon with hiccups.

Only time will tell................

These Yoys can sometimes appear to be quite shy and reclusive, in truth however you simply cannot use one sentence to ask two questions - their brains canna tak it.
Legend has it that one particular breed, the pot bellied Yoy, can spit out whole languages in a single sitting.
Lets hope Brian that you haven't attempted to communicate with one of these as. once rested they can go off like a dragon with hiccups.

Only time will tell................

I'm on an economy drive.

(that was a very funny reply!)

Weather was 75% good, 25% ar5e, and I met Mags.

He is a Prince amongst men. Should be a riot (in the nicest sense) in les Alpes.

Knowing you Northern lot (well, most of you), this trip should make for a reet good laff.

There. And not a t' in sight :augie

Weather was 75% good, 25% ar5e, and I met Mags.

He is a Prince amongst men. Should be a riot (in the nicest sense) in les Alpes.
The feeling is mutual mate :thumb2

Great company, great riding buddy :clap

Nice bike too, but sadly too small for me.

Jammy git, Mags. :D

I had to put up with these views...

...I still have a kind of throbbing, drumming noise in my head - I think it's from all the concentration through the twisty bits. Feels like I've been part of a rock concert or something! :eek:

I'll post some more pics a little later.

:beerjug:

Off topic - how are ya lovin that SM-T ? :bounce1

Hey Magnum. These are great pics. The missus and I will be travelling in the Alps in early September and would like to know if this pass is suitable for relatively novice riders. We had planned going over the Col de petit St Bernard to Italy but I fancy a couple more days exploring. Your comments appreciated.

Superb pics. Just checked and the Col de la Bonette is now open. Might have to have a day off work this week :)

Hey Magnum. These are great pics. The missus and I will be travelling in the Alps in early September and would like to know if this pass is suitable for relatively novice riders. We had planned going over the Col de petit St Bernard to Italy but I fancy a couple more days exploring. Your comments appreciated.
You'll have no problem at all on this pass. The road surface is actually very good on the majority of the pass but there are a few rough areas and some roadworks with at least one very short section of gravel road. Nothing to worry about though and I saw several Goldwings crossing the pass without issue.

Enjoy your trip :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom