Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ...LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE...

...LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE...

Having just put down the phone down, the realisation hit me that l had just booked the Level 2 Tour. l had phoned M-M with the intention of booking the road only trip, but with 6 months to go there was plenty of time to practice or so l thought .
    Anyway the nice lady on the phone (Rosie) assured me that everything would be OK and l would be fine mmmm...we'll see.

DAY 1, MONDAY 24TH NOVEMBER 2008
    6 months on and the only practice was a weekend in Wales with a very patient Simon Pavey(nice bloke). l was now in Bill's Lancruiser pulling into the Hotel La Menara car park in Marrakech where we will be staying for the first night. Met up with Tim and Wayne who with Bill were there to make sure we didn't get lost or worse. Me, Gary, Dave, Tony, and Chris who arrived later that day were the paying customers.

We checked over our bikes to make sure all was OK , all we needed now was lunch and insurance so Bill took us to a company he had used before with a cafe next door, perfect.
    Back to the hotel sorted out our luggage for the next day, met for a briefing and then a short walk to spend an evening in the the main square Djemaa el-Fna.
    Fantastic place lots going on and very busy with locals and tourists. Tim was leading the way and took us to a place he had eaten before were he knew the food would be good and it was.

This was some of the tastiest food l was to have on the whole trip, plenty for everyone and really cheap.

Tony looks less comfortable with his new best friend.

Deleted account W
    Quote Originally Posted by JALFREZI View Post
    Tony looks less comfortable with his new best friend.
    Tony looks like he needs a smaller camera

DAY 2, TUESDAY 25TH NOVEMBER
    MARRAKECH TO QUARZAZATE
    Up early for breakfast and then out to the bikes. Stocked up with plenty of water and nibbles from the petrol station on the corner and filled up the Camelbak. We headed out of Marrakech and out towards Tiz-N-Tichka. Having not been on the bike for a couple of weeks it was good to be riding again.

After a couple of hours we stopped for coffee

We were heading up towards the mountains now and Bill had promised some good twisty roads and they were brilliant mile after mile. The Tkc's did well on tarmac better than they had a right to.

The intention was to stop for lunch but it was bitterly cold so we all took pictures and decided to push on. Beginning to see how impressive the scenery is.

We continued for a few more miles and left the tarmac for the first time on the trip. Have to confess riding down a narrow trail over big rocks was a steep learning curve for me, made an absolute cods of it but got down in the end. All credit to the others they made a good job of it.

Dropped down into a village for hot coffee, fresh bread and omelette.

Probably the best omelette l've tasted. Nice friendly people and proper toilets.

This was probably one of the best piste's of the tour and we are all getting a bit more confident.

Dave's turn for the character building experience.

It doesn't get much better than this.

My turn

Deleted Member I

EOS 1 for holiday snaps

It's HUGE

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post
    EOS 1 for holiday snaps

It's HUGE
    It stayed on the back of his bike for the whole trip as well......when he wasn't using it I mean
    There was more than a slight look of panic when he threw his 800 into a river, as you'll probably see 'cos I'm sure Nick will post that one too
    Nice one Nick, keep it coming
    सत्यमेव जयते

Deleted Member I
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    It stayed on the back of his bike for the whole trip as well......when he wasn't using it I mean
    There was more than a slight look of panic when he threw his 800 into a river, as you'll probably see 'cos I'm sure Nick will post that one too
    Nice one Nick, keep it coming
    That body and L lens probably cost MORE than his girly 800

probably, but having seen some of the pictures it was well worth it

Riding through water with at least 4 camera's pointing at you, waiting for you to fall has got to be one worst experiences.
    Most of us got through one way or another as Dave did here.

Tony's turn, does he.......

No, but nearly did. Full marks for style.

This was a great piste. I would like to have ridden that again after a weeks more experience but great fun on the first day, despite dropping the bike on numerous occasions.

Tim makes it look so easy.

Stopped for coffee at Ait-Benhaddou. What a view.

Chris cooling down after a hot day

Waiting for food, but glad to see that Bill, Wayne and Tim had got their priorities right on the beer front. Looks like Chris had found himself an overly familiar waiter probably not one of their busiest nights.
    It will be another early start tomorrow, can't wait.

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Looks like Chris had found himself an overly familiar waiter probably not one of their busiest nights.
    It will be another early start tomorrow, can't wait.
    The Hotel La vallee in Ouzazarte ...they know us very well in there and look after us extremely well.

Tim, David Hale and I turned up there at 11 at night after a rather interesting night time descent from Askouan a few years back and within an hour, they'd rustled us up a very large kefta omelette and a bottle of wine....top guys and a good laugh

sorry,

सत्यमेव जयते

DAY 3, WEDNESDAY 26TH NOVEMBER
    QUARZAZATE
    Early start for breakfast on the terrace by the pool followed by inevitable fettling of the bikes after yesterdays eventful ride.
    The plan today is to ride just outside of the town to where the desert film studio's are based. This will give us our first practice/play in the sand for a couple of hours and then head off on to the local piste's with a mix of surfaces for the rest of the day.

By the time we get to the studio's it's time to strip off.

GSA built for storming forts, Dave's artistic photo.

This is where we started seeing Chris in a different light. For someone who only passed his 9 months ago the he was a natural, makes yer sick.

Normally Tim would lead but on this occasion we followed Wayne, think we'll stick with Tim.

Stopped here for a drink break, rumours of rabid dogs living in the old film set did not worry us. But a local coming towards wanting money did so off we went.

Oh no, just when confidence arrives this happens, strange but 30 seconds earlier l was riding in completely the opposite direction.

Great pics, keep 'em coming

Back to Ait-benhaddou for lunch.

After we had filled our faces there was time to play in the water. Don't worry readers l'm sure Tims bike will be ok.

Tony riding up from the river.
    Note disappointed shop owner missing a 20mph sales opportunity.

Rode out on tarmac for a while to find the next piste.
    I'm sure it's somewhere out there.

These women must have been walking for miles with these branches on their backs as there was no vegitation around.
    Decided against showing my wife this picture (better stop while i'm ahead as it's almost time for tea).

Back on the piste's and the weather was on the turn and beginning to get cold.

I said it was getting colder, looks like character building time again.

At the briefing in Marrakech, Bill made sure that we understood the two most important rules.
    Rule 1. Check that the rider is ok after a fall.
    Rule 2. Take a picture.
    I think that Bill must be very proud of the fact that we obeyed these rules even in these adverse conditions while he drove his Land Cruiser with climate control, heated seats etc etc etc.

Rule 3
    Check that Tony's camera is ok after a fall.

This scenery never fails to impress me. As good as these photo's are they just do not do it justice.

LOVIN' IT!!

Stop for water and a smoke.

We re-fueled in Boumalne-Dades and continued on to our hotel in Ait-Youl. By now the sun was going down it was bitterly cold but Bill had done us proud. He had reached the hotel earlier that afternoon (should explain, Bill goes on ahead carrying all our luggage, tools, spares etc in the 4x4 and books the hotels). I think that the hotel was closed for the winter but the owner had opened up just for us.
    Bill had organised a log fire in the lounge and heaters on full in the bedrooms and to cap it all 3 bottles of red wine, excellent.

Having looked closely at the picture not sure what Tony was doing.

Supping a glass of wine in front of the fire. What ever was happening l found amusing but didn't look like anyone else did.
    Could have been when Gary was warming his cheeks (you had to be there) by the fire.
    Please note huge camera No 2 belongs to Dave.

DAY 5, FRIDAY 28TH NOVEMBER
    AIT-YOUL TO TINERHIR
    This was one of the days l was waiting for, heading up the Dades Gourge to Agoudal then pick up the Todra Gourge down to Tinererhir.

While l was getting my gear on Tim noticed that my right fork was leaking. Optimistically we thought it could be due to the altitude, temperature etc and decide to ride on to the next stop.

Probably one of the most photographed roads in Morocco, but no less impressive when you are there.

No better place to stop for coffee.

Chris practising being a shop assistant, make a change from milking cows.

With the others on their way there was time to take more pictures of this stunning scenery.

With oil now pissing out of my left fork as well things were not looking to hopeful with the brake discs and tyre covered in it.
    Decision was made to let the others continue with Bill following me till the tarmac ended then turn around go back down and ride to Tinerhir by road and tomorrow either ride the KTM to Zagora , where there is a mechanic, or put it on the trailer.
    We really needed to try and get new fork seals or the rest of my trip was in jeopardy. So l phoned (got a signal in the middle of nowhere) Ian and Alistair at Jim Aim Motorcycles to see if they could express fork seals to Zagora. Anyway to cut a long story short they were as usual very helpful and worked out the quickest way was for us to contact a dealer in Casablanca who had someone in the parts dept. that could speak English. They would ship the seals (only had one set) to Zagora where they would be waiting for us on the Sunday. A special mention to Bill who while we were on the move was talking to the UK and Casablanca on the phone to get all this sorted out for me. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast