1200LT

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm spending a lot of time bashing m'ways at the moment.
What would £4ks worth of lt be like (additonal to the GS, not a replacement)
Anybody had one - what they like?

I'm spending a lot of time bashing m'ways at the moment.
What would £4ks worth of lt be like (additonal to the GS, not a replacement)
Anybody had one - what they like?

I had one of them very comfortable but very very very heavy and the weight is always waiting to catch you out, loved the cruise control and inbuild audio, but did I metion they are very very very heavy and the weight is alway waiting to catch you out!!:blast

BMW K1200LT

Most comfortable, quiet, motorcycle I have ever ridden. Like them. Also quick.
They are much heavier than your other correspondant suggested, in fact no matter how heavy you think they are, they are even heavier. (Does having a reverse gear tell you something?)
If it falls over, send for a crane.
Economical and good handling. Nice low riding position. Quiet.
If it needs an air cleaner, sell it. Around 5 hours labour to put on in! You have to strip off all bike plastics, handlebar plastics, Radio system, Front seat and fuel tank. Then it is easy to get at.
Myke

I'm on my 3rd LT, can't get enough.

Turbine smooth K motor, 5 (later 6 ) speed box with a reverse gadget powered from the starter motor.
They had a facelift in 2004 and went to the very complex and expensive to repair but "wow, mister that's impressive" electro-hydraulic centrestand. Engine power went up from 98 to 115BHP, and there were a few other minor mods, so pre=04 bits don't usually fit post -04.
They have a tendency to roll off the sidestand if the road slopes at anything like plus 1 or 2 degrees from flat (ask me how I know ).
Fantastic tourer capable of 500 mile days every day for weeks.
Highly impractical for short. in-to-town journeys as they take up the same roadspace as a Smart Car or two :D
You can smuggle reufgees in the massive panniers and topbox.:thumb2
Downside is that the tupperware is all encompassing and expesive to get into if you pay main dealer prices. I can get mine naked in less than an hour if I want to, but it takes LOTS of practice.
I think of mine as a GoldWing without all the schmaltz. It does the job superbly well, with the minimum of fuss, and without any of the "Christmas Tree" additions.
Spares are plentiful. but they stopped making them a year or two back in favour of the K1200 GT, which is a different mind state altogether. (Stunning bikethough). and the resale values are low compared to new prices (My '04 model was £14k, sold on for 8k 3 years later :eek:)

My current 99 model is an SE Lux with chrome trim, heated seats and grips, trip computer, 6-CD changer in the pannier and a few other shiny bits. Current value is about £4k. (Not for sale though, sorry). The aftermarket range of goodies is very limited as they were never sold in big numbers. I've added floorboards front and rear, a larger screen, HID light, and a few other bits, but that's really about all you can get hold of.

Hope this helps.

Mungrel

Hmm, somehow I'm tempted, if 4k is enough for a useable one.

Anything I need to look for/weaknesses etc? I assume that mile in itself shouldn't put me off.

Get on yer knee and check the join tween the engine and the gearbox if you have a lot of oil weeping out it needs a rear seal

Usually seen on early bikes with low miles It's a full strip to get at it and you'll proably need a clutch when you get in that far!

Not a Hugely complicated job especially if you know the mod of the right hand lower frame that catches the gearbox unless you remove the engine mount!

Just Time consuming Very Very Time consuming!!!

Oh and have a LARGE area for setting all the panels!!! :eek::eek::eek:

When parking one You should always turn the handlebars left and leave in first or the reverse gear lock on (sure as hell fools the sumbitches if the go to steal it LOL i.e. where's the handbrake??)

K1200RS's are good value if you can restrain yourself? As they go very very quickly! and aren;t just as heavy

K1200GT is the RS with better wind and weather protection and a power screen with cruise control too!

Super bikes and fun to ride once you know how fairings and pooh come off it's not much more complicated than the GS's

P>S> They are lighter than a 1500 /6 goldwing with all it's fluid and a tank of petrol and wing = 40 ish to the gallon and the 1200LT 50 to 58 is what I saw on my last big run on my mates

1200lt

I have one . Dont believe how heavy they are ,try one for size they are heavier than you could imagine, but get it to 5mph and the wieght just drops away. They handle far better than you can imagine sip fuel have a near 300mile range, more comfy than your favorite arm chair . but be warned the maintainence cost are horrendous unless you diy. Mine is coming up to 36000 and bmw have quoted approx £750. That means mine will not see a dealer again.
Oh by the way set cruise to 60mph and you will get 60mpg
Find yourself a good one and enjoy it.

P.s have a look on e-bay there is a one near Edinburgh for £3650 ish. If you were interested I could probably look at it for you as its only 50mls away

I have one . Dont believe how heavy they are ,try one for size they are heavier than you could imagine, but get it to 5mph and the wieght just drops away. They handle far better than you can imagine sip fuel have a near 300mile range, more comfy than your favorite arm chair . but be warned the maintainence cost are horrendous unless you diy. Mine is coming up to 36000 and bmw have quoted approx £750. That means mine will not see a dealer again.
Oh by the way set cruise to 60mph and you will get 60mpg
Find yourself a good one and enjoy it.

P.s have a look on e-bay there is a one near Edinburgh for £3650 ish. If you were interested I could probably look at it for you as its only 50mls away

I will be DIYing - it will be a new experience bodywork on a bike for me (I suspect one I'll curse at).

WFT is included 36000k service :eek: Should I be frightened of the servicing as a DIYer - cost or complexity?

Thats a kind offer to go and look, however:
1 - I need to sell the Speed triple first
2- I've only got keen on this recently - I may change my mind tomorrow :augie
3- I'm a bit nervous of long distance buys. My last 'complete bargain' resulted in driving from Surrey to Scotland in a v8 range rover and trailer to buy this unique and un-repeatable car:

It was indeed unique and unrepeatable is so many ways; that fact I can admit to it in public shows that time has mellowed the experience!

Attachments

• dutton.jpg
    dutton.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 159
At the risk of stating the obvious would an 1100/1150RT not achieve the same thing, that is bashing away the motorway miles?

Simpler to own/service/maintain and you could get a newer one for 4k.

r1100rt/r1150rt\k1200lt motorway miles

You would have to ride one for a couple of weeks to appreciate it.(K1200KT
For high speed comfort it is unparalleled.
I write as a previous owner of R1100RT, which I found very comfortable on long distance rides.

Forgive me the bit of a thread-jack guys.. but how'd they handle on fast sweeping A type roads, and if its not a silly question, twisties (yes, I know it ain't no scratcher :D) ?? I like to cover the miles but prefer to use motorways only when really needed. Been promising to take my Dad to Europe, thinking this would fit the bill.
I did have a 1200RT so am familiar with the genre so to speak.

Suppose it would be difficult to get one to try out these days. Not really looking to spend BuMW dealer prices. Would be potentially looking for an earlier one. Saw a 51 plate on Autotrader wants 5k, 12k miles, looks in good nick.

Any help appreciated folks, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom