Mounting a fuel bottle

jhock

Has any one mounted a fuel bottle on a GS with out having alloy panniers?

I have bought my self primus fuel bottle from my local camping shop and want to find a secure way of munting it on the bike.

721950_721960_732530_400x400.jpg

I have only ever seen this done to panniers (I have BMW system ones so can't do this).

Any one done something along these lines?

My bike is a 1150GS, no top box, just the stand little rack at the back.

Last edited:
I have an MSR bottle that I need to mount, I dont really fancy drilling holes in my panniers either, I have obtained a bicycle water bottle carrier frame which holds the bottle pretty snugly though I will add a paracord lashing for security, the attachment point for the cage is curved and looks like it will attach to my left side tubular pannier frame horizontally along the top tube.
Stewart

I have an MSR bottle that I need to mount, I dont really fancy drilling holes in my panniers either, I have obtained a bicycle water bottle carrier frame which holds the bottle pretty snugly though I will add a paracord lashing for security, the attachment point for the cage is curved and looks like it will attach to my left side tubular pannier frame horizontally along the top tube.
Stewart

Thanks Stewart, but as I have the system panniers I can't mount anything to the frame.

Might be able to do something similar to the little rack at the back.

I mounted a push bikes water bottle carrier onto the back of my system panniers and it works just fine. (the base, not the lid!) I carry spare oil in mine.

I figured that worst case scenario (not wanting it on any more) and I could fill two small holes with black silicon and it wouldn't show. As it is, it stays on permanently. and is "lashed" on with insulation tape. I also have used more tape to seal it - so I can tell if someone has tampered with it. (also provides a stash of spare tape for who knows what!). So far so good, looks good and never had a problem with it.

I mounted a push bikes water bottle carrier onto the back of my system panniers and it works just fine. (the base, not the lid!) I carry spare oil in mine.

I figured that worst case scenario (not wanting it on any more) and I could fill two small holes with black silicon and it wouldn't show. As it is, it stays on permanently. and is "lashed" on with insulation tape. I also have used more tape to seal it - so I can tell if someone has tampered with it. (also provides a stash of spare tape for who knows what!). So far so good, looks good and never had a problem with it.

Would cable ties hold the water carrier isted of drilling? :nenau

how/where do you cable tie the carrier to the pannier? There's nothing to cable tie it to? (or are we talking cross purposes?)

Fuel bottle

Have you thought of using one of the tool tubes, these will fit on the inside of your pannier frames (gsa ali frames) or if you don't have ali's the tube could be fixed on the bottom of your rear rack?:D
PROBLEM SOLVED:thumb

Have you thought of using one of the tool tubes, these will fit on the inside of your pannier frames (gsa ali frames) or if you don't have ali's the tube could be fixed on the bottom of your rear rack?:D
PROBLEM SOLVED:thumb

Just had a look at those, they look good but are a little expensive.

http://www.gtmoto.com/default.aspx

However, it does give me an idea to use a small length of plastic pipe, threaded at one end with a screw on cap and sealed at the other and tie wrapped to the bike under the little rack.

What do think?

Or have a gone a little diy crazy on day my off?!

If you’re going to strap it directly to the little rack at the back the SIGG neoprene covers here … http://sigg-online.com/Details.asp?PID=11323 would help stop it and the surface its in contact with from getting scratched as well stopping it from moving around in the same way a bare metal flask does. They also have a Velcro fastener (belt loop type thing) and a little back up hook you could para cord to the rack.

Keep in mind though they burn easily (just in case your stove is anything like mine :mad:)

cheers Cormick

+1 for the tool tube method.

However, using waterpipe, if you capped the "bottom end" and siliconed it to stay shut, then just drill two holes off centre at the other end and use long bolts with nyloc nuts as a way of preventing the bottle from falling out - one either side of the neck of the bottle when it is in situ. Or long split pins might be sufficient.

Watch the htreads on your bottle stopper. Mine stripped VERY easily when just tightening down by fingers onto the rubber sealing ring. Plastic thread on the stopper into metal thread on bottle = loose cap very quickly!

Back
Top Bottom