Do you know your blood group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the myth about Jaundice, years ago when i beleived everything i was told (not just what Tossers tell me like now) i was advised never to give blood cus when i was a nipper I had Yellow Jaundice is that true? :nenau

A-

I have an airbrushed crash helmet and it's airbrushed onto the chin guard on the side where you undo the strap.......along with my name.

Whats the myth about Jaundice, years ago when i beleived everything i was told (not just what Tossers tell me like now) i was advised never to give blood cus when i was a nipper I had Yellow Jaundice is that true? :nenau

taken from the Blood Donation web-site:

www.blood.co.uk

You should not give blood if:

4 You've had hepatitis or jaundice in the last 12 months.

it was more than 12 months ago was it...

Last edited:
taken from the Blood Donation web-site:

www.blood.co.uk

You should not give blood if:

4 You've had hepatitis or jaundice in the last 12 months.

it was more than 12 months ago was it...

Ummm, yeah, more like 40 years ago :blast
So that means i can give blood :clap
Its just getting over that sharp pointy thing they shove in yer arm, dont like they :(

Hope they does coffee as well as T? I guess Cider is a no no :D

Its just getting over that sharp pointy thing they shove in yer arm, dont like they :(

The worst bit for me is when they prick your fingertip to take a drop of blood to see if you are anemic. There's lots of nerve endings in your fingertips :D

If you are at all concerned about 'feeling it' they will give a local anesthetic in your arm if you ask nicely :) It used to be routine a few years back, but I can't say I noticed much difference when they stopped giving it - sure you can sometimes feel the 'flow' and I can understand why people might be put off by that, but there's no pain whatsoever.

And, yes coffee too. My centre also does fresh orange juice and some squash and cordial in the summer. Not just biscuits either - choccy bars, crisps and those healthy fruit bar things too. :thumb2

Gone are the days when Mavis (don't know who it was really, but I imagine it was a kind hearted old dear called Mavis) used to make sarnies at home and bring them in for the donors at my local centre. Another great moment in time lost forever to health and safety. Now if it's not shrink wrapped from the factory it doesn't get in. :(
I suppose it's progress...

I used to work in a blood lab. IMHO no one would take a sticker as proof that blood is safe to give. They test you if there is time or you get O Rh Neg and lump it. An ABO blood test takes 2 minutes once you get the sample. so make sure someone sends the sample quickly:augie

There are dozens of other blood groups that are screened for if there is time. Any one of them can cause an adverse reaction in certain circumstances. Usually its much slower than an ABO mismatch which often acts in seconds.

Regards

Path (now you know where the name comes from.)logic.

Wot he sed :agree

and - dont stickers make your helmet unsafe and illegal :nenau

It's a nice idea fella's, but it wont be accepted as gospel by the hospital, you'll have to make do with 0 RH neg till crossmatch group & save comes back.

Sorry, getting a bit peeved now...

I pointed out in my original post that the system was flawed and that having the blood type on the sticker without any photo ID or otherwise would probably be fairly meaningless. HOWEVER it's a free sticker which has "do not remove my helmet" on it (which I think most would agree is a good thing to prevent untrained people from doing in almost all circumstances). The second benefit is that it sparks the subject of blood donation and it seems that already from this thead we might have one or two new donors.

Without getting all soap-boxy about it, less than 3% of the ELIGIBLE population in the UK give blood which leaves a lot of room for improvement. If one or two people become donors because I've offered to post a couple of stickers out then I'll go away a happy man.

And, no, the stickers don't make the helmets unsafe or illegal. They have been developed by advanced rider groups who are well aware of the effects of certain solvents on crash helmets and these stickers have been specifically developed to be safe and legal for helmet use.

If you want to slag the scheme off then go ahead, but please start your own thread.

I know it's not perfect but what have you done that's any better?

It's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

Now go do one :D

Sorry, getting a bit peeved now...

I pointed out in my original post that the system was flawed and that having the blood type on the sticker without any photo ID or otherwise would probably be fairly meaningless. HOWEVER it's a free sticker which has "do not remove my helmet" on it (which I think most would agree is a good thing to prevent untrained people from doing in almost all circumstances). The second benefit is that it sparks the subject of blood donation and it seems that already from this thead we might have one or two new donors.

Without getting all soap-boxy about it, less than 3% of the ELIGIBLE population in the UK give blood which leaves a lot of room for improvement. If one or two people become donors because I've offered to post a couple of stickers out then I'll go away a happy man.

And, no, the stickers don't make the helmets unsafe or illegal. They have been developed by advanced rider groups who are well aware of the effects of certain solvents on crash helmets and these stickers have been specifically developed to be safe and legal for helmet use.

If you want to slag the scheme off then go ahead, but please start your own thread.

I know it's not perfect but what have you done that's any better?

It's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

Now go do one :D

Personally i think just the sticker without the blood group is a good idea, dunno what blood group I am anyway. As for giving blood i will definately look into doing it locally next time they're in town. So, thats one convert you have schiannini :thumb

O pos

Disappointed to read the statistics about the low percentage of people donating It's a real shame. We all have our reasons for doing it, I'm sure there are some more UKGSers who could find one.

IMG_0285.jpg

This is what it looks like and it really doesn't hurt.

Disappointed to read the statistics about the low percentage of people donating It's a real shame. We all have our reasons for doing it, I'm sure there are some more UKGSers who could find one.

IMG_0285.jpg

This is what it looks like and it really doesn't hurt.

Mmmmmm, pointy sharp thing + broken skin = pain

BUT

I will go and give some alcohol if they accept the blood that is in it, damn, sorry, i'll donate the blood if they can extract the alcohol....Thee again they could keep Tossers blood just for Tossers, they wont mind the alcohol content, they'd probably appreciate it.....

Seriously tho....I'll go, i promise :thumb2

AB+ and have donated a few pints.
Well I figured I had to make some donations before I could ask for a withdrawal :roll

The worst bit for me is when they prick your fingertip to take a drop of blood to see if you are anemic. There's lots of nerve endings in your fingertips :D

Which is why they shouldn't prick your finger on the tip.....should be taken from the side of the nail.....still blinking hurts, but not quite as sore.....:comfort

Yep know mine, I am O Neg and its needed frequently, I used to give blood quite often but not sure I can anymore, really ought to give my self a kick up the backside when the blood doners are next in my area and check and see.

1. swissrob A+
2. orange AB+
3. freeloader - David Lees - B-
4. zoomboxer O-
5. keyframe O+
6. stubbs B+
7. snow white AB+
8. summer O- (and with O- it's doubly important if you can donate so good for you for checking :thumb2)

Oh, and just in case people want to see what the stickers look like (sorry, blurry phone pic, but it gives you an idea):

Attachments

• cadar.jpg
    cadar.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,183
Only 3% of the population donate blood !!!:eek:

But remember, it is not just lazeness - they are quite strict on who can/cannot donate. If you have ever filled in the questions at the start you can see why many do not pass the strict rules. Things like having had a tattoo recently, holiday in a malaria area, got a cold, had surgery, on the game, taking drugs (even some that are legal) - there are loads more - check out their web-site www.blood.co.uk

People may even be put off by the time it takes - used to take nearly 1 hour from registraiton to having the needle withdrawn during peak times. Not so any more. They usually have 2 sessions - 1 around lunch-time and the other in the evening. It is now even possible to specify an exact time for an appointment so straight in you go and can be out in minutes. Employers should be encouraging staff to attend anyway.

Agreed - the most painful part of the process is the finger tip prick - but is over in seconds.

The staff take care of you from start to finish - they even pour your drinks out for you and clear your mess up at the table - what more do you want!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom