Do you know your blood group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also while I'm at it do a Life saving course, I did one years ago & will re do it as soon as I can. All of you guys that go out in group rides should know basic first aid at least, which thankfully a couple of Mick's friends did last June.

I did a Red Cross First Aid course 5 years ago and within 4 minutes of leaving my end of course assessment I was first on scene of a RTA where a young boy had suffered a broken leg and serious head injuries. I still had the assessment bandages in my pockets :rolleyes:. The Red Cross used the story for a few of their campaigns and even gave me a free refresher course 2 years ago.

I will never forget the wee boys face looking up at my and asking me "am I going to die?" . I of course said "you will be fine" :comfort though inside I was praying the paramedic would turn up soon, which he did.

Been on two runs since then when a rider has been injured so well worth getting first aid training and carrying a first aid kit.

Please give blood!!

Mick (Boxertools) was a enthusiastic supporter of giving blood, he had a GOLD BLOOD DONATING CARD! Which basically meant he had given over 20 pints. He always told people the importance of given blood & frequently nagged our 2 children to give blood. He was so upset when they both went & had tatoos as he had made them promise to give blood at least 4 times before having piercing or tatoos! They didn't realise that there were 16 week intervals between each blood donation!!
If he had survived his accident last June (08) he would have needed all of the blood he had donated over the years, & probably more too!
Now our 2 children have started giving blood & I will continue until my last breath.

So go on it's only an hour of your time & it could save some one's life.

Also while I'm at it do a Life saving course, I did one years ago & will re do it as soon as I can. All of you guys that go out in group rides should know basic first aid at least, which thankfully a couple of Mick's friends did last June.

Sorry for the nag

Mrs Tools (Caroline)

Point of information. As a holder of a silver badge for 25 donations I believe Boxertools donated 50 not 20 units as stated above. Just increases the respect.:bow:bow:bow:clap:clap

Hope to visit his bench this September, but it is a bloody long way from where i am!:D

Glad you're still on the site. I bet it hurts sometimes. Can't really imagine.

kind regards,

Path.

Sorry, getting a bit peeved now...

I pointed out in my original post that the system was flawed and that having the blood type on the sticker without any photo ID or otherwise would probably be fairly meaningless. HOWEVER it's a free sticker which has "do not remove my helmet" on it (which I think most would agree is a good thing to prevent untrained people from doing in almost all circumstances).

I must be one of the odd ones out.
Personally I would rather a person not trained in the safe removal of a helmet took it off and saved my life if it remaining in place meant my airway was compromised. Even if it meant the surgeons had a bit of work to do when I got to hospital. I'd rather get there alive. Sure I'd prefer it done by someone who knew what they were doing to minimise the risk of furhter injury, but if it's necessary I would prefer someone untrained didn't not bother cos a sticker told them not to.
Wouldn't happen?

A few years back a bike rider died when a driver pulled out on him at Haughley bends on the A14.
He didn't die of the relatively minor injuries sustained.
He died from drowning in the ditch he landed in, unconcious.
The ditch had just three inches of water in it.
He died because the driver who pulled out on him had been told not to move him in case it caused further injuries, and being unconcious face down in three inches of water his airway was seriously compromised.
Simply lifting his head clear of the water would have saved him.
Instead the driver watched him die.

The application of common sense would have seen the guy back on his bike in no time. The application of the instruction the driver had been given saw him have no chance whatsoever.
I'd rather not have the same happen to me because of a well meaning sticker.
The choice is totally yours tho.

I must be one of the odd ones out.
Personally I would rather a person not trained in the safe removal of a helmet took it off and saved my life if it remaining in place meant my airway was compromised. Even if it meant the surgeons had a bit of work to do when I got to hospital. I'd rather get there alive. Sure I'd prefer it done by someone who knew what they were doing to minimise the risk of furhter injury, but if it's necessary I would prefer someone untrained didn't not bother cos a sticker told them not to.
Wouldn't happen?

A few years back a bike rider died when a driver pulled out on him at Haughley bends on the A14.
He didn't die of the relatively minor injuries sustained.
He died from drowning in the ditch he landed in, unconcious.
The ditch had just three inches of water in it.
He died because the driver who pulled out on him had been told not to move him in case it caused further injuries, and being unconcious face down in three inches of water his airway was seriously compromised.
Simply lifting his head clear of the water would have saved him.
Instead the driver watched him die.

The application of common sense would have seen the guy back on his bike in no time. The application of the instruction the driver had been given saw him have no chance whatsoever.
I'd rather not have the same happen to me because of a well meaning sticker.
The choice is totally yours tho.

*yawn*

Sorry AdamA - I'd left this thread open as there was some good chatter going on. You are welcome to your opinion, but I don't care for yet another apocryphal story of doom and gloom. You've clearly not read this thread in the right spirit - or possibly you're just deliberately trolling.

Either way I don't care. Thread closed now.

An apology to Paddy if you were hoping to get a sticker - I've already picked them up and given the reaction of all the AdamA's of this world I just can't be bothered to run this offer again.

Sincere thanks to all who have taken this in the right spirit and I will get the stickers sent out early next week. I've picked them all up but just didn't get a chance to send them out last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom