Thread: Mainz Info

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Mainz Info

Mainz info
    Just think, in 8 days time we'll be having a pint in Mainz, having had a long day in the saddle all the way from Calais, can't wait! If you did not enjoy the last leg from Koblenz to Mainz along the Rhein then speak to me not Bryn, as it was my idea. As I know the Mainz area a little I thought I'd highlight a few things about it which may be useful.

Evening Meal.
    Firstly, as it is our first proper night away I have made a booking at the following restaurant for us. Have not been there, but the restaurant has been recommended by locals as a reasonable place, good food and quite relaxed and used to catering for large groups. We are booked to eat inside but if the weather is good we can be outside.

I've booked for 20:00 but if you think it is too early or late let me know. No obligation on the meal, I've just booked for 20, which can be increased or decreased depending on reaction and takeup, so let me know views. Last year I heard the venue was a bit formal and this seems more suitable for a large biking group.

http://www.proviant-magazin.de/?kontakt_impressum

Where to get last minute Bike/camping stuff
    Mainz has a couple of good bike stores, Polo and Louis, see the links below.
    Just in case you get to Mainz and find have left your panniers behind, then visiting one of these may be the answer... If this really happens, I'll point you at a camping shop and a clothes shop also!

The Louis shop is only about 15 mins walk from the IBIS

http://www.louis.de/

http://www.polo-motorrad.de/

BMW Bike stuff.
    There is no BMW motorbike dealer in Mainz but the nearest one is below in Russelsheim about 15 mins away, if you use the stretch of unlimited autobahn well. It's a nice family firm. Dad opened the shop 30 years ago, Mum sells the clothing and Son No 1 races in the Boxer cup and the other Son works in the workshop.

Full address:-

Motorrad Senger
    BMW Motorrad Vertragshändler
    Eisenstraße 26
    65428 Rüsselsheim

http://www1.bmw.de/de/partner/mr_sen...rad/index.html

Honda Dealer
    Oh and there is also a Honda dealer..... When I lived in Mainz I looked at some of their bikes but somehow having this dealers name on the bike put me off...

http://www.honda-krapp.de/

Handy Supermarket.
    There is also a mini supermarket about 10 mins from the IBIS which is open
    from 08;00 till 22:00, for stocking up on the cornflakes etc. It is in Augustiner Strasse, in the old town so there is a chance of getting there either when we arrive or before heading off on Saturday.

Nightcap.
    One place I'll be visiting before turning in on Friday is the local Irish Pub, for a pint of Dublin Guinness, a bit of craic and a listen to the live music. So you are welcome to join me, but I can also recommend a few proper German bars also if you prefer.

http://www.irish-pub-mainz.de/indexMainz.html

Roll-on Next weekend.

Jim

Just come back from Croatia and if you don't have all the route planned I can recomend the camp site in Senj. Have a great time where ever you go.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images  

07875 304772
    thanks for the info Jim

could you just carry on and do us a few lines and links for all the other places on the route

Sure Bryn, I'm on it!

May not be completed before Christmas though, and I'm not saying which year....

.....By this time next week most of us should be in Dover, yepee!

I'm with you Jim if my old Beemer gets to Mainz.

Good meal, good company and a pint or two of Guiness. There is a God!

Loading my rideing music onto my Garmin as I write.

Jim,gotta do this quick cos swmbo is lookin over me shoulder !!

Its her 52 Birthday on the Friday in Mainz,is there anyway you could contact the Restaurant and order us a Cake or sumink I'll pay obviously.

Sos should have PM'd you !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Escargot View Post
    Jim,gotta do this quick cos swmbo is lookin over me shoulder !!

Its her 52 Birthday on the Friday in Mainz,is there anyway you could contact the Restaurant and order us a Cake or sumink I'll pay obviously.

Sos should have PM'd you !!!!
    You old smoothy Charlie - by doing this you really are raising the bar! The following day is my swmbo 30 b'day. If you sort a cake i'll have to follow suit - i may have to stretch to mid-morning donuts or something

L'Escargot and Stevo, I think you guys are brave advertising your partner's age all over the internet, or maybe I'm just a wimp!

Anyway, PMed you both and I'm sure we can sort something out.

Oh how i envy you guys
    I come originaly from Mainz and what a great place to go to visit
    Right places to go

EAT & DRINK

In the Altstadt(old town) there are a lot of good pubs
    #1 Augustiner Keller Brilliant German Food(Menu available in English)
    #2 Doctor Flotte 3 min walk away form Augustiner keller
    30 sec around the corner from Doctor Flotte is a Kebab place which got the best Doner you ever eaten.Just ask Chad
    Unfortunatly no sound but this is Chad telling me its the best Doner he ever eaten

Another good place is the "Eisgrub Keller" our last brewerie in Mainz.Go there and order a metre of beer
    On Sundays they do a eat as much as you can Brunch but you might have to book

One of the best beergarden is on the rhine river run by the Hyatt Hotel.Brilliant,cheapish beer but a stunning view and you allowed to use the toilets in the 5 star hotel

How long are you guys going to stay as i can come up with lots more stuff

Oh forgot the also got a Hein Gericke in Mainz

07875 304772
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
    How long are you guys going to stay as i can come up with lots more stuff
    Night of the 10th July, and back on 19th July... passing through so not much time

electrically isolated Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Gutenberg museum of print was well worth a visit in Mainz

..if you're into that sort of thing.

They have the Gutenberg bible on display behind security that the crown jewels could only dream of.

Beautiful building in its own right with plenty of machinery on display - some of which we still have running at work (true!)
    -------

The countryside is a soggy sort of place where animals and birds wander about uncooked. Gladys Mitchell

---------

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    You old smoothy Charlie - by doing this you really are raising the bar! The following day is my swmbo 30 b'day. If you sort a cake i'll have to follow suit - i may have to stretch to mid-morning donuts or something
    She doesnt know I've put the age in or anything so if she asks how old do you think she is 40 will do ! I'd like to see the rest of the trip through !!!!!