Quantocks & Exmoor area trails?

The White Rabbit

Reaction score
I am not fishing for info on where to go on specific trails, simply I will probably be down that way a fair bit on the bike and am wondering if trail riding in these areas is something worth looking into more or should I turn my attentions either elsewhere or to different pursuits while there?

Looking at my maps I reckon not a lot or nothing (old RUPPs) on the Quantocks and little on Exmoor would be my feeling. So am I right in thinking it's pretty much a non-trail riding area?

Is there an active TRF group in that area (lapsed member), or are we talking other parts of Somerset more so.

TBH the Quantocks are best avoided as always busy and far too much hassle.

The TRF have claims in on all the old RUPPS but the council have signposted them all as Restricted Byways so all the other byway users assume that you shouldn't be there. People are still using the lanes but it can be a pain finding out what is ok, (and I'm in the TRF!)
Devon CC on the other hand have sorted their lanes and apparently there is lots to ride.

Last time i was laning on Exmoor, had a nice chat with the rangers, and as far as I know all lanes on Exmoor are now classed as Restricted Byways! I have been informed that also applies all of Somerset!!!

I'm sure someone will put us right now.:rob

cheers

The Quantocks are out of bounds now really as all the RUPPS are now restricted byways and there are too many people around.

As for all the other restricted byways, well I carry on riding them and no one seems to care. However depending what bike your on alot of Somersets tracks aren't exactily friendly for the solo GS rider and there are many that you will need a mate to help you get up.

Thanks. Yes, any trails referred to would need to be on the easier end as I would be alone (mostly) on a larger bike.

Maybe a horse would be better :D

Old thread resurrected!

Any change on the Quantocks, esp. the spine byway (ride) along the ridge?

The restricted signs have been sprayed over by Triscombe stone and I saw 2 small groups riding there today. Legal bikes, not the crossers I have seen once or twice.

The Quantocks are still out of bounds and whilst the TRF have appeals in on many many trails in Somerset I can never see them opening up those hills again.

There are still a few good trails around here and one way I have found some is to stop looking only for BOATS on the O/S map and start looking for white roads as well.

A few around here and cross over into Devon and there are quite alot more. If you look at the maps you will see quite a few nice trails to the east and south of Dartmoor. There are also alot in the Torbay area.

I think those restricted signs have been sprayed over by MTB riders as even they have been banned from some tracks on the Quantocks.

Back
Top Bottom