Selling bike to German ....

colesyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm selling my 2002 GS 1150 Adv to a German guy. I'm gutted, but needs must and I cant afford the 10 grand that I need to pay the Danish Government if I am to ride it here in Denmark. So off to buy a cheap VFR 750!

He has asked for the certificate of conformity, I dont have this, any ideas how I might get one for him? Needs it for the TUW I understand.

Also, he's been quotes 400 euros to change the headlights over for the TUW, seems like a lot, anyone know what is involved?

Thanks guys,

Brian:thumb2

The C.O.C is issued free by the importer of the bike - if yours was bought in the UK then you just contact them and they send it out. :thumb2

..........Also, he's been quotes 400 euros to change the headlights over for the TUW, seems like a lot, anyone know what is involved?

Thanks guys,

As a comparison guide, it cost me 180 euros to get the headlight changed on my 650 GS single in order to re-register the bike in France in 2007.
So if your bike has a couple of headlights to change then 400 euros is certainly in the right ballpark.

The German lad can ask BMW Germany while stating the VIN number and they will send him the CoC, no problem.

You seem like a very nice seller, but why should you come up with a CoC for the buyer, and also why do you worry about his costs for changing the light over. 400 is too much, he shall buy one of ebay.de and change it, will be around 150 Euro or so. He is in no rush as he will need to present the bike to the German TÜV anyway prior to getting the German registration plates.

Will he trailer it home or will he use your plates? Its very difficult to get insurance due to the different systems, but that should not be your concern as long as you have a small purchase contract signed by both parties, mentioning time and date of change of ownership of bike as well. The German buyer will need such contract for the registration procedure as well.

Maybe the buyer finds this of any help:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182593

Just noticed you are in Denmark, so I dont know if you are on Danish plates or UK registration. If your lights are UK, I guess you are still on UK plates

Hi all,

I'm selling my 2002 GS 1150 Adv to a German guy. I'm gutted, but needs must and I cant afford the 10 grand that I need to pay the Danish Government if I am to ride it here in Denmark. So off to buy a cheap VFR 750!

So the tax people want 10 grand in import taxes on a 2002 1150GSA, you just confirmed it - I'm straying where I am, as I would guess that I'd have the pay "slightly" more for my 12GSA...... And here I was thinking about moving back to the home country (now and then) :blast

Casper

Registering in Denmark

Did you look into registering the bike with one of the companies in Flensburg (over the border).

There are a number where they register the bike for a fixed period in the summer....up to you and you pay a fixed fee for each riding month & then a reduced amount when it is not on the road. It includes full insurance.

Mate of mine just did it with a Ducati 1098 he bought in UK.

They recon that over 60% of the expensive vehicles in Dk are now doing this.

If you want I can put you in touch with this guy & he can explain all the details.

I paid 42,000 Dkr for the augift on my 97 1100GS in May..... bloody rip off but at least I still have it.

Mike

Flensburg

Hi Mike, no I havent looked into it and didnt know about it. The german did not end up buying the bike becuase his wife wouldnt give him the money for it!

Oh well, at least it looks very clean now in my front drive, even though I still cant ride it.

I'm not sure I follow with the Flensburg thing. Is it legal? As it sounds like the same deal whereby people have registered their bikes in Sweden.

Can you flick on the details to me please I'm very interested, I really never wanted to sell the bike anyway!

Cheers for maybe a silver lining in the cloud!

Brian

Hi Mike, no I havent looked into it and didnt know about it. The german did not end up buying the bike becuase his wife wouldnt give him the money for it!

Oh well, at least it looks very clean now in my front drive, even though I still cant ride it.

I'm not sure I follow with the Flensburg thing. Is it legal? As it sounds like the same deal whereby people have registered their bikes in Sweden.

Can you flick on the details to me please I'm very interested, I really never wanted to sell the bike anyway!

Cheers for maybe a silver lining in the cloud!

Brian

Give me a telephone number (mobile) or email and I will forward the details when I get them....It is perfectly kosher & you are on Danish plates. Been running for a number of years. I will put you in touch with Martin & you can discuss details with him directly.

Mike

Give me a telephone number (mobile) or email and I will forward the details when I get them....It is perfectly kosher & you are on Danish plates. Been running for a number of years. I will put you in touch with Martin & you can discuss details with him directly.

Mike

I've been away too long, this is new to me. But interesting.

Still, only having a bike for part of the year would give way too many abstinences.

Casper

Hi all,

He has asked for the certificate of conformity, I dont have this, any ideas how I might get one for him? Needs it for the TUW I understand.

Also, he's been quotes 400 euros to change the headlights over for the TUW, seems like a lot, anyone know what is involved?

Thanks guys,

Not sure what the difference is between TUV and UK but you can rotate dip beam on the 1150 so it dips to the right.

Dave

Hey Mike, I have an old friend (US-Danish dual citizen) who's just moved back to Denmark after decades in the US and is trying to figure out how to afford a bike there. Could you provide more details? Or I could just connect the two of you to discuss.

Back
Top Bottom