1200RT - Quality issues

Navy Boy

Reaction score
I'm having a few quality issues with my 1200RT (08 model SE which has done some 9700 miles now).

The front discs appear to have warped (The bike's never been anywhere near a track) and the front and rear wheel rims appear to be scratching really easily.

Has anyone else had similar issues either with RTs or similar age GS models?

Not best pleased all in all... :mad:

I'm having a few quality issues with my 1200RT (08 model SE which has done some 9700 miles now).

The front discs appear to have warped (The bike's never been anywhere near a track) and the front and rear wheel rims appear to be scratching really easily.

Has anyone else had similar issues either with RTs or similar age GS models?

Not best pleased all in all... :mad:
My discs were noticeably on the way out by 4000 miles then replaced under warrantee at 8000, they were well sugared by then.

The new discs have around 5000 miles on them, I have a suspicion they are not that good anymore but it’s a bit early to say just yet.

Wheel rims seem ok to me.

RT 1200 Issues

I had an 05 RT from new , but didn't have these issues .
There are also other issues .....

http://www.bmrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2800

Had mine for two years , but didn't have problems with the paint work either - it's a shame having these issues on bikes , especially when they are so expensive in the first place .

The 1200 RT is a fine machine to ride nonetheless .

Due to family circumstances I sold mine , and am now riding an 1100 RT .

Steve

BMW seem to have quality issues in all areas, component, engineering, finish and even dealers, if they don’t get it sorted they will lose sales if they haven’t already.

There are lots more bikes you can spend less money on and get just as much enjoyment :augie

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad that others appear to have had similar issues.

As it stands I still really enjoy my RT. I've just returned from a trip to Scotland on it and had a great time, the bike just loves that kind of trip. I would still buy another if only because CW's are such a good bunch.

However my loyalty is starting to wear just a little thin... :augie

Ebbo, was any reason given for your brakes warping at all? I'm curious as I haven't ridden this one any differently to those before. :(

Ebbo, was any reason given for your brakes warping at all? I'm curious as I haven't ridden this one any differently to those before. :(
Funny you should ask... http://www.ebbo.org/front_brake_fix.php

BMW problems with front discs is nothing new, its been going on years, some bikes seem plagued. BMW’s own reasoning seems reasonable to me, incorrectly machined disc mounts mean the discs don’t run true by just a fraction, depending on how bad it is it eventually causes uneven wear rather than warping as such. Until another ‘better’ theory comes up I’ll go with that. Pity that BMW current fix doesn’t seem as good as a correctly machined disc mounts

I have an 08 1200RT SE. 5000 miles since October come rain, sleet or shine. No problems to date but I will watch discs etc carefuly. have done a trip to France and off to Spain September. Love the bike so far. Find the ESA in Sports mode really livens things up!

Thanks Ebbo

I do find your site most useful - It was that which I used when buying my CalSci screen (Which I'm really happy with by the way).

I'm going to speak to CW's today in relation to the discs and rims. I was thinking about this again yesterday - It's a real pity as the rest of the bike is so good. Even during some spirited cross-country riding in Scotland, when I was keeping up with my K1200s riding buddy, with boxes on I still managed 52 Mpg.

I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Thanks Ebbo

I do find your site most useful - It was that which I used when buying my CalSci screen (Which I'm really happy with by the way).

I'm going to speak to CW's today in relation to the discs and rims. I was thinking about this again yesterday - It's a real pity as the rest of the bike is so good. Even during some spirited cross-country riding in Scotland, when I was keeping up with my K1200s riding buddy, with boxes on I still managed 52 Mpg.

I'll let you know how I get on. :)
Ok, that's good, but personaly I'm going my own way now :thumb

Back
Top Bottom