Swiss Alps Tour: Day 3 - Zermatt to Bellinzona

Magnum

Reaction score
As time is pressing on I thought I'd present the next day of our Swiss Alps Tour :rob

Swiss Alps Tour: Day 3 - Zermatt to Bellinzona

day3.jpg

Distance: Approx 278km/173miles
Approx. Riding Time: Approx 5 Hours 15 Mins
Maximum Altitude: 2,478m
Countries: Switzerland (Cantons Valais, Uri, Graubunden & Ticino)
Route: Zermatt, Visp, Ulrichen, Nufenen Pass, Airolo, St Gotthard Pass, Andermatt, Oberalppass, Disentis/Muster, Lukmanier Pass, Biasca, Bellinzona.

Overview: Simply stunning scenery and plenty 4 mountain passes feature heavily in today's agenda. Just over 5 hours of riding so plenty of time to stop and take piccies. Distance and time is approximate as Google Maps refuses to navigate through the Nufenen Pass (so I drew the route in by hand) :type

Route Summary: The scenery gradually gets more picturesque until we reach Ulrichen at the start of the Nufenen pass where it just gets better. The Nufenen and St Gotthard are fantastic and I had the pleasure of driving them a few weeks ago. Great roads and good surfaces. The Oberalppass east of Andermatt is extremely pretty too. Never ridden the Lukmanier but it fits in well with the day's destination taking us through Biasca to Bellinzona. This is the Italian speaking part of Switzerland so no need to get your Euros out. Bellinzona looks quite an interesting place too and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. No idea of that makes the beer taste better :beerjug:

Chaps, this is my suggestion for Day 3 :rob

Accommodation options will follow shortly :)

nufenen is an lovely pass, may i suggest lunch at visp? there is a small BBQ place at a junction does quite good pork steakes and potato salad.......

nufenen is an lovely pass, may i suggest lunch at visp? there is a small BBQ place at a junction does quite good pork steakes and potato salad.......
Great idea but leaves a lot of riding for the afternoon mate.

Great idea but leaves a lot of riding for the afternoon mate.

Oh yeah a night ride, I'm all les wasselled up like the star ship enterprise.

Yoy with my baa lamb brazillian on his head, gave me nightmares last night.

Oh yeah a night ride, I'm all les wasselled up like the star ship enterprise.

Yoy with my baa lamb brazillian on his head, gave me nightmares last night.
Does anyone know what this means? :nenau

Does anyone know what this means? :nenau

I can shine some light on the 1st bit (see what I did there...............) he has H.I.D. converted his headlight/s and/or spotlights and will be able to see where he is going in darkness rather better than those with ancient oil fired,last century halogen lamps,as to the other bit-who knows.................he borrows his partner's ladyshave :confused:

Right folks I've finally had replies back from hotels in Bellinzona.

I am going to suggest we all stay in the Hotel Unione. It is right in the centre of Bellinzona and is well reviewed. Being in the centre there is no private parking but the public car park is adjacent to the hotel and is free on Sunday through 'til Monday at 9am.

Here is the hotel's offer.

Hotel Unione said:
From September 13 to September 14 (1 night)

2 single room with shower/WC, phone, telephone, television, minibar, radio and air conditioning at the rate of Fr. 160.-- per night and per room, included breakfast-buffet.

1 double room to single use with shower/WC, phone, telephone, television, minibar, radio and air conditioning at the rate of Fr. 180.-- per night and per room, included breakfast-buffet.

8 double room with shower/WC, phone, telephone, television, minibar, radio and air conditioning at the rate of Fr. 240.-- for 2 person, per night and per room, included breakfast-buffet.

City Tax CHF 2.05 per night, per person, are not included.

It's a little more than some might want to pay but I think we've saved money in Zermatt so it should all balance out. It's also in a great position for us to choose where we want to eat at night. I'll take the double room for single use which means the 2 singles are CHF 160 (approx £91) and the double/twin rooms are CHF 240 (approx £137 or £68.50 per person).

This is my suggestion for accommodation on Day 3 :beerjug:

Looks good,please book a twin for Gerry and me :thumb2

Magnum; A question if I may..........Are we staying at different hotels every night-or will there be occasions when we stay in any hotel for more than 1 night? What I'm getting at is-will we need to unpack and re-pack every day?
The answer may have a bearing on how people decide to pack their bags.....

that hotel looks fine to me.

i wouldn't mind staying in the same hotel for more than one night. it would give me the chance to ride without luggage. a nice prospect if you're two up. if that doesn't fit in with your plans, that's ok too :)

Magnum; A question if I may..........Are we staying at different hotels every night-or will there be occasions when we stay in any hotel for more than 1 night? What I'm getting at is-will we need to unpack and re-pack every day?
The answer may have a bearing on how people decide to pack their bags.....
Sorry, should have made this a bit clearer. Yes, the intention is to stay in different hotels every night. It's the only we we can cover enough ground to ride the best regions in the alps. I would encourage everyone to pack as lightly as possible. Most of us usually take far too much stuff :rob

Back
Top Bottom