Reaction score
Here are my proposals for Day 4 of our Swiss Alps Tour :rob

Swiss Alps Tour: Day 4 - Bellinzona to Saint Moritz

day4.jpg

Distance: 250km/156miles
Approx. Riding Time: Approx 5 Hours
Maximum Altitude: 2,443m
Countries: Switzerland (Cantons Ticino & Graubunden) & Italy
Route: Bellinzona, Mesocco, San Bernardino Pass, Splugen, Splugen Pass, Chiavenna, Maloja Pass, Silvaplana, Julier Pass, Tiefencastel, Bergun/Bravuogn, Albula Pass, Saint Moritz.

Overview: No less than 5 glorious mountain passes on today's ride ranging from nice wide sweeping roads to small narrow lanes. Fantastic riding and a great deal of variety. Again plenty of opportunity to stop, drink coffee, take piccies and soak in the views. We spend the night in Saint Moritz, playground of the rich and famous, where Yoy has kindly agreed to buy us as much Champagne as we can drink. What a guy :thumb2

Route Summary: We ride from Bellinzona along the Valle Mesolcina to Mesocco after which the road gets twisty as we climb to and cross the San Bernardino Pass. Down to Splugen and then up the Splugen Pass :-

splgenpass.jpg

Down the other side into Italy (don't forget your Euros), through Chievenna along the Valle Bregaglia back into Switzerland and up the absolutely fabulous Maloja Pass which was one of my favourites from last year. Fantastic surface and plenty of nice twisties ranging from hairpins to sweepers through beautiful woodland :-

maloja.jpg

Then at Silvaplana we take a left and climb up to the Julier Pass and down the other side to Tiefencastel. Then we take the narrow, twisty Albula Pass :-

albula.jpg

Then into Saint Moritz for our free Champagne and a maybe some Caviar :D Failing that we'll have a good meal, a few drinks and no doubt talk lots of crap about the day's riding :clap :101

Chaps, this is my suggestion for Day 4 :beerjug:

Accommodation options will follow shortly :)

The bit from Vicosprano to Splugen looks like it'only got 2 bends in it...:pullface

Bloody hell Mags, that was quick, only just finished tracing the last one onto my map last night. ( I know, sad git!)

Lookin good, well apart from the ropey bridge thingy :eek: did I say I don't like hights. Is it due for repair? is there a weight limit? only it looks like it's drooping abit.

Yet another great day to look forward too. :thumb2

Lookin good, well apart from the ropey bridge thingy :eek: did I say I don't like hights. Is it due for repair? is there a weight limit? only it looks like it's drooping abit.
It's fine for Beemers, but I'm unsure about KTMs. I suggest the orange bikes go first, then they won't take us down with them if it gives way :D :D :D

Here are the accommodation options for our night in Saint Moritz :rob

Option 1 - Languard Hotel :beer:

The Languard Hotel is a 3 star hotel in the centre of St Moritz. It offers simple but affordable accommodation and is well reviewed. Parking will be in the public multi-storey but as stated before security isn't really an issue in Switzerland. Here are the rates per room including breakfast and VAT.

Single room - CHF 90 (approx £52)
Double/twin room - CHF 180 (approx £104)

There are various view upgrades (lake instead of mountain) which I will try and get included for free.

Option 2 - Kempinski Grand Hotel :ChrisKelly

The Kempinski Grand Hotel is a fabulous 5 star hotel 1 mile outside St Moritz but after a day in the saddle I for one would welcome the walk. Failing that then it's a short taxi ride. It has plenty of parking and all the facilities you would expect from a modern 5 star hotel. This is where I'll be resting my head that night :thumb2

Please note these rates are "Early Booker" offers - full room cost payable at time of booking. I am happy to book this on your behalf and we'll square things up on the tour.

Rate per room per night including lavish breakfast buffet, free use of the High Alpine Spa, taxes and service charges is as follows.

Classic Single Room - CHF 257 (approx £147)
Details - 1 Queen bed, Mountain View either overlooking the Hotel Park in the front or with a view to the south side in the back of the hotel, colour combinations ranging from champagne, a warm red/ yellow or to fresh green. All furnishings are made of cherry wood and the lush bathrooms with dark marble wash tables and cream floorings are rounding up the setting. The bathrooms are equipped with under floor heating bath tub and W/C. Some rooms feature a balcony as well as some rooms are available interconnecting. All rooms are including complimentary high speed Internet access, in-room safe, daily turn down service, video-on-demand system, complimentary DVD movie rental (available at the front desk). Maximum occupancy 1 adult. These rooms measure approx. 20 - 25 sq m.

Resort Room (Double/twin) - CHF 302 (approx £173)
Details - 1 King bed or Twin beds, Mountain View either overlooking the Hotel Park in the front or with a view to the south side in the back of the hotel, colour combinations ranging from champagne, a warm red/ yellow or to fresh green. All furnishings are made of cherry wood and the lush bathrooms with dark marble wash tables and cream floorings are rounding up the setting. The bathrooms are equipped with under floor heating, bath tub and W/C. Some rooms feature a balcony as well as some rooms are available interconnecting. All rooms are including complimentary high speed Internet access, in-room safe, daily turn down service, video-on-demand system, complimentary DVD movie rental (available at the front desk). Maximum occupancy is 2 adults. These rooms measure approx. 30 sq m.

There you go chaps. Those that don't post a response here will be booked into the Languard Hotel :)

tempted by the 5*, but a double at the Languard would be fine for this cheapskate :)

2 singles please at the cheap :)pullface) place.

1 for me

and 1 for Bandit

Back
Top Bottom