Has anybody been to Colditz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`ve been, walked round the easily recognisable (from the series) courtyard and rode on. I believe they do tours.

If you`re down there check out the motorcycle museum at Schloss Augustusberg, its 30 miles away and well worth the detour.

N50.81264 E13.10172

Cheers Dave,

Where do I find those co-ordinates on my yellow post it?

Be Very Careful when there..................

I believe it's where BWM send all their dissatisfied Customers...:D

You may not get Out...........;)

CC

:cool:

You could always just go to Stirling Castle - the BBC used it in thier TV series.

Iain

I could have put money on it..........

coolcarbon said:
Be Very Careful when there..................

I believe it's where BWM send all their dissatisfied Customers...:D

You may not get Out...........;)

CC

:cool:

Dave Hall said:
If you`re down there check out the motorcycle museum at Schloss Augustusberg, its 30 miles away and well worth the detour.

N50.81264 E13.10172

For those of use more used to Garmin units, it's:

N50 48.711 E13 06.038

Greg

thesanguine said:
Cheers Dave,

Where do I find those co-ordinates on my yellow post it?

Send me a bit of slate and I`ll chisel you sum directions. I hear theres a loom smashing festival round those parts in the late summer...you might catch it.

I think it's worth visiting. If you want to go inside, you can only do that as part of one of the tours, which if I remember rightly, are every two hours or so. The tunnel entrance under the chapel is just amazing, especially when you think that it was dug by hand, without proper tools, and in secret.

There's also a small museum inside, with many "confiscated" things like hand made maps, forged passports etc.

As Dave Hall mentioned, combine it with a visit to Schloss Augustusberg.

I see that on Friday (9th) BBC2 are showing the Colditz Story (starring John Mills) at 15:55.
Then following that, at 17:30, Behind the wire, a documentary on Colditz.

thesanguine said:
Is it worth going? Do they do organised tours?

Called in on Colditz on the way to the czech rep last year.
They do a guided tour in the mornings(10.30 i think) and last about an hour. Very interesting. The place is constantly being refurbished so access is limited but very good none the less..
The guy who does the tours is german and, completely out of character, has a sense of humour!! :yelrotflm

I used to have the board game by Parker. Buggered if I could work out the rules tho.

Sheeeesh.

I went in 1996 or 7 on the way to the FIM Rally in Czech.

We arrived on a day when it was closed. The village was quite chilling too..... it was the day I filled up with the cheapest unleaded and found it to be about 80 octane and my Yamaha hated it. I was used to two here but there were three levels sold in East Germany!

I went there in August 2002. Did the guided tour with the German guide with the sense of humour. Well worth the visit in my humble opinion.

Bob

Iain Hogg said:
You could always just go to Stirling Castle - the BBC used it in their TV series.

And the dude who played the camp commandant, whose name escapes (groan) me, is .............................. a GS rider!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom