Jordan / Syria / Iran trip

BigCol

Hi all,

I'm in leave in Oct/Nov and wish to travel to the above countries from my home in Dubai. If anyone lives here or has experiences that will help me plan, please contact me.

I would like help with:

a. Local info, places to visit, hotels etc
b. To meet you for a ride/beer/both :)
c. Anything else you can think of

Cheers for your help

Colin

:)

Suggest you contact Kazim from MotorEast Tours in Istanbul as he regularly organises trips there from Turkey. I don't have his e-mail address with me at the moment but you should get his website via Google or through the Turkish One More Mile Bikers Club.

Thanks for the heads up kcain. :)

I've found the site and will contact them.

Kind regards

Colin

Syria

Also recommend Kazim (professional tour guide) and also suggest contacting my brother 'Istanbulian' on this forum. He has travelled to Syria so he may know of a few places of interest.

BigCol said:
Hi all,

I'm in leave in Oct/Nov and wish to travel to the above countries from my home in Dubai. If anyone lives here or has experiences that will help me plan, please contact me.

I would like help with:

a. Local info, places to visit, hotels etc
b. To meet you for a ride/beer/both :)
c. Anything else you can think of

Cheers for your help

Colin

:)

Hi Colin,

Fellow Advrider and Dutchman, Neo, did the trip. He wrote a fantastic trip report with lots of photos:

Syria & Jordan

He should have enough info to last you a life time riding there....

Thanks Adraj; would you send me the contact details of your brother please via PM :) He isn't accepting PM's.

Mike, cheers also. That's a great reference. I'll be emailing him too :)

Hi Colin,
I am new on this forum and just registered. I (temporarily) live in Syria and will try to answer your questions, pse send me a pm.

Dear Basic,

i think you have to subscribe to the site to PM. Anyhow, please forgive my late reply, but I've been flying lots and missed your missive.

I'd be pleased with any reply. You can pm me though.
Regards
Colin

Col

have a look at the UK BMW club. Theres a GSer (R100GS) who lives in Istanbul and published a very fair article on a solo trip to Syria. Dont know his name, but I am sure you can track him down through them. I dont think hes present on UKGSer, but I am not sure.

I´d be up for it, but this year Ive got the Picos twice, the stella alpina and Corsica. If things change I´ll let you know, sounds great!;)

Spanýsh Bob/Big Col,

That was me ! Try me on my e-mail address:

ian.johnson@trakyael.com.tr

and I can help together with Kazým. Look forwrad to seeing you if you come via Istanbul. You may also want to look at the "One More Mile" website for ınfo about Turkey and support through that country.

Great countries to visit.

Fall in Turkey...

Hi Colin,
We spent October of 2002 touring in Turkey, Wonderful Country with great people, and good riding.

It got pretty cold in The North East (Van) toward the end of the month, so you might want to blast up to Istanbul first and then slowly work your way back south.
Cappadoccia and Nemrut Dagi were some of our favorite places, and of course all along the Med. Coast.
Cheers, Peter

Attachments

• a117-tur-nemrut heads.jpg
    a117-tur-nemrut heads.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 251
Big thanks

Hi,

Thank you all that have taken the time to reply.

Spanish Bob: you're always helpful and I really appreicate it. As for coming along - you're more than welcome. The BMW club here are going to Jordan in Oct, so I hope to leave them at the border.

Istanbulian - I've sent you an email.

Cameron: Hopefully Turkey next year. I'll be contacting you..

Cheers all

colin

Oct - Nov in Jordan & Syria; take your thermals. I travelled to Jordan from east coast of Saudi last January and it was colder than I thought it would be. Mainly the wind-chill as off the bike, I was fine. You have to go to Petra and stay at the Marriott. Very swag.
I am off from 17-15 Nov for the Eid holidays and if you are on your way back, and fancy a few days in Kuwait (free visa at the border), let me know. I coud meet you in Saudi as I live on the east coast approx 80 kms south from Kafji in Safaniya.

Worth buying a Garmin GPS as they are cheaper in the ME.

Live long & prosper.:cool:

Thanks Rugged,

The trip is slightly changed - now through Lebanon, Syria, turkey and Iran. Am shipping the bike to Beirut airport and getting the ferry across from Bandar Abbass :)

Cheers for the advice re thermals. I'll need them in Turkey

Regards

colin

Hi Big Col,
What a timely post. A few of us have decided to ride to Petra for our 50th. I'll be watching you progress like a hawk. Have a great time organising things.
HENRY

Back to the drawing board

Well the local BWM Club here are useless (I was plannig to ship my bike to Lebanon with them), so I've gone back to plan A; route via Jordan, Syria, Turkey and Iran.

Cameron: I'm transiting the southern East of Turkey and want to visit Nemrut, Van etc. do you have any suggestioins / contacts etc for this area please?

Henry: When are you going on your trip to Jordan?

Regards

Colin

I did Dubai to London last year with a couple of friends, just seen this thread late so any specific questions let me know. In brief Jordan was fabulous, as was Syria and Turkey. Had to put the bike on a truck from Dubai to Jordan as they wouldn't give me a visa for Saudi because it was getting a bit hot and dangerous. The borders were mainly OK, the only problems occured because my name was not on the Dubai owner's document - not being a Dubai resident a friend 'bought' it for me and I paid her - and this created a lot of hassle. If you've got all the papers and docs and carnet etc, you're OK. If you've cut corners then you will come unstuck. The people were friendly and helpful, only one minor spill and then a long wait for the insurance assessor in Galipoli, other than that, all good.

Have a great time.

Thanks for adding your post andres. Can you help my planning by telling me:

a. Who you used to ship the bikes and their contact details?
b. Where you got your paperwork sorted; was it Dubai or the UK?
c. Where you shipped the bikes to in Jordan and where you collected them?
d. Anything else that can help me e.g accom, route, places to visit etc :)

Much appreciated.

Cheers for now

Colin

Petra, Jordan

Jordan is great. Twisty roads and historical sites. Friends tell me Syria is the place to go as it is very cost effective being outside the western tourist net.
A contact in Amman, Jordan.
George Terblans, Service Manager for the BMW dealer (Ole Automotive), Tel +962 6 582 9 700; Fax, ++6 581 5 506.

Back
Top Bottom