Harz Mountains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tVx29zsk8Q

Been twice - it's this quiet midweek, absolutely awesome roads and Greg is an excellent host.

Rob

personally i prefer better views than this , the scenery was pretty boring imho .cant see the wood for the trees. i like the D500 in black forest thats more open and brilliant fun:thumb

That's a brave sidecar passenger filming that...

Good looking roads though, aiming to be over there in September.

HARZ

Just returned from the Harz a couple of weeks ago. Stayed at Hotel Harmonie Bad Grund. I had originally tried to book Pension Roseneck. However, the owners were returning to the UK for their sons wedding. So Hotel Harnonie it was.

Simon & Elaine are nice people. In the first instance, Hotel Harmonie could do with a bit of soap & water & some TLC. Nothing a bit of hard work wouldn't cure. Put it another way. If I had arrived on spec. I would not have stayed. As I said the owners are nice people.

As for the Harz area itself. Good for about 3 days. Plenty of police about doing speed checks. Jump over to the border to the former DDR if you want to stretch the wires.
The Harz area is not a patch on the likes of Austria. The Harz Region is not really a large area. Still there are some good ride outs. Roads are good & well surfaced The good thing is The Harz is an easy days ride from the port Ijmuiden. Which is a plus if you only want a quick week away with the bike. Once you clear the Holand. Set the Twat Nav options for no motorways & head to the Harz via A roads. Easily doable in a good shift.

The Harz area is not a patch on the likes of Austria. The Harz Region is not really a large area. Still there are some good ride outs. Roads are good & well surfaced The good thing is The Harz is an easy days ride from the port Ijmuiden

The same applies to the Black Forest, reachable from Calais in a day, and a week is plenty of time, you can also reach the enitre region from a centrally located Hotel.

I have yet to sample Austria, last year I did a couple of weeks and rode around the central Alps, mainly Switzerland, this year the French Alpes following route des grande Alpes to the coast and back, and really want to try Austria and Dolomites next.

The problem is the edge of the Alps is a two day ride from most of the UK, I suppose if you live very close to a crossing it may be do-able in a day, but for most of us it is a 4 day return trip so you need at least 8 days to make it worthwhile IMHO.

And then the Alps are bigger than the entire UK and would require about 8 weeks to get around in any depth, which is why I am just going to a few areas in each trip - and still find I am only skimming the surace by breaking them up into several two week trips.

The Vosges is also a day away and may be my destination next year as all I can manage is a long weekend, in some ways smaller can be better as at least you can go somewhere and come back happy you have seen what you wanted to, I still feel the need to re-visit parts of the Alps, after my first week in the Black Forest I was happy I had seen the place.

Not a good advert for the guys hotel

Cant see the mountains for the trees. Where is the fun riding in a tree corridor.

Harz - Hotel HARMONIE 2013

We had 4 weekday nights (special offer) with Peter and Corrine at the Hotel Harmonie, Bad Grund, last month and what a great time we had. We were greeted with the warmest welcome ever, and they couldn't have done more to make us feel at home. They have obviously grafted over the winter months and refurbished this great guest house/hotel to a high standard. The bedrooms are spacious and spotless - 10 double rooms, which also have double bed settees in them, and also 3 apartments. The breakfasts were great - as much as you like and the bar is 'open all hours’. Peter does a fantastic BBQ and Corrine's extras were delicious. They will point you the direction of the best restaurants in the town and, if they can, they may even join you for dinner. The cosy bar in the hotel is a great place to chill and chat, with plenty of space for larger groups too.

Peter will show you the best/bendiest/quietest roads. He has maps and routes at hand and knows all the best places to explore. If he has time, Peter loves to show around himself. We had a brilliant day out with the both of them and another couple to English 'lads' and were shown loads of hidden gems! The Harz are beautiful with loads of interesting places and sites to visit as well. Peter can show you the best cake cafe's too - yum!

Literally - nothing is too much trouble for this lovely couple - from ice creams and camera chargers to boot deodoriser and Spanish brandy! Ask Peter for some of his local tipple -more'ish or what!! We just can't recommend this hotel, and the Harz, enough; we can't wait to go back again! BRILLIANT!!!!

http://biker-hotel-harz.de/en/your-biker-hotel-harz-mountains-germany/

We had 4 weekday nights (special offer) with Peter and Corrine at the Hotel Harmonie, Bad Grund, last month and what a great time we had. We were greeted with the warmest welcome ever, and they couldn't have done more to make us feel at home. They have obviously grafted over the winter months and refurbished this great guest house/hotel to a high standard. The bedrooms are spacious and spotless - 10 double rooms, which also have double bed settees in them, and also 3 apartments. The breakfasts were great - as much as you like and the bar is 'open all hours’. Peter does a fantastic BBQ and Corrine's extras were delicious. They will point you the direction of the best restaurants in the town and, if they can, they may even join you for dinner. The cosy bar in the hotel is a great place to chill and chat, with plenty of space for larger groups too.

Peter will show you the best/bendiest/quietest roads. He has maps and routes at hand and knows all the best places to explore. If he has time, Peter loves to show around himself. We had a brilliant day out with the both of them and another couple to English 'lads' and were shown loads of hidden gems! The Harz are beautiful with loads of interesting places and sites to visit as well. Peter can show you the best cake cafe's too - yum!

Literally - nothing is too much trouble for this lovely couple - from ice creams and camera chargers to boot deodoriser and Spanish brandy! Ask Peter for some of his local tipple -more'ish or what!! We just can't recommend this hotel, and the Harz, enough; we can't wait to go back again! BRILLIANT!!!!

http://biker-hotel-harz.de/en/your-biker-hotel-harz-mountains-germany/
sounds like you enjoyed yourself :thumb

Back
Top Bottom