Carrying engine oil

How does that work? Mick

Same as it works on any vehicle fitted with an oil breather filter :rolleyes: It's fitted inline into the breather tube. So nothing is changed to the working of the system.

Wanting to carry spare oil and / or fuel on my 1100, I decided to use the spare space inboard of my right hand Vern pannier but I didn't want to drill holes in Vern's finest handiwork. So, I fabricated a separate mounting plate which carries two 1 litre 'Fuel Friend' canisters and which mounts using the existing pannier mounting fasteners.

sa6yra5y.jpg

eza6a3yz.jpg

8u9yrumy.jpg

I made a cardboard version first, then cut it out of 2mm aluminium. The hardest bit was the bending. Not having a sheet metal folding brake, I had to get creative with scrap steel, G clamps and a dead blow hammer.

Look at my lid......

I got one of those nippy norman bottles that fit in the carbon canister space that adventure models have from 2008 on..
But i binned it as the screw top rubs against the frame and cuts it open with vibes.. so picked up a copy of sigg bottle for £7.00 500ml..at cotswolds lots better and cheaper than NN bottle..
If you crash and have a fracture, and oil leeks out that 500 ml could get you to help....you just don't know what can happen out on the road..
If you use it once...blalala you know the rest.:blagblah

Thought I'd swop my bottle onto new bike.... Never used it... But hey thought I might need to one day.....look at the state of my lid.....:mad:

image.jpg

Yes, they all do that. The thread on the bottle is longer than the thread on the lid or something like that. Nippy Normans gave me a replacement lid when I contacted them.

Whenever I've been on long trips (4-5 weeks) I've always topped up the oil at half distance...it's maintain emcee after all.

I always have clothes in one pannier, a mixture of emergency items/tools/locks/maps/guides etc in the other.....in there I carry a sealed, new bottle of oil, in the canister it came in, wrapped in two bags. If it's wedged in nicely it's not going anywhere!

:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom