Suggestions for bike for green laning?

Andy_E

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Think this is the best forum for this question but mods please move if it's not.

Having demonstrated how well a GS crashes offroad on too many occasions due to my ambition exceeding my ability I'm looking for something lighter/cheaper to get some good offroad experience.

As it's going to be a toy for occasional use the budget is limited, probably around £1000, so I'm looking for suggestions for possible bikes. Would need to be road legal or easily registered as road legal. Don't mind something that would need a little work to get up to scratch but I'm no mechanical genius.

I don't know much about what would be a reasonable candidate, so far DRZ400s and TTR250s spring to mind but I doubt I'll find a DRZ for what I want to pay.

I presume electric start would be a good idea thus ruling out DR350's and the like?

Would a 600 (e.g. XT600 or KLR650) be too big?

Any thoughts?:nenau

Hey Andy, Thanks for the ride out. I'd say go light. It's far too easy to 'over-bike' yourself off road. Look at 250 4T up to 400, and don't rule a bike out just because it doesn't have an electric foot. Any of the DR's are worth a look, they're good, solid bikes.

A good, little bike that you can boss about is better than a good big bike that you have to lug about any day.:thumb2

mate... crm250... enough said

They are bombproof, rapid, light.... and cheap

Get a mk2 for around 600 quid.

you should be able to get a reasonable KDX200 for under a grand. maybe a GASGAS 250 ec or even a 300 as well. The late dr350's had an electric start i believe. If you could stretch to 2k then this will give you alot more options.

My first green laner bike was a 2001 DRZ 400S model. In fact I sold it three months ago for £1000 with a years MOT. Looked a bit shabby but it was used for learning how to ride off-road. They are out there for this price - you just need to haggle.

Hi Andy, thanks again for organising and leading the ride out, is this the place to say cant waite for the next one?

Anyway, on to the matter at hand, I chose the KLX 650 for a couple of reasons, price, off road use and a bit of ooomph on road.

As im the correct size for a "tosser":augie I felt that I might need a bit of poke from the engine whilst on the road, however every thing the KLX does, my mates DRZ does and better fuel economy to boot.

a big thumbs up for the DRZ, and in your price range.

the leccy start was important to me but, as i think has been mentioned earlier dont discount kick starts:rob you saw KDM flying around those trails:clap as i we all did. Ive not had a 250 so cant comment but KDM did ok:thumb

my 2peneth:nenau

Richie:beerjug:

DR350, TTR250, KLX250/300 all around a grand.
Perfect for the trails in your area.
Anyhting over 450cc is usually too much weight/power and totally useless in the depths of the likes of Wales.
Many ride run leaders won't be keen on taking you out with a 650cc thumper.

Timpo.

Thanks all for the contributions, now watching a few bikes on Ebay to gauge prices then looking to pick something up late August :thumb2

I have a husaberg FS650e if you are interested. It will teach you a thing or two on the lanes.

id go for a DR 350 and they made electic start ones too. the last 2/3 years of selling were electic start 98/99 models and youd just get one for £1k:thumb
or any model XR600? very good bike if your big enough:D

Back
Top Bottom