Goggles on the road

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just bought another pair of Scott goggles to wear with both my Tour X and my Shoei Hornet, I'm wondering about just how much eye protection they provide for road use. The brochure says that the lenses will withstand an impact from a 6 mm steel ball travelling at 45 m/s which is near as dammit 100 mph. The worst I've ever had was a serious bug splat on the lens.

So, how many folks wear Moto X goggles for road use and have you have ever suffered an injury because they don't provide the same protection as a visor?

The worst I've ever had was a serious bug splat on the lens.

Most of the time on my GS I wear a BMW Enduro helmet with the visor up, maybe I should have a rethink :rob

I had a serious shite splat once :eek:

Attachments

• PICT0004_2.jpg
    PICT0004_2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 324
Have used goggles for 20+ years with no problems, now use goggles but leave the visor on my Tour X3 so I can quickly change to clear if needed.

Danny

Attachments

• DSCF4292.jpg
    DSCF4292.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 318
Have used Pro-Grip goggles and a MX lid for a good few thousand miles without serious problems. I much prefer a visor in rain though.
Best solution I found was a "Foggy" mask cut down to fit in the chinguard to offer a bit more protection to the exposed bits of cheek.
Have been hit in the goggles by fairly large chunks of Wales whilst trying to pass people in competitions with no ill effect.
Mark

Best solution I found was a "Foggy" mask cut down to fit in the chinguard to offer a bit more protection to the exposed bits of cheek.

Yes I know what you mean. I've got those bits covered. My Tour X has the Arai nose guard fitted and the Hornet is fitted with an Arai Race Breathguard which means that there are no exposed bits of flesh. It's amazing how much a 100 mph insect strike can hurt.

I was thinking more of the impact resistance of the goggle lenses themselves.

I was thinking more of the impact resistance of the goggle lenses themselves.

Almost certainly stronger than a visor :nenau

I'd guess it wouldn't be too hard to look up the CE specifications of the relevant visor certification requirements and compare to the figures you already know about the goggles?

Gut feeling says goggles are stronger :cool:

Gut feeling says goggles are stronger :cool:

I'm reminded of a story told to me by my friend Robb who is actually registered on here. When he headed up the Global Motorcycle Division of a multi national oil company, he prototyped some new clothing. During clinics, the majority of motorcyclists felt that hard shell armour would be more protective than soft armour, when in fact......

The same would appear to be true for the relative merits of goggles and visors. Whereas my Scott goggles lenses are tested to DIN EN 1938 (v.12/98) which specifies impact resistance to a 6 mm steel ball travelling at 45 m/s or c. 100 mph, the Makrolon material from which helmet visors are made will withstand impacts from similar steel balls travelling in excess of 250 mph.

http://www.omnexus.com/sds/safety-marterial-polycarbonate/index.aspx

This would suggest that the relative safety margins are different by a factor of 2.5 However, what I'm curious about is the potential risk which this may cause in real life situations.

This would suggest that the relative safety margins are different by a factor of 2.5

Or more like a factor of 6.25 in respect of the amount of energy that a visor will withstand cf a goggles lens, since kinetic energy is product of the square of speed, ie 1/2mv^2

The slightly exposed bits sting like feck in rain at motorway speed..
Arai nose guard still leaves a bit exposed... loose chippings...bloody nose.
peripheral vision is noticably reduced (Tour X is panoramic in comparison)

This would suggest that the relative safety margins are different by a factor of 2.5 .

Factor of 2.5 squared.. Edit... you got there before me..

I use ProGrip doubleglazed goggles with my Tour X in rain. With the noseguard I don't have any bits exposed. I agree with Fanum and think they are stronger than a visor but as has been mentioned peripheral vision is considerably reduced .

i bet massa was glad he wasn't wearing goggles when that 5lb spring hit him in the face at 150mph

I mix and match between Scott goggles with MX lid and full face helmet.
Have used goggles for years and yet to have a problem, or even have heard of a problem.
It does sting a bit in the rain with the goggles and MX lid combination but have never been aware of a difference in peripheral vision between this and full face lid.

I mix and match between Scott goggles with MX lid and full face helmet.
Have used goggles for years and yet to have a problem, or even have heard of a problem.
It does sting a bit in the rain with the goggles and MX lid combination but have never been aware of a difference in peripheral vision between this and full face lid.

If you look at Schtums original post he refers to using goggles with a Tour X or a Shoei Hornet, with either of these he will experience a large reduction in peripheral vision when using goggles.

I agree with Fanum and think they are stronger than a visor but as has been mentioned peripheral vision is considerably reduced .

You can agree all you like but you're wrong. If you read what I posted in terms of the impact resistance of a goggles lens vs. a visor, you'll see that.

If you look at Schtums original post he refers to using goggles with a Tour X or a Shoei Hornet, with either of these he will experience a large reduction in peripheral vision when using goggles.

My helmet is a Lazer, don't know the model.
Maybe I get better peripheral vision with that.
But I don't actually know, in fact I've no idea at all if the truth be known.
*edit* and if you've got really good eyesight, or have the slightest interest, the Lazer helmet is in my avatar.

I went from goggles to a visored off road helmet partly because of the enhanced field of vision, but mostly because of how much heavy rain stings the exposed parts of the face. But I see you have that aspect covered, from your comments above.

My own view is that MX'ers and off roaders have been getting 'roosted' since the sport began, and I'm not aware of there being a problem with goggles breaking as a result. My own goggles used to get changed because of scratches from cleaning more often than not.

You can agree all you like but you're wrong. If you read what I posted in terms of the impact resistance of a goggles lens vs. a visor, you'll see that.

Depends on how they tested them though, doesn't it....as you said yourself....'In the real world'.

If they had (for example) taken a square foot of visor material and a square foot of goggle material and fired the same ball bearing at each at the same velocity, the visor should be stronger instinctively (it's considerably thicker)

A visor though has a significantly larger surface area surrounded by the outside lip of the aperture it fits into compared to that of a pair of goggles.

The frame of a pair of goggles also mounts the visor in a fairly flexible way (ie its like it has shock absorbers) whereas a visor is effectively rigid mounted.

If these factors weren't taken into account when they were tested, it could make a big difference to the 'real world' performance of both.

A lot of goggles have two layers as well.....how is that handled in these tests?
:nenau

EDIT.....Just seen KMD's post;
My own view is that MX'ers and off roaders have been getting 'roosted' since the sport began, and I'm not aware of there being a problem with goggles breaking as a result. My own goggles used to get changed because of scratches from cleaning more often than not.

Very true, and I've never seen a pair of goggles holed either

I've have though seen a 'normal' helmet visor cracked from the top to the bottom, effectively making two halves attached by the outer pivot points........that wouldn't have withstood another stone strike (which you can often get when being roostered on isolated rocky pistes)

Don`t forget that for legal road use the goggle lens must be marked with the approporiate BSI standard as per full face helmet visors.

There`s very few actual road legal ones out there.

Not that it`s ever stopped my use of Scott Hologram lenses,of course. :augie

Back
Top Bottom