Triumph owners on here

Don't think you did ...

.. you forgot the 99% of 1100/1150GS owners who buy them to be Elitist. :augie

Think you'll find most 1100/1150 owners on here have had them since before the 1200 went on sale. I've had mine since before MacGregor/Boorman made them popular.

Just got a 1100, not be be elitist, but after much questioning of GS owners at IoM, and the "National-Mencap" rallye (where I was at a checkpoint and asked all the GS riders, who made up well over 50% of the participants), it was the one I was recommended to get.

I have had my 955i for 3 years, and it has taken me around Europe, Alaska, Yukon and down to the US southern States. I really love my Tiger, but wanted something different, and lucky enough to have aswell as rather than instead of. So have been riding my GS for a couple of weeks and it's great. It is not anywhere as fast as the 955i, but does handle superbly and is a real gem to ride. I will be going away at the end of the month and will take the Tiger so by that time I can make a real comparison, but I guess I will just keep them and enjoy them. Had Triumph made something that is a development of the Tiger 955i, and not a mock Fazer, then I may not have got the 1100......And if I had enough faith in the modern technology of the 1200 GS then maybe that would be the choice.

Attachments

• IMG_2827a.jpg
    IMG_2827a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 130
  • !BWqHOH!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(F82BKYgkErUI!~~_35.jpg
    !BWqHOH!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(F82BKYgkErUI!~~_35.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 137
Looks like a well used Tiger :thumb2
Your a lucky sod being able to have both the GS and the Tiger, in saying that U have the R1100GS and a ZZR1100 when I feel the need for a bit of woosh !

OK guys, whilst we're talking about Triumphs some thoughts please.

BIKE magazine did an article a year or two back (After their long-term Tiger lunched its engine due to lack of oil) about oil usage mentioning that 1 litre per 1000 miles was the industry standard. It went on to say that this standard dated back to 1977 and suggested that it was somewhat out of date.

What are others' thoughts/experiences with their Triumphs (Primarily triple-cylinder models) as regards oil usage?

OK guys, whilst we're talking about Triumphs some thoughts please.

BIKE magazine did an article a year or two back (After their long-term Tiger lunched its engine due to lack of oil) about oil usage mentioning that 1 litre per 1000 miles was the industry standard. It went on to say that this standard dated back to 1977 and suggested that it was somewhat out of date.

What are others' thoughts/experiences with their Triumphs (Primarily triple-cylinder models) as regards oil usage?

Barely have to top my (955i) Tiger up between services. Certainly not even a fraction of 1l per 1000 miles - I don't keep accurate records but I'd be very surprised if I've put even 500ml in the last 6000 miles. Took a bit of getting used to after the BM's - thought I was checking it wrong at first! Worth mentioning that from what I've read it can vary a bit though with the triples - maybe they are sensitive to running in procedure.

Indeed, that's what I've heard too.

My Street Triple hardly used any oil during my time with it but I've heard that the 675 Daytonas can be partial to a drop.

I'm currently running my Daytona in and thus far it hasn't used any oil.

Interestingly I've asked about oil usage rates and running-in procedure on the triumph 675.net forum and got a bunch of abusive posts back for my trouble!

Seems they don't need a new Daytona rider asking too many questions?

:(

Good to see your experiences with your Tiger have been positive.

Thanks!

mates just bought a 955 2003 tiger.

Had a go on it and was impressed with the engine and seat.
Handling was a bit vague, but not awful, rear shock was a bit underdamped, h'bars were horrendous.

He's looking for a manual - anyone got one for sale ?

Indeed, that's what I've heard too.

My Street Triple hardly used any oil during my time with it but I've heard that the 675 Daytonas can be partial to a drop.

I'm currently running my Daytona in and thus far it hasn't used any oil.

Interestingly I've asked about oil usage rates and running-in procedure on the triumph 675.net forum and got a bunch of abusive posts back for my trouble!

Seems they don't need a new Daytona rider asking too many questions?

:(

Good to see your experiences with your Tiger have been positive.

Thanks!

Sounds like that forum is run by the same guys who run Triumphrat.net:augie

Same here Sergeant Pluck my 955i (2005 model) hardly uses a drop of oil. I have heard though that some of them do like to drink oil! My K1200GT used a fair bit and always looked like a diesel everytime I started it after being on the sidestand!!

Motomartin I am sure you will not be disappointed with the performance of your Tiger, the one thing I found I had to watch was when braking hard they do 'dip' down a fair old bit compared to the BM (I had a K 1200 gt before the Tiger). I picked up a manual on fleabay on CD for very little money!

It is a real shame that, IMO, none of the Triumph forums come anywhere close to being as good as this one. If only Ewan and Charley had used the 955i for the LWR :D

mates just bought a 955 2003 tiger.

Had a go on it and was impressed with the engine and seat.
Handling was a bit vague, but not awful, rear shock was a bit underdamped, h'bars were horrendous.

He's looking for a manual - anyone got one for sale ?

If it's an '03 Tiger he should be able to pick up the manual on eBay very cheap. I've got an '07 manual in storage somewhere if gets stuck.

Suspension is the Tiger's achilles heel I reckon. My '07 has the revised geometry and uprated and stiffer sus but it's still not as good as I'd like it to be. No easy fix either unfortunately - no off-the-shelf rear replacement and the front would need cartridge emulators to really sort it out. I'm still pondering if it's worth the time and trouble.

H'bars: I put risers on mine as soon as I got I got it - big improvement.

Pluck

With reference to buying bikes for their looks.

I certainly was swayed by the appearance of my Scrambler........
And it just so happens that the handling,comfort and real world performance is aplenty for me too. :thumb2

mudguard4.jpg

Triple Tone

Have a 955i Sprint RS superb engine, less so front forks, oil usage nil, eats batteries this could be the alarm system ???. Tweeking open the throttle feeling the power & hearing the induction roar is quite addictive, nothing like a BMW, if it was why would I need one, as usual lot of opinions not founded in fact but heresay.

Thanks all for the helpful anecdotes.

As I said my Daytona 675 has thus far not used any though it's only doen some 110 miles. :D

I do think that perhaps too much has been made of this issue with regards to Triumphs triple engines over the years. As you say that induction roar/wail/howl (I still haven't quite found the right word for it...) is simply brilliant.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom