Barrie Robson (York) - Dealer NOT

Deleted account Cooperman

Reaction score
I'm just reflecting on an extremely poor experience, not just from the dealer ship, but from the main man himself! Mr Robson (BR) does not tell the truth.

I've just been in for a 6K service. I would have gone to the dealer where the bike was purchased but due to other circumstances they are booked up.

My local dealer however is cheaper for this service and although BR initially quoted me a higher figure I mentioned the cheaper quote and he agreed to do it for the lower figure. Here's my mistake. I didn't get written confirmation or check this before letting go of the bike this morning.

Got back to the dealer this afternoon and the counter assistant gives me a bill for the higher figure. I query this, he checks the book and finds that I actually booked in in with BR himself, but he's not around and will be at least half an hour.

After some pointless fencing the assistant agrees to ring BR and disappears into the car park out of my earshot. He returns to tell me that BR remembers me quoting the lower price but he never agreed to it.

I ask for BR's mobile, but apparantly it's not safe to ring somebody in the car. I have no option but to wait for BR's return. Then the assistant returns with phone in hand with BR on the other end. We have a brief discussion where he states that he remembers our 2 conversations (we only had one) and he never agreed to the lower price. Realising I'm in a dead end I'm not complimentary about his dealership. Bearing in mind I'm talking to the 'main man' his response was not along the lines of:

'apologies for the misunderstanding but we clealy have differing recollections of events and I stand by my version'

.....but more along the lines of:

'I can do without customers like you' - expletives removed.

As a dealer he makes deals, and keeping them to maintains any reputation.

Don't touch this place with a barge pole, or if you have to, make sure you have everything confirmed in writing.

It's not as though the sum involved was that large - it's the fact that somebody is prepared to put is own business reputation before the truth.

I have had a bad experience with this dealership myself...no money issues just plain bad manners, very poor attitude and not a place I would step into even if they were giving bikes away IMHO :augie

I have to say that some of my experiences there have also been less than helpful when dealing with the boss himself. Breaking through the crusty exterior does take a while, when comparing him to people like Shaun Thomas they are chalk and cheese.

Kevin there is a lot easier/more human to deal with.

I have to say if it wasn't that my preferred dealer was another hour south west I would probably give them a miss also.

I'm sorry you had a poor experience, but there should be no need for excuses, he should just keep his word.Goodwill in business is hard to achieve, and sadly word of poor service like you had travels a lot faster.

I'm sure there are many happy customers using the dealership, myself included up to a point.

From where I live....BR, 45 minutes......Allen Jefferies, 1 hour and 45 minutes....

After one vist to BR, I always visited Jefferies......

I,m amazed there still trading to be honest.....ferking pig ignorant.....my closest dealer....but go to Jeffries or Southport :thumb2

i dont touch him, he,s up his own arse, iv got a few of his costomers that come to me for a service now

I too had a bad experience with BR's when I was looking to buy my GSA last year.
In my experience the "main man" is an ignorant miserable git and I'm amazed anybody uses him.
Contrast his shit attitude with the vast majority of the staff at Jeffries who know the meaning of customer service/goodwill and its even more amazing he's still in buisness.
Its a shame as well as York is a lot handier for me to get to but there's no way BR's would get a penny out of me.

I tend to go there for convenience if there's no saving in going any further (BR's about 5 miles from home) and agree he's somewhat surly to say the least, but the other staff are better. Had my 6k service done last week and cost was within a few quid of Jeffries quote so not worth the hassle (for me) of going over to Shipley.

Wouldn't be my first choice for a pleasant retail experience though :eek

Me too, ignorant bastard, wouldn't go if bikes were free. He is a fecking nob !

Jefferies for me all day long !!

ORCA

shite attitude

My wife and i went in to BR,s in 1994 to test ride a k1100 rs, on arrival sign this disclaimer if you drop it you pay first £800, and no your wife cant go with you.ok whats my year old harley worth part ex? harleys are crap dont rate em.fine me and the wife are off shopping.just got through the door and br,s on the phone!! it appears i was a little unfair about your harley and its worth what you said. you can have the turquoise rs in the showroom with discount.hurray thinks me.then what the feks going on. phone rainbow and the answer is its abs 1 and old stock plus a gay colour nobody buys. shaun says i,ll flog youa k with abs 2 any colour you want for the same price.
needless to say ive bought2 new bikes from rainbow ,and 1 from jeffries. it double the miles to rotherham and shipley but well worth it.sorry its a long tale buts its taken 15 yrs to get that of my chest:rob

There seems to be a common theme developing here...................:augie

How do they stay in buisness, perhaps BR is a lord who owns the 'shed' he runs his dealership from and just likes to ignore the peasants whom come to him looking for service

I wonder how BMW monitor the service given by their bike dealerships?

Whenever I take a car in to a dealer I always get some follow up asking 'how was it for you sir?'

I wonder how BMW monitor the service given by their bike dealerships?

Whenever I take a car in to a dealer I always get some follow up asking 'how was it for you sir?'

I don't think the car and bike division work in the same way (courtesy calling or postal questionnaires, I've certainly never had anything) so unless this thread is somehow pointed out to the bike people at head office :type I don't think it will get back to them.

Went in this afternoon and he's still the same..................miserable as f...k

Empty dealership......................like tumbleweed city

I Just sent them this:

You have sent Barrie Robson Motorcycles the following message:

After a very sore experience at your delerarship friday i decided to look at any feedback. I was passing the dealership on my way south from a trip of John O Groats. My friends bike was purchased from the same dealership. The woman behind the the desk was very helpful, gave us information about several bikes and a coffee. Then an older man came in. This man was very rude, talking to us as if we knew nothing of the brand. I felt vey put off about the dealership and this person, who turns out to be the franchise owner Barrie Robson. I left the dealership feeling upset by my experience. Then reading this : http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197953 How possibly can anyone run a company that way. No wonder it was empty. Why cant he see, or anyone that that works for him tell him bluntly he is BAD for his buisness. He, over time has got above himself, believing he is better than his customers, talking to then as if they are worthless. This Barrie Robson is a very poor example of a franchise owner. Letting his dealership, BMW group and his staff down. Someone take over and get him out so it can thrive. I really hope Barrie reads this. He must be aware of the bad feedback his dealership gets. So, come on BMW sort out underperforming franchises. It made me smile when reading the bad feedback. As i left feeling bad, but now know it WAS all Barrie Robson and his bad attictude. I dont expect any reply, although that would be nice. But Barrie, Please go and do something else where you do not have to deal face to face with customers that want to part with their hard earned cash. Or retire. Thank you for your time. I feel sorry for the staff especially the nice girl behind the desk that has to work for such a Dullard. Very Best regards. Nigel Collinson.

I did take this issue up directly with BMW UK.

After an exchange of emails they confirmed that they no not undertake customer surveys from their franchised dealers.

Also as it is a franchise they are not able to directly do anything, but were intending to write to BR (2 months ago now, and not heard back).

I guess as long as BR is paying his franchise fees BMW are not that interested? What would McDonalds do if one of their franchises started putting sh*t in the Big Macs :confused:

So we keep on voting with our feet and let others know to stay clear of BR.

Incidently I noticed in one of the bike mags this month they had a survey on best bike dealers. Guess who was missing :augie

I first bought a bike from Barrie about 20yrs ago,he was at the other side of York then,was it called Layburn?
It was a very pleasant experience and the after sales was good.
I bought another bike from him about 12yrs ago and another about 9yrs ago.
I have to say that each time i purchased the experience was less pleasurable.
Joanne and i called in last year on the way back from a holiday in the dales as we were considering a new bike.
I can only say that he made us feel as though he was doing us a favour by graceing us with his presence.
He also was not interested in discussing the purchase of a new bike and thats with someone who has bought 3 bikes from him.
Last week we visited Rainbow in Rotherham and placed our order for a new 1200 yesterday.
Now that is what the experience of buying a new bike should be like and many thanks to Shaun and Ian,even Joanne enjoyed it and she don't like spending money.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom