Adjusting paralever bearings

yup after taking aboard steptoe's sage wisdom ive not used any thread lock either the lock nut does a pretty good job:thumb2

im supprised just how much better the bike feels after adjusting them:D

Anything drastic happen if you over-tighten the inner-inner (IYSWIM) one?

I was half way through taking it all the way out (haynes) when I searched for this thread - as it was tough coming out, after finding this I wound it back in, but there wasn't anyway to feel for how tight to wind it as it took some turning to just get it in.

I wound it in till play had gone, then tighten lock nut, play came back, I guess lock nut might pull it back a bit??? :nenau, anyway loosened and tightened inner one again, tightened lock nut ok. I hope.

Anything drastic happen if you over-tighten the inner-inner (IYSWIM) one?

I was half way through taking it all the way out (haynes) when I searched for this thread - as it was tough coming out, after finding this I wound it back in, but there wasn't anyway to feel for how tight to wind it as it took some turning to just get it in.

I wound it in till play had gone, then tighten lock nut, play came back, I guess lock nut might pull it back a bit??? :nenau, anyway loosened and tightened inner one again, tightened lock nut ok. I hope.

It'll be tight because it's gunged up with loctite that sets like concrete. To get some 'feel' you need to remove the adjustable pinion, carefully clean it, the locknut and the swingarm threads so that all the old loctitte has been removed (needs acetone and patience).

If you overtighten, I guess you could bu**er the paralever bearing fairly quickly, although I'm not sure how critical it is (the factory torque is a tiny 8 Nm but a lot of people on here just do it by feel).

Back
Top Bottom