Bad news for us hankie packers...

Joybringer

Reaction score
...having spent the last week or so debating and deciding on the colour, fabric, and quantity of hankies to take on the trip, I found that there is an exclusion clause within the Maastricht Treaty of 1992 that expressly forbids the conveyance or transfer, permanent or temporary, of UK-origin hankies within EU countries.

The size and design are discussed in some detail, but those in 70%cotton/30% Polyester mix, with a blue chequered design, and a size of 30cmx30cm, are the most likely to cause an issue, and are specifically highlighted in 4 paragraphs and 3 sub-sections of the relevant Chapter within the Treaty.

Whilst I appreciate that Switzerland is not (yet) a member state of the European Union, Directive 5 of the Treaty of Accession 2005 explicitly cites the transportation of hankies within its territory as being forbidden, with maximum fines of €1,000 per hankie transported.

I don't know about you guys, but it's just not worth it.

I suggest we all chip-in for a box of Man-size Kleenex.

Well I suppose it's an option that we share a box of kleenex, but then we get into the debate about who carries said box and for how long?

As we are unlikely to be travelling in one group, this then raises the issue ( or is that tissue) of availability. Sods law dictates that who ever requires a tissue will not be travelling with the person carrying them.

I propose we either :

1, Divide the box equally on the first night in Vevey. ( Any spare can be held in reserve for emergencies)

2, Instead of buying a box we take individual packets.

Or

3, Use your sleeve!

OK. I hear what you're saying, but if we go for individual packets, will we get the same absorbency features of Man-size Kleenex, and should we go for the lanolin impregnated sort?

I'm ok with sleeeves, in an emergency, but should we agree a standard on left or right sleeve? And would the buttons hurt? I could get a note from my Mum, giving me exemption from sleeve-wiping, as I know she frowns upon it, but what would one do in an emergency snuffles situation?

This subject is nothing to be sneezed at.

I think I'll prepare a questionnaire.

These important questions cannot be rushed, nor should they be treated as trivial issues. At least we'll have an idea of trip participants' feelings before we discuss the matter in depth. Then we will draw up a set of proposals with explanatory notes.

These important questions cannot be rushed, nor should they be treated as trivial issues. At least we'll have an idea of trip participants' feelings before we discuss the matter in depth. Then we will draw up a set of proposals with explanatory notes.

Can I choose the pencil colour to take notes?

You're getting your knickers in a twist over nothing.

The treaty of 1992 you quote has been modified. Peter Mandelson saw to that when he was the EU Commissioner for Trade.

Apparently Peter always has a light blue one on him. Often seen sporting a plain white one when in Strasbourg and a black one when in Berlin.

Of course, now he's back in Westminster he's primarily sporting a red one.

You're getting your knickers in a twist over nothing.

The treaty of 1992 you quote has been modified. Peter Mandelson saw to that when he was the EU Commissioner for Trade.

Apparently Peter always has a light blue one on him. Often seen sporting a plain white one when in Strasbourg and a black one when in Berlin.

Of course, now he's back in Westminster he's primarily sporting a red one.

Now that is just not cricket. Those darned Belgies, and that darned Mendelssohn fella. Never did like his Overture to Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer night's dream'. Thought it was dire.

Although it has to be said; by far his best work, was most certainly his opera, Die Hochzeit des Camacho. I truly believe that it was his close friendship with piano virtuoso Ignaz Moscheles, that really brought the best out of him.

As for his sister, Fanny Mendelssohn, well, what can I say.

I shall be sending stern letter to Mr Brown, telling him that large noses run in our family, and we must seek approval for more hankies, or we could see ourselves in an international situation that woulds not be funny.

I feel a Referendum coming on :JB

We will be in the Alps same time as you folk, if perchance our paths cross, I was hoping you could give us some guidance on a suitable greeting, seems to me I have several options.

1/ nod head (not sure to which side though).
2/ European style foot waving.( as above ).
3/ wildly wave suitably coloured hankies. (colour TBA).

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom