Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Metal around Mongolia and Central Asia

Wasn't just us then, sounds like Russia is still a joyous place to travel Excellent work lads - can't wait for the rest Tim - bring it on

Pluck
    R1150GS | R100/7

Thumbs up

amazin stuff,i rode behind you on the tipp road run,i seen the map on the case.utmost respect.............

The road grime was quickly building up on the bikes, wearing brake pads and more so we found a place to get them washed at an overnight truck stop

Motorcycles, Russian style

But if your paperworks not in order it'll end up here in the police compound (calling Tarka).

We ask the way from this guy, note his axe on the bike

It seems the way ahead is blocked, we'll have to turn back but he's heading into the woods.

Off he goes to who knows where, a great encounter.
    KEA

Heading deeper into Siberia the road begin to become more variable.

Often turning to dirt.

Sometimes concrete sections.

This is the main road east.

At last the riding becomes more interesting at times

We meet a local bike enthusiast, he shows us photos of his bikes...the common language worldwide.
    KEA

Back on tarmac we meet the Irkutsk bike club heading for a rally in Europe, they've a long way to go!

More encounters in Siberia, these two lads have cycled across Mongolia from south Korea and are heading for.......Portugal!!!
    Much later in our trip we stop at two cafes in Kazahkstan and find they too had called there, small world sometimes.

Pete and I enjoy a coffee break

The Trans-Siberia railway became our constant companion.
    KEA

fantastic ive been waiting for this,,such amazing memories keep it coming

The Russian truckers

We stayed in a truckstop in Kansk.

A town full of good looking women.

But oh no, Rick and I get invited to drink vodka with a group of truckers.
    It's all going well, once raised, your glass mustn't touch the table until empty, we eat smoked Baikal fish and other foods between drinks.

Five bottles of vodka later, we've run out so a bottle of brandy is found.
    One of the truckers wants to see my bike round the back in the truck park.
    Reluctantly I go with him.

"I love you he confesses" pretenting and hoping for a misunderstanding I tell him yes " I love my bike"......"No" he insists, "I love YOU" and invites me to his truck.
    I tell him to feck off and beat a hasty retreat back to the bar where Rick is unknowingly being chatted up

My 'companion' returns and brushes his leg against mine
    I make a second retreat, this time to the safety of our room and tell the others of my ordeal, which was fairly frightening.

Rick storms into the room ten minutes later, "they're all fecking gay" he shouts and has had a similar lucky escape, but didn't thank me for leaving him alone with them.

The cafe's often sell a type of sausage roll, which is a sausage with strips of pastry wrapped around them.

They became known as 'Trucker's Knuckles'
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post

We stayed in a truckstop in Kansk.

A town full of good looking women.

But oh no, Rick and I get invited to drink vodka with a group of truckers.
    It's all going well, once raised, your glass mustn't touch the table until empty, we eat smoked Baikal fish and other foods between drinks.

Five bottles of vodka later, we've run out so a bottle of brandy is found.
    One of the truckers wants to see my bike round the back in the truck park.
    Reluctantly I go with him.

"I love you he confesses" pretenting and hoping for a misunderstanding I tell him yes " I love my bike"......"No" he insists, "I love YOU" and invites me to his truck.
    I tell him to feck off and beat a hasty retreat back to the bar where Rick is unknowingly being chatted up

My 'companion' returns and brushes his leg against mine
    I make a second retreat, this time to the safety of our room and tell the others of my ordeal, which was fairly frightening.

Rick storms into the room ten minutes later, "they're all fecking gay" he shouts and has had a similar lucky escape, but didn't thank me for leaving him alone with them.

The cafe's often sell a type of sausage roll, which is a sausage with strips of pastry wrapped around them.

They became known as 'Trucker's Knuckles'

Holy feck

dualing banjo's was playing in my mind as i read that

At last some flat tarmac, the undulating potholed surface often found in Russia gives the bikes an early pounding.
    Baz's top box comes off and is dragged behind him for a while before I could attract his attention.

Camping in Siberia is simply a matter of pulling off into the woods and finding a quiet clearing (and hope that no truckers turn up)!

Huge mosquitoes found ways to bite you no matter what defences you tried, and lying in your tent listenening to the nearby Trans-Siberian was a sound I'll always remember

Not all of us enjoyed five star luxury
    KEA

Lake Baikal

So to the southern tip of Lake Baikal, a real milestone in our journey.
    Pretty girls try to sell us dried fish and the people become more friendly.

We find somewhere to stay and locals lets us put the bikes in their garage before driving us out to eat and drink.
    On the way back the burly driver asks us if we'd like to drive his tank!!
    Oh yes!

In the darkness of his his big yard the twin petrol V8s are fired up and we pile inside taking it in turns to drive. Awesome.

Then we're shown some of his relics from the 1st world war.
    KEA

Heading up the east coast of Baikal, the railway accompanies us.

Following a back road on the coast we find this.

And a perfect campsite. Baz gets some washing done.

Camped on a spit of sand and grass, we're between Baikal and this lagoon behind.

Lying in my tent that night watching the sunset over Lake Baikal, I reflect on where we are. It seemed such a long way on the map.

And watch the fishermen try to get there vehicle out of the sand and stones

Tomorrow we're going to Mongolia!!!!!!!
    KEA

Brilliant story Tim, what a trip l'm getting excited just reading about it. Have to admit to being slightly envious. Looking forward to the rest of your report.
    Nick

The idillic sunset gave way to a chilly night and a cold wind blew off Lake Baikal straight into my tent.
    The North Face Tadpole tent I was using is well ventilated with a mesh inner door and roof more suited to warmer places.
    I found sleeping with my head at the far end a great solution.

I was enjoying Siberia and the lure of pressing on to Magadan would have to be for another day.
    Heading away from the lake we stop in a small town, the locals all resemble Borat and I get collared by a middle aged woman who is the local English teacher and wants to practice her language.

At long last we've stopped heading east and take turn south past Ulan Ude and towards the Mongolian border.

I see a bike ahead and quickly catch it, it's got a UK number plate, we all stop.
    We meet Dennis, an Australian travelling from Britain on a type of GS airhead by himself, his route is similar to ours. A lanky sort of pure Ozz and one of the most well travelled people I've ever met, I warm to him immediately.
    Later it's agreed he can travel with us during our month in Mongolia, our route is much more ambitious than his but he felt comfortable to do it in our company.
    So began what I hope will always continue to be a great friendship.

Next to the Mongolian border three local girls introduce themselves, the one on the rights not bad looking and I have an email address if anyone's interested, as for the other two, well as I got to know Dennis better I reckon he would

Late afternoon and we're poised for entering Mongolia, a moment I'd anticipated for a long, long time.
    Would it be all I'd hoped for, would it present the challenges I sought and the freedom I yearned for............?
    KEA

A smartly dressed young man who works at the border helped us through customs.
    Once through, I race towards the others, jubilantly sliding the back wheel sideways and stopping in a cloud of dust YEEHAA!!

We'd only been on the road for 18 days, one of those was spent stuck at the border. So that was the 7,000 mile liason stage over with.

It's late and we need to eat, the border official takes us to a decent place to eat around 20 miles south.

Fatty mutton soup followed by six of these each, they are fatty mutton pasties, our host manages only two, Baz just about manages all six not to be outdone, I do my best but stall at five and a half and nearly throw up.
    The taste of fatty mutton is a big part of Mongolian cuisine mmmm!

KEA

i am hooked!
    well done so far guys...
    keep it coming...

great stuff and nice pics too...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Fantastic RR.

Keep it coming.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast