Heavy Metal around Mongolia and Central Asia

just finished re-reading.... brilliant report of an amazing trip.

thanks for taking the time to write it.

This is really great stuff. I love pictures such these.

It makes so much fun to look at them.

Furthermore there are great memories.

I knew I shouldn't have read this.......

Well now you have Mark and I still want a pic of those panniers in Mongolia :D

Great to meet you yesterday, we'll catch up again.

Brilliant ride report which I've thoroughly enjoyed reading. A question for you please Tim.

If you were to do it again would you do it on an 1150 or 1200 or something lighter like your 640 or a 690? Does the comfort on the road of the bigger bike outweigh the benefits of a smaller bike off road? I guess it depends on how much off road you do but I'm still curious especially as I rode my 690 to Mongolia over the course of 2 months via the Stans before flying it back. Cheers.

Brilliant ride report which I've thoroughly enjoyed reading. A question for you please Tim.

If you were to do it again would you do it on an 1150 or 1200 or something lighter like your 640 or a 690? Does the comfort on the road of the bigger bike outweigh the benefits of a smaller bike off road? I guess it depends on how much off road you do but I'm still curious especially as I rode my 690 to Mongolia over the course of 2 months via the Stans before flying it back. Cheers.
Aha the $100 question :D

I rarely use a GS for trips these days, now I'd use either the 640 adv or quite likely my 950SE.

Ten years ago we'd just set off, where did the time go?!!! :beerjug:

Good one Tim ... indeed, where does the time go :rob

Fourteen years ago today we were camping wild near Darvi, Mongolia. My diary says the night sky was magnificent.

:beerjug:

Just read through this, somewhat late for the party:blast

I suppose I'm like many on here, a million and one reasons why I could never do such a trip, I suspect it'll be one of my great regrets when I look back.

But tremendous to read this account of a wonderful expedtion. I'm in awe.

Just read through this, somewhat late for the party:blast

I suppose I'm like many on here, a million and one reasons why I could never do such a trip, I suspect it'll be one of my great regrets when I look back.

But tremendous to read this account of a wonderful expedtion. I'm in awe.

Good to hear you enjoyed it and do understand your sentiment. :thumb

All I can say is, if anyone does find a window in their life when something seems possible, then you'll also find a million and one reasons why you must.
One the other hand looking back with regret would be harsh on yourself because as you say, there's really are often a million and one reasons you didn't or couldn't and that particular window wasn't open but others were :beerjug:

Good to hear you enjoyed it and do understand your sentiment. :thumb

All I can say is, if anyone does find a window in their life when something seems possible, then you'll also find a million and one reasons why you must.
One the other hand looking back with regret would be harsh on yourself because as you say, there's really are often a million and one reasons you didn't or couldn't and that particular window wasn't open but others were :beerjug:

Wise words Tim. Thanks for posting this thread, which must have taken much time and effort. At the very least, I can see what I've missed:blast

Great read , stumbled upon it and started reading when getting over the second knee replacement...absolutely fantastic. Well done lads and great write up.

This ride report's been a long haul so we'll travel these last few miles with a large glass of single malt in hand.

Rick and Baz already have their tickets and been waiting at Calais for 16 hours in order we can all cross the Channel together.
Pete and I buy tickets for the same crossing and we're all directed towards the check in.

We ride where directed and board the ferry.
Upstairs on the open deck I'm waiting for Rick, who's sure to have a smoke up here.
Then Pete tells me he and I had been put on an earlier ferry, Baz's luck had struck again, we set sail leaving them in Calais.

With the white cliffs of Dover coming into view once again, we'd travelled for 3 months, passed through 22 different countries and covered 17,000 miles but most importantly had met hundreds of wonderful people.

They say travels broadens the mind.
What had I learnt?

Well, to avoid Russian truckers and Azerbaijani ommelette makers obviously!
745392079_7LTpa-XL.jpg

Tim whilst on holiday In Ireland I have stumbled on this thread. Thank you for taking the time to write such an interesting RR. So real and completely opposite of the “ big pr” rides.

Great trip, well done all.

Question: Did the riders lose much weight on the trip? I think I might have struggled a bit with some of the food :D

Back
Top Bottom