Slow as ferk

Steve V

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My laptop has slowed down over the past week or so and i cant think of anything I've done:nenau I have Norton anti virus which I would have hoped would have stopped any virus's. As you have probably realised I am a computer numpty so would be grateful for any pointers as to what I could try to speed the blighter up.

Cheers
Steve :thumb

I had the same problem. A mate recommended a free download called CCleaner. It deletes all the old crap like temporary internet files etc. Computer speeded up massively afterwards. Run it every couple of weeks now.

Hiya,

I am by no means anyone who is computer knoweldgeable....but have you defrgged it?....did this on my work steam driven one and it has really speeded it up....

Hope this may help
Morticia:type

I have Norton anti virus

And that, in a nutshell, is the most likely cause of your woes Steve.

Ditch the Norton and use free AV software from the web such as AVG or Avast and you should see a marked improvement in your computers' performance. :thumb2

If your Norton AV is not the 2009 version then definetly ditch it - the 2009 version is fast so it will/should not be Norton affecting your speed.

in XP
Right to go with ccleaner. Do both registry and all files. Also defrag. Now go to: run and type in msconfig. Go to start up and untick all except antivius programs. Apply. Restart and click don't show the screen again. This will set selective start up. You can always reverse it if needed by going back in to startup and setting normal startup. No go to: run and type in cmd. Type "ckkdsk /f" , note the space between chkdsk and /. It will run checkdisk when the computer starts up next time.

Let me know how it goes

PS get rid of Nortons and use something like Kaspersky Internet Security. You may need a special program to fully remove Nortons

Thanks everyone, I have binned Norton through the method suggested installed AVG, downloaded Reg cure. Its been defragmenting for 24 hours and still going which cant be right:confused:
Clive I will have a go at your suggestions once the ferking defragmenting ends.
There have been slight improvements but still takes ages to look at a pic and video is a non starter.

yours Mentally exhausted

from Durham

Back
Top Bottom