Garmin V plus advice

(RIP) willstatt

Lost
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Perhaps some of you with experience of the Garmin V plus, could give me some advice?

How detailed is the basic European basemap? Does it just show cities, Motorways and major roads, or what?

If I was doing a trip to Catalunya (North Easter Spain) can I upload detail of just that area, from the supplied CD, via my PC, and then to what detail is that? Does it show all minor roads, and villages?

The Garmin site is not really very clear on the level of detail, and I reckon one or more of you lot, would be able to give a far better insight into the what detail is possible...... please!

I've decided to go for a V+ instead of the 176, because although I take Paul G's points about greater capacity, and that simple goto is sufficient (which I agree with) I just think it looks to big on the bike.......

Any help much appreciated!

I have a Garmin V. The European basemap is motorways and A roads with all major towns and cities, but no great detail. If you purchase a V+ you will get the unlock code for "European City Select, All Regions, Oct. 01" - something on earlier deals you would have had to pay $174.98 for, as I had to - which shows great detail.
Once the Garmin CD's have been downloaded to your PC you can unlock and view the "mapsource" software. As you pass your cursor over the map of Europe, zooming in and out to show available detail, a yellow rectangle will show you the area covered by each individual downloadable map. Left click, the area will then highlight pink and it's mapsource name will appear in the left hand column of the page with the amount of memory it will use up on your V, the unit's capacity is approximately 19mb which is roughly London (as detailed as A-Z) plus Bucks and Berks, or for the benefit of your planned trip virtually all of Spain(18 maps) - I've just checked it for you. 19mb takes roughly 35 minutes to download to the unit, the downside is that you can't add or take away these maps at will - to change you must complete the whole process again, although of course you can save each map set on your PC for future ease of use.

Chris

Garmin V plus

Brilliant reply!.... Just the info that I needed..... thanks v much for your time.

Will

One more question

Sorry, just another thing I would like to know: On my old 'standard' Garmin GPS12..... I could enter large amounts of my own way points, and track logs, which was very useful when doing extensive trail rides in remote areas of Spain....... Does the V have the same capacity for user input, even when the memory is fully used up with the required mapping detail for a chosen area from the CD?

The above probably is explained on the Garmin site, but a third party opinion is much more valuable!

Many thanks

Will

Willstatt ask away no problem. The 19mb is dedicated memory for downloading detailed maps from mapsource and does not affect information inputted by the user such as tracks etc.

Chris :)

It's perhaps worth adding that the quality of maps varies from country to country. Whilst the whole of the UK is available on a Garmin European City Select down to individual street level countrywide, that same level of detail is not available for Spain except in the major cities. I think that is less a reflection on Garmin than on the individual country's cartographers. I assume that UK data has been supplied by OS.

Greg

Garmin V

Well have taken the plunge..... Garmin V arrived this morning from Bracken.... they did me good deal for Garmin/Touratech mount/power lead.

Thanks for all the help..... will let you know if I get lost!!!

Will

Back
Top Bottom